6 yr old boy fatally shoots 5 yr old sister. Parents had trained boy how to use hand gun.

crash_davis

8 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

You are intent on waging a needless war. The issue seems to be with him playing video games, not the games themselves. Sounds like the stepdad poster here agrees his access to these games is a problem. So he’ll stop it. And when he sneaks shit like growing boys will do, hopefully his stepdad will have taught him responsible gun ownership. Sounds like he has and there isn’t a problem. But don’t let that stop you from creating one. 

I have no problem if a parent wants to keep their child away from violent material. I question whether is it practical, but I don't criticize the desire. I do criticize the mistake of assuming the ability to operate a slide is a result of exposure to violent video games rather than an intentional design choice by the manufacturer to make the gun easy to use. Games have been a scape goat for a long time and it needs to stop. 

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Six is probably a little young for a handgun, but not out of the ordinary for something like a .22 while under strict supervision. Maybe they showed him how to shoot it thinking he would realize how powerful it was and have more respect for it?

Oh yeah, I'm sure that's it.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

He said seven, not six. Good luck keeping a first or second grader away from all games and media depicting the use of a firearm. Absent locking them up in a closet, I'm going to say this is impossible in modern America. And, blaming a videogame for a kid being able to rack the slide on a gun is stupid. Guns are made to be easy to use. I'm pretty confident that even with absolutely zero exposure to guns, a typical 3 year-old would be pulling the slide on pretty much any handgun in a matter of minutes just because it is like the only moving part.

I didn't blame the video game. I asked him where he learned to do that and that's what he fucking told me. It was not "intuitive" for him or already programmed in his brain. That's fucking stupid. The slide on most semi autos, and this one in particular, are fairly stiff and heavy, not some "moving part" flopping around that would be easy or obvious how to use for a small child.  And as far as the "only" moving part....umm yeah that's a stupid comment considering all guns have a trigger that moves. Now that might be something a child would most likely not need someone to show them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I have no problem if a parent wants to keep their child away from violent material. I question whether is it practical, but I don't criticize the desire. I do criticize the mistake of assuming the ability to operate a slide is a result of exposure to violent video games rather than an intentional design choice by the manufacturer to make the gun easy to use. Games have been a scape goat for a long time and it needs to stop. 

Nobody is blaming video games from what I can tell. The guy was stating the desire to be more diligent in keeping his stepson from age inappropriate material. I’m not sure why we aren’t all aligned in our feelings on this and think we are when we’re not looking for fights. 

1 hour ago, Cornpop said:

I didn't blame the video game. I asked him where he learned to do that and that's what he fucking told me. It was not "intuitive" for him or already programmed in his brain. That's fucking stupid. The slide on most semi autos, and this one in particular, are fairly stiff and heavy, not some "moving part" flopping around that would be easy or obvious how to use for a small child.  And as far as the "only" moving part....umm yeah that's a stupid comment considering all guns have a trigger that moves. Now that might be something a child would most likely not need someone to show them. 

You got me. There are two moving parts. I'm just saying the guns are designed to be intuitive and easy to use. I have no doubt exposure to video games and movies makes it even more obvious what to do. But I don't think it would take any 7 year old very long to do the same thing regardless of whether they had ever seen a gun before. It sounds like we agree on this. 

29 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Nobody is blaming video games from what I can tell. The guy was stating the desire to be more diligent in keeping his stepson from age inappropriate material. I’m not sure why we aren’t all aligned in our feelings on this and think we are when we’re not looking for fights. 

I don't have an issue with the parental preference. Regardless of whether the posters intended to redirect blame at video games, that is how it came off. Given how often videogames have been blamed for violence, I don't think it is unfair to object to similar statements. So I did. And it appears the issue is resolved. Yay. 

