Oven/range - what do I want

We put in a 48" Blue Star cooktop thanks to the Shaggy/Surly hive mind.  I'm a terrible cook, but I absolutely love it.  I had to learn how to tweak the flow as I'm pretty sure my installer didn't know what he was doing, but it still gets hot AF.  The simmer burner is great.  The small griddle insert gets used all the time for grilled cheese/quesadillas (haven't ever used the grill insert).  The custom colored knobs were stupid expensive but look great. 

Probably my favorite thing we did in the kitchen, although I feel a little bad for ruining my boys on their future shitty apartment stoves.

And as far as electronics and shit, it was great to be able to manually light it and make chili during Snowmageddon.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 7 months later...

I'm now looking to buy and re-reading this thread. All of this shit is way overkill for me. I don't need (or want) a $6k range. We make mac n cheese and eggs. But I am paranoid about some of these brands that are in the $3 and $4k range. Forget Miele and Wolf and Thermador, I would settle for GE or Kitchenaid but those are also $6k. I'm definitely doing 36" gas stove and either convection or air fryer oven combo with an under cabinet ducted hood. Any recs?

If I filter 36" gas on Lowes website I get Kucht, Premier, Forno, Thor, Kosmo, NXR etc. I appreciate the surly culinary institute's preference towards the good life but I really, really don't need that. I have never once regretted the piece of crap $400 range we used to have. It just needs to look nice, be functional, not break and fit in with the rest of the newly redone kitchen. 

7 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Additional question, if I am looking at gas stovetop with a convection or air fryer is that already "dual fuel" or do I specifically need to find units that say dual fuel assuming I want that?

I don’t know how common they are in consumer circles, but it’s my understanding that gas convection ovens exist, so I’d make sure that the oven is electric, though that’s pretty likely to be the case. Much to the chagrin of those who know or deal with me, I rarely think being too specific is a problem, so I’d make absolutely sure I was getting a gas cooktop and electric oven. 

• Like 1

My son and daughter in law put in a complete ZLine kitchen in a farmhouse they did a total gutting to because they went to a party and the host, a town mover and shaker, had one. So she bought into the bullshit without consulting me. Not only have I been involved in appliance retail for much of my career, I still have connections that could have gotten them a great deal on practically anything in the market.

She got a zline 36” dual fuel range, microwave drawer, dishwasher, vent hood. Looks great. Way cheaper than similar looking top brands. And all has been disappointing and unreliable.

Zline is the oldest trick in the book. High end outside covering mundane insides. It is a U.S. based company that touts American, German and Italian “materials” and made in “Asia”. China. It was built initially as an internet based direct to consumer company and remains that as their primary market strategery. Try getting it serviced. Customer service is a joke.

The range is hot garbage. The electric convection oven cooks unevenly in the worst way. The gas cooktop has six burners. The controls are wonky, the ignition is slow and unreliable, and the burners cook differently everytime it seems you use them.

The drawer MWO mechanism is terrible. It typically won’t close properly so you can’t turn it on. We’ve got it perfectly level. It’s a cheap motor and latch mechanism. No turntable so it depends on a stirring fan on the mag tube. It’s got bad hot and cold spots.

The dishwasher has the sorriest interface and controls I’ve ever used. It also simply doesn’t clean dishes nor dry them properly. Junk.

The vent hood actually works but not at the level you’d expect at that price point.

Appliances are fucking work implements. Don’t waste your money on fashion or cosmetics. I would put in rental unit appliances over Zline.

Can it make eggs and boil water though? Jesus fucking Christ I'm going to have to spend 6k on a range to make eggs and boil water. I'm going to be penniless when this remodel is over. 

You are feeling the issue: fucking fashion. Folks will spend $10k on a fancy range and do nothing but sit pizza boxes and chicken buckets on it.

There is zero reason to spend $6k on a range. If you can cook you cook. It’s like fancy golf clubs. If you can play you don’t need them. If you can’t play they won’t help your game. Even the most forgiving clubs can’t forgive a shit swing.

17 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

You are feeling the issue: fucking fashion. Folks will spend $10k on a fancy range and do nothing but sit pizza boxes and chicken buckets on it.

