SIAP Redshirt Rule Passed

Injury Prone

https://t.co/mamrN2h5pm?amp=1

DI football to offer more participation opportunities 

Starting this season, football players can play in up to four games without losing a season of competition 

June 13, 2018 12:37pmMichelle Brutlag Hosick

College athletes competing in Division I football can participate in up to four games in a season without using a season of competition, the Division I Council decided this week at its meeting in Indianapolis.

It's not retroactive, but this is going to be a big deal. I also think it's a great rule change. Restricting transfers seems like bullshit to me even though unlimited transfers would ruin continuity. That argument doesn't outweigh what is the right thing to do for the individual athletes in my mind.

But this change is the right way to approach it. Give those young guys playing time, give them a taste of the action, let them play against an opponent with their teammates. It won't eliminate freshmen wanting to transfer, but it will lower the number.

• Like 1

This is a good rule. 

I remember we had some OL men that ran out on the field when Vasher blew up that Tech receiver on a fake punt.  The ref started reaching for his flag but changed his mind.  He was a true freshman who was redshirting. Would have burned his redshirt had he flagged him.

I remember the then shag losing their shit when Mack burned Swoopes' shirt in 2013 vs TCU in garbage time. Not that it ended up mattering, but having that battering ram one more season would have been nice last year and maybe have prevented Sam's concussion.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

This is a good rule. 

I remember we had some OL men that ran out on the field when Vasher blew up that Tech receiver on a fake punt.  The ref started reaching for his flag but changed his mind.  He was a true freshman who was redshirting. Would have burned his redshirt had he flagged him.

Wow that would have been terrible. Good on the ref.

6 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

I remember the then shag losing their shit when Mack burned Swoopes' shirt in 2013 vs TCU in garbage time. Not that it ended up mattering, but having that battering ram one more season would have been nice last year and maybe have prevented Sam's concussion.  

As a short yardage package player, Swoopes was extremely valuable.  We probably win two more games last year if we had him and used him for short yardage and goal line.

i like the change, but i think it should have been 3 games, not 4.

I think 4 is too much, for a normal team schedule getting a bowl game means you play in ~31% of the games.  If you dont make the bowl game thats 1/3 of the games being played.

but it will definitely help the times when you have a major injury 6-7 games into the season.  you can rotate 1-2  RS freshmen over the next 6 games that might be able to help fill the gap and not lose the year of eligibility

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Think so. Including bowl game. 

Great change. 

I love this change for bowl games especially.  With the trend of NFL-bound seniors skipping bowl games gaining steam, letting the redshirts play can make an otherwise meaningless bowl game a little more interesting.

Is the prevailing thought that coaches will play the freshman near the end of the year + bowl game or in the early season noncon games to get their feet wet against (usually) lesser competition? I guess you could do FCS/G5 opponent early and then late season + bowl or as needed when injuries occur.

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Is the prevailing thought that coaches will play the freshman near the end of the year + bowl game or in the early season noncon games to get their feet wet against (usually) lesser competition? I guess you could do FCS/G5 opponent early and then late season + bowl or as needed when injuries occur.

If I'm Herman I play them against the nonconference cupcake and then save them for possible injuries or the bowl game.

23 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Herman is going to get some mileage out of this rule this year with the class we just brought in. Also, by rule, Tua Tagovaila would be a freshmen this year even though he won a NC last year, which is crazy.             

He played in 8 games 

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

i like the change, but i think it should have been 3 games, not 4.

I think 4 is too much, for a normal team schedule getting a bowl game means you play in ~31% of the games.  If you dont make the bowl game thats 1/3 of the games being played.

but it will definitely help the times when you have a major injury 6-7 games into the season.  you can rotate 1-2  RS freshmen over the next 6 games that might be able to help fill the gap and not lose the year of eligibility

Agree, think 3 + bowl game would have been my preferred way to go. 

Nevertheless, I like the new rule

4 minutes ago, T-dog said:

Agree, think 3 + bowl game would have been my preferred way to go. 

Nevertheless, I like the new rule

This should help bowl season quite a bit with so many of the top stars starting to sit out. They could sell the future and people will still want to watch. 

The only people who wont like this are the career scout team players like Garret Graf was..

Now instead of a practice warrior going in when the 2-3 deep goes down with injuries, you throw in that 4 star true Freshman and see what he's got.

5 hours ago, Injury Prone said:

https://t.co/mamrN2h5pm?amp=1

DI football to offer more participation opportunities 

Starting this season, football players can play in up to four games without losing a season of competition 

June 13, 2018 12:37pmMichelle Brutlag Hosick

College athletes competing in Division I football can participate in up to four games in a season without using a season of competition, the Division I Council decided this week at its meeting in Indianapolis.

But how will this rule help the fighting Kansas Jayhawks, it the much bigger question..?