1 hour ago, Cornpop said:

Agree with the slide point.  I have girls (now 31 and 28) and when they were young I kept my weapons safely away from them—they never shot them and never cared to try.  In any event, there is no way either of my daughters could have been physically able to pull back the slide to load my Browning Hi-Power when they were adolescents or even in their early teen years.  They’d have a tough time pulling the slide now. I suspect boys are not much stronger than girls until they hit their teens, but I can’t remember.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Agree with the slide point.  I have girls (now 31 and 28) and when they were young I kept my weapons safely away from them—they never shot them and never cared to try.  In any event, there is no way either of my daughters could have been physically able to pull back the slide to load my Browning Hi-Power when they were adolescents or even in their early teen years.  They’d have a tough time pulling the slide now. I suspect boys are not much stronger than girls until they hit their teens, but I can’t remember.  

Exactly. This was a glock .40 cal and the slide is very stiff and he was not able to successfully rack it. Also he HAD to have seen it done somewhere before in his life, either tv, in person or video game. It is not an obvious part or labeled "pull back here" on any semi auto. It is learned behavior

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Basically I think what we’ve learned is Cornpop is banging Dahobbs’ ex-wife. Kid goes to Dad, and Call of Duty and Fortnite and other nerd games that caused Mrs. Hobbs to become Mrs. Pop are infiltrating lil Hobbs, causing a parenting nightmare for Cornpop. 

Six is too young for a handgun. My oldest boy got trained on a  22lr long gun when he was 9 and took down his first deer when he was 10 (with an EBR nonetheless). My daughter has shown interest in hunting but not guns, per se. She'll probably hit the blind with me this season if we can work it around her sports activities. Youngest is 6 and no fucking way that kid is touching anything more than water guns and nerf for a while.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My old man schooled me up on rifles and pistol (22 LRs) when I was 6.  While a stateside Marine (3 tours in Vietnam) he was a marksmanship instructor.  

Safety and proficiency were taught. Respect was was demanded.  

He must have been really good at firearms immersion because never once did I remotely consider looking for or handling his firearms.   I knew where they were and what they did.  

To me they seemed (and still do) as a shovel hanging on the garage walll or a spatula in a kitchen drawer.  Just a tool that doesn’t t get a thought until time to be used. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, deadshank said:

My old man schooled me up on rifles and pistol (22 LRs) when I was 6.  While a stateside Marine (3 tours in Vietnam) he was a marksmanship instructor.  

He must have been really good at firearms immersion because never once did I remotely consider looking for or handling his firearms.   I knew where they were and what they did.  

To me they seemed (and still do) as a shovel hanging on the garage walll or a spatula in a kitchen drawer.  Just a tool that doesn’t t get a thought until time to be used. 

You mean it's not a toy?

18 minutes ago, Bookman said:

You mean it's not a toy?

Uh, no.  

Hearing some guy or seeing some guy on a social media site say “check out my new toy” while displaying a recently acquired  pistol or rawfle makes my blood boil.  

It’s not a toy.  

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s not true.

There is a six-year old in the United States that hasn't played with Nerf Gun, water gun, or an action figure with a gun? I guess I believe it isn't 100%, but it has to be pretty damn close. 

19 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I let my 6-yo drive my car, but only from San Marcos to New Braunfels, and I didn't let her get on the interstate.  

See how stupid that sounds?

Used to be some cool backroads along that stretch, I'm talking old wagon trails, but they got murdered and turned into multilane McMansion frying-pan temples to anonymity.

There are a lot of tools I would not teach my six year old (reminder— that’s kindergarten and first grade) to use. No message for them needed besides “never touch this.” Belt sanders. Wood chippers. Riding lawn mowers. Angle grinders. Arc welders. 

All things that have a purpose and all things that aren’t safe in a six year old’s hands even under the closest supervision. Why in the blue hell would a handgun, which is useful only to shoot people or practice shooting people, be different? For fucks sake, we don’t let first graders use hot glue guns. 

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

image.gif.e05b4928a7f25f6f8f66cb9f8ae5adc2.gif