There is zero reason to spend $6k on a range. If you can cook you cook. It’s like fancy golf clubs. If you can play you don’t need them. If you can’t play they won’t help your game. Even the most forgiving clubs can’t forgive a shit swing.

You sound like someone who thinks they are a good cook, but you really aren't.  Ovens, especially, will definitely cook better on the higher end (they will cook more evenly and have more cooking modes).  the range depends but lower end ranges don't have the power (especially with gas) that higher end units have.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

You sound like someone who thinks they are a good cook, but you really aren't.  Ovens, especially, will definitely cook better on the higher end (they will cook more evenly and have more cooking modes).  the range depends but lower end ranges don't have the power (especially with gas) that higher end units have.

Unless you’re racing to boil water, when you’re using decent to awesome cookware, how much top end power does a home cook need?

Now, I admit straight up that I’m no chef but I can cook and bake pretty well. My frosting and decorating skills give an outcome that could charitably be called rustic, but they taste fine. Using Tramontina and All Clad cookware on induction — didn’t get gas to the kitchen when the house was built and not worth the price to do it now, but my parents have a gas range that I cook on — I have almost zero use for anything above 6/10. Unless I’m boiling water. 

Ovens, yeah, a low rent oven with uneven heating is just awful. 100% agree.

25 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Unless you’re racing to boil water, when you’re using decent to awesome cookware, how much top end power does a home cook need?

Now, I admit straight up that I’m no chef but I can cook and bake pretty well. My frosting and decorating skills give an outcome that could charitably be called rustic, but they taste fine. Using Tramontina and All Clad cookware on induction — didn’t get gas to the kitchen when the house was built and not worth the price to do it now, but my parents have a gas range that I cook on — I have almost zero use for anything above 6/10. Unless I’m boiling water. 

Ovens, yeah, a low rent oven with uneven heating is just awful. 100% agree.

Uh, All-Clad is awesome cookware, FYI.  Some of the best out there.

You need more power to do things like get a good sear on meat, or use a wok, or, as you say, to boil water faster.  

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Uh, All-Clad is awesome cookware, FYI.  Some of the best out there.

You need more power to do things like get a good sear on meat, or use a wok, or, as you say, to boil water faster.  

Yes, I know it is. That’s why I’m willing to pay for it. 

Meat sears at 6 on my induction top with All Clad. I don’t use a wok, so that may go along with boiling water a little faster.

• Hook 'Em 1

People spend money on things they like. Some do it to impress others I guess, but I like having the best tool for the job and disagree it doesn't help or at least improve the experience. Cheap, shitty kitchen appliances are a beating to use. My old house had a plastic faucet when we moved in. It worked so I guess it was fine, but it was one of the first things I changed out. I also upgraded all of the appliances to the best that was appropriate for that particular house price point and had zero regrets. To each their own though.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Okie State said:

People spend money on things they like. Some do it to impress others I guess, but I like having the best tool for the job and disagree it doesn't help or at least improve the experience. Cheap, shitty kitchen appliances are a beating to use. My old house had a plastic faucet when we moved in. It worked so I guess it was fine, but it was one of the first things I changed out. I also upgraded all of the appliances to the best that was appropriate for that particular house price point and had zero regrets. To each their own though.

Stainless steel sinks, no matter how stylish they are designed to look or how much they cost, strike me as garbage and remind me of living in cheap apartments. My enameled cast iron doesn’t hold water any better, but I’m willing to pay for it, regardless. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Stainless steel sinks, no matter how stylish they are designed to look or how much they cost, strike me as garbage and remind me of living in cheap apartments. My enameled cast iron doesn’t hold water any better, but I’m willing to pay for it, regardless. 
My cast iron sink is awesome. I'd never switch back.

You missed the point. Most folks who buy ultra highend appliances have no use for the higher performance because they aren’t serious cooks. Most of them are purchased because of aspirational brand and cosmetics. Most folks don’t need that to heat a can of soup or make a grilled cheese. If you bake and roast enough and have skills to need the nuanced performance of a $10k range then step up. I’m just saying for most purchasers it’s like giving a 6 year old a 59 Strat. Waste.

Oven performance varies wildly across the category. I believe for most folks a solid brand upper mid level range is more than adequate to be a great home cook. I’m a big fan of induction cooktops, but would also like a 1 million btu wok burner too.

To me the dumbest buyers are those that want restored mid century appliances for their mid cent house. Yeah spend thousands on a energy inefficient 54 Kelvinator that needs defrosting every two weeks and eats electricity like a bitcoin mibw. Goes nice with your shitty 59 OKeefe and Merrit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Can it make eggs and boil water though? Jesus fucking Christ I'm going to have to spend 6k on a range to make eggs and boil water. I'm going to be penniless when this remodel is over. 

What in the fuck is going on in this thread.  Viking ranges? 

Dude, just get an induction top.  It's smooth.  It's sleek.  It doesn't require gas service.  It's incredibly easy to wipe clean.  It doesn't generate extra heat.  It boils water faster than 99% domestic gas range and anything short of a jet engine.  And because you're doing electric for stove, get electric oven too (or you'll have done that anyway if buying a 1-piece slide-in unit).

Literal plug and play.  Done.

For the ventilation it's much less critical because you're not needing to exhaust gases.  I think downdraft and sidedrafts are kinda dumb so overhead hoods are the best but get whatever aesthetics you like most.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

What in the fuck is going on in this thread.  Viking ranges? 

Dude, just get an induction top.  It's smooth.  It's sleek.  It doesn't require gas service.  It's incredibly easy to wipe clean.  It doesn't generate extra heat.  It boils water faster than 99% domestic gas range and anything short of a jet engine.  And because you're doing electric for stove, get electric oven too (or you'll have done that anyway if buying a 1-piece slide-in unit).

Literal plug and play.  Done.

For the ventilation it's much less critical because you're not needing to exhaust gases.  I think downdraft and sidedrafts are kinda dumb so overhead hoods are the best but get whatever aesthetics you like most.

Ship has pretty much sailed on this with the design, as well. I've already got plumbers planning gas lines. We had to run a gas line upstairs as we are moving the laundry to the second story so they are shooting off of that and coming into the kitchen wall. The one that they tore out was a ~ $500 induction range. It worked fine but I think I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to having a proper gas range. I think I'm happy with that choice, as of now.

I am starting to zero in on some mid options from legit name brands with solid track records and reviews. Frigidaire, KitchenAid, Electrolux, Cafe etc. I'm sure someone will shit on them but I think I reached peak give a fuck yesterday and I'm on my way back down.

• Like 1

Personal preferences are personal. I’ve wanted a gas range for a while, especially after using my parents’. I have gas to the house for the furnace and water heater, but it doesn’t run to the kitchen. After looking into get it extended into the kitchen I got induction instead. I wouldn’t trade it for gas now if someone showed up with free plumbing and a cooktop. It makes the whole kitchen just too damned hot and, for me, doesn’t offer any advantages at all, other than the visceral satisfaction of cooking with fire and seeing the flame. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 7/26/2023 at 9:55 AM, Baboontyme said:

Can't tear up the kitchen design at this point. Because this has been my kitchen since 7/7. PXL_20230707_152727282.thumb.jpg.5f75bfc406953f65fdddc5b80298ea92.jpg

Do yourself a favor and search like a mofo for any squeaks in the underlayment and fix those with glue and screws. And level out the floor if necessary before the new flooring gets put down.

I've got dual fuel, double oven slide in range.  I think if I were to do it over today I would go induction.  Only thing I really wish I would have done on my kitchen remodel would have been to at a point of use instant water heater at the kitchen sink.  As my kitchen is a ways from my water heater, and instant hot water would be nice for the sink and great for the dishwasher.  

I also love my large single sink, as it allows me to put sheet pans and monster cutting boards in from BBQing.

If that clean rectangle was your prior cabinet set up you have to be excited as hell!  Mine was a galley before I opened it up.

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

Do yourself a favor and search like a mofo for any squeaks in the underlayment and fix those with glue and screws. And level out the floor if necessary before the new flooring gets put down.

I've got dual fuel, double oven slide in range.  I think if I were to do it over today I would go induction.  Only thing I really wish I would have done on my kitchen remodel would have been to at a point of use instant water heater at the kitchen sink.  As my kitchen is a ways from my water heater, and instant hot water would be nice for the sink and great for the dishwasher.  

I also love my large single sink, as it allows me to put sheet pans and monster cutting boards in from BBQing.

If that clean rectangle was your prior cabinet set up you have to be excited as hell!  Mine was a galley before I opened it up.

I'll post pics later of the design. Definitely going to love it. I would say no critiquing allowed since it's set in stone at this point but alas this is surly. 

I just got a text back that I can get the Frigidaire dual fuel for $4100. I think that's a winner. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Reading good things about the range but not the dishwashers and refrigerators for Frigidaire. Seem to recall people having issues with LG refrigerators but they are consistently rated they highest on CR. Good LG dishwasher on there for a good price that compares well to their top overall. Anyone have any feedback on LG refrigerators?

Reading good things about the range but not the dishwashers and refrigerators for Frigidaire. Seem to recall people having issues with LG refrigerators but they are consistently rated they highest on CR. Good LG dishwasher on there for a good price that compares well to their top overall. Anyone have any feedback on LG refrigerators?
I would buy KitchenAid fridge and dishwasher. I've had good luck with both as they're just slightly nicer Whirlpools.

Had an LG dishwasher die after a few years. Have heard the same with fridges although not as bad as Samsung.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

With a tremendous sample size of one, my parents have an LG fridge — French door with access to the contents of one top door without opening the entire door — and they love it. 

I’m on 11 years with ours.  It’s going to break now that I’ve typed this, but it has had not a single issue.   Will replace with a top end unit when it goes, or during kitchen remodel. Whichever comes first.  

3 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Good LG dishwasher on there for a good price that compares well to their top overall.

Also, this should be Bosch or Miele. Trust us. 

• Like 1

Man, my parents’ Bosch double oven lasts just long enough between repairs to get out of warranty. I get that no company is immune from lemons and it’s just their experience, but it’s been just awful. Dishwashers are a different animal, of course. Their KitchenAid dishwasher is amazingly quiet and has been flawless. 

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Yep. Miele. Not a surprise. When they work they are great. Then they don’t work. It’s like Jaguar made appliances.

Damn. First review I’ve seen of this nature. And you said you have a history of appliances?    We’ve been happy with our Bosch but not over the moon.  Waaaaaay better than the whirlpool it replaced, but I was always upset we didn’t go the Miele route.   That said, we got it for $99 because the front skin was gouged at store. I put $150 skin on it and am in it for $250. 

On 7/27/2023 at 11:11 AM, Doc Daneeka said:

Personal preferences are personal. I’ve wanted a gas range for a while, especially after using my parents’. I have gas to the house for the furnace and water heater, but it doesn’t run to the kitchen. After looking into get it extended into the kitchen I got induction instead. I wouldn’t trade it for gas now if someone showed up with free plumbing and a cooktop. It makes the whole kitchen just too damned hot and, for me, doesn’t offer any advantages at all, other than the visceral satisfaction of cooking with fire and seeing the flame. 

I spent the weekend with friends and we traded off cooking duties.  Brand new house.  High end Wolf gas cooktop.  It was fine and I got used to it, but  definitely missed my induction cooktop.  I got it for the exact same reasons as you after wanting a gas cooktop for a long time.  And I wouldn't trade it for gas at this point.  Apart from using it with a wok or beating the snot out of my pans by dragging them across the grates, it does everything I want from a cooktop and still looks brand new after four years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

I spent the weekend with friends and we traded off cooking duties.  Brand new house.  High end Wolf gas cooktop.  It was fine and I got used to it, but  definitely missed my induction cooktop.  I got it for the exact same reasons as you after wanting a gas cooktop for a long time.  And I wouldn't trade it for gas at this point.  Apart from using it with a wok or beating the snot out of my pans by dragging them across the grates, it does everything I want from a cooktop and still looks brand new after four years.

I don’t use a wok, but you did mention another advantage I didn’t mention. I thought about adding it, but it was too late. Banging around the cast iron without having to be overly concerned about the cooking surface is definitely an advantage for gas, or at least for the big ass grates, compared to what I can do with induction. My previous range was a ceramic top “conventional” range, so I was already used to it, but I do treat the induction surface with much more care and paranoia than the gas range. What I have to trade off in extra caution, I gain back in ease of cleaning. 

I haven’t had it for a super long time, but I’m already in the habit of having all my ingredients prepped beforehand. Previously, and even to some extent with gas, I’d finish the chopping or whatever while things we coming to heat. No big deal, though I know it’s best practice not to do it that way. Hell, this Saturday I was making a balsamic reduction for some chicken and that stuff was bubbling on 5 — on the lowest powered burner — by the time I’d gotten the honey from the pantry. 

I’m glad I wasn’t a dumbass and didn’t skip induction. Super happy with it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I don’t use a wok, but you did mention another advantage I didn’t mention. I thought about adding it, but it was too late. Banging around the cast iron without having to be overly concerned about the cooking surface is definitely an advantage for gas, or at least for the big ass grates, compared to what I can do with induction. My previous range was a ceramic top “conventional” range, so I was already used to it, but I do treat the induction surface with much more care and paranoia than the gas range. What I have to trade off in extra caution, I gain back in ease of cleaning. 

I haven’t had it for a super long time, but I’m already in the habit of having all my ingredients prepped beforehand. Previously, and even to some extent with gas, I’d finish the chopping or whatever while things we coming to heat. No big deal, though I know it’s best practice not to do it that way. Hell, this Saturday I was making a balsamic reduction for some chicken and that stuff was bubbling on 5 — on the lowest powered burner — by the time I’d gotten the honey from the pantry. 

I’m glad I wasn’t a dumbass and didn’t skip induction. Super happy with it. 

I probably mentioned it upthread, but I put silicone baking rounds on the HOBs and set the pans on that.  I can move them around a little and no scratches.  I usually just pick them up if I want to toss the contents around.  There's a pretty long delay of it sensing no pan before it shuts off.  So that's not a problem.  I don't mess around with that kind of thing with my cast iron though.  I dropped one of those on my old glass top (traditional electric).  It did not go well.  Anyway.  Like you said, no regrets.

Damn. First review I’ve seen of this nature. And you said you have a history of appliances?    We’ve been happy with our Bosch but not over the moon.  Waaaaaay better than the whirlpool it replaced, but I was always upset we didn’t go the Miele route.   That said, we got it for $99 because the front skin was gouged at store. I put $150 skin on it and am in it for $250. 
People overwhelmingly love Miele, but they're still appliances and can break at any time. It was between Bosch and Miele for us based on reputation. Bosch was a year wait so we went with Miele. So far so good, but only time will tell.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My folks have a Miele dishwasher and love it.  It replaced a leaking Kitchenaid.

I've had an induction range for a couple of years now.  I wanted gas, but we don't have it at the city level so I'd need a big ass ugly tank in my yard that says, "Bubba's Got Gas."

That made the induction decision an easy one.  Mine is a Kitchenaid range with a double oven.  I love it.  I miss turning knobs to control the heat because I'm still not used to the touch pad.  That is my only gripe.  It's great in the summer because the heat doesn't dictate what I can cook while keeping the A/C from going out.

If cooking super splattery stuff i just spread newspaper across the induction top. Magnet works through the paper. Voila - no cleanup. 

You can wok with a flat-bottom wok. I have a small propane stove for round wok (and previously used it on charcoal grill). Doesnt make a real difference because “real” chinese wok cooks use mega burners, but most many use flat bottom with standard burners like we do at home. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Smart! You discovered to value of scratch n dent appliances. Also value in floor models. It’s never been used. Save some bucks.

Like I said, Miele is a great performing product but when they break they are aggravating. Back when I dealt with them the reliability didn’t match the price. And as I’ve said dependability is my first consideration for appliances. Serviceability is second.

15 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Smart! You discovered to value of scratch n dent appliances. Also value in floor models. It’s never been used. Save some bucks.

To be fair, it was no longer scratched or dented a few days later.  I remember looking up the price for the skin right there in the store, being floored how inexpensive it was compared to other parts, and then buying the unit. Ordered the skin from the parking lot of the big box store.  It was easy af to change out if you are even remotely mechanically inclined.  

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

internet consensus says that LG makes the best clothes washer, and Bosch and Miele makes the best dish washers.  Nobody makes the best fridge because it's mostly the water/ice dispenser that fails, which they all do.  These appliances involve strong motors and pumps and pipes and transport of fluids and heaters and such. 

Stoves and Ovens and even Dryers are relatively mechanically simple so they tend to be reliable, which means the only thing you care about are features and ergonomics.