USMNT 2023

ztejas

Flattering scoreline.

I dig this Uzbek team. Excellent press-and-counter style. Anytime the US half-assed a pass, an Uzbekistani would jump on it ruthlessly. They were unlucky not to have scored. (Bless you, Matt Turner!)

They also played very clean; no shithousery whatsoever. I'll be rooting for them going forward.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Seemed like a standard half-assed effort by a Gergg team.

What the fuck are you talking about? We have never had effort issues under Gerg. And this was a friendly with a $300M XI on the pitch. If you're going to bitch at least make it make sense. 

He looks like a great cheerleader from yesterdays game. He’s young and he’s competing to be be Jedi’s backup. His play at Palermo in serie2 hasn’t been stellar but the season just started. 

i’d like to see Tilman start the next game. He’s a more like for like for Reyna. A healthy Reyna has got to play midfield for the US. We are way too predictable and limited without a creative player in the attack. A backup midfield of Luca and Tilman and whoever doesn’t start from MMA is the correct path forward. Considering injury history of our midfielders we need quality depth.  Aaronson should be considered as well but I’d prefer him as relief. 

Will Gregg listen to his assistant who had success with Reyna at mf? .  

A backup 6 would be nice but, Tessman doesn’t look ready. Musah looks to be the best backup 6. 

Speaking of coaches, it appears that Bruce Arena's career is done:

Major League Soccer announced on Aug. 1 that it had opened an investigation into Arena and placed him on administrative leave following allegations that he made "insensitive and inappropriate remarks." Clearly with this resignation, it's possible that whatever that investigation turned up might be true?

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Our only hopes are:

1) The USMNT bombs out of the Copa America 2024.

2) Gregg has a heart attack and/or stroke. (Maybe an aneurysm.)

He is so obviously awful at coaching/managing the game of soccer that it’s pitiful and depressing.

If people stop paying to watch the PPV matches and start staying away from the stadiums, maybe US Soccer will realize that there is a reason that they are making money.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

EDIT: …maybe US Soccer will realize that there is a reason that they are making money.

I left out a word in my last sentence.

EDIT:

US Soccer will realize that there is a reason that they are NOT making money.”

#FGGGB

(Fuck GreGG Berhalter!)

(…or should it be #FUGGGB ?)

Edited by Napoleon

dumb coach does dumb shit

USMNT coach Gregg Berhalter addresses Bruce Arena’s departure from New England Revolution

https://theathletic.com/4853209/2023/09/11/usmnt-gregg-berhalter-bruce-arena/

U.S. men’s national team coach Gregg Berhalter addressed the departure of New England Revolution coach and general manager Bruce Arena on Monday. Arena, who coached Berhalter both as an MLS player and a member of the USMNT, resigned late Saturday night after a month-long league investigation into alleged “inappropriate and insensitive” behavior. The investigation, Major League Soccer said this weekend, confirmed some of those allegations.

“You know, I’m not entirely informed with the ins and outs of that whole thing,” Berhalter said during a press conference ahead of the USMNT’s match against Oman on Tuesday. “What I’d say is that I know Bruce, I know he’s a great person, I know he’s a great coach. I know he’s a very successful coach. He has a strong family. That’s all I can really say about that. I know Bruce has a great character.”

Berhalter, like many American coaches, has a long history with Arena. As a player, he featured for Arena’s LA Galaxy from 2009 until his retirement in 2011. He was arguably the team’s most important defensive player during that span, helping reshape a dreadful Galaxy defense and leading the club to a pair of Supporters’ Shield titles and an MLS Cup in 2011. He spent long stretches of his U.S. national team career playing under Arena and featured in the 2002 and 2006 World Cups during Arena’s tenure.

He worked briefly under Arena as an assistant coach in 2011 before departing for Swedish side Hammarby and later returning, in 2018, to take the reins of the USMNT from Arena himself, who had been at the helm during the tail end of the team’s unsuccessful 2018 World Cup qualification run.

Arena is arguably American soccer’s most successful coach, having a lengthy resumé that includes five MLS Cup championships, four Supporters’ Shields and five NCAA College Cups. Arena is a four-time MLS coach of the year and a member of the National Soccer Hall of Fame.

why is he making any comments at all. is there any upside to it?

complaint came from a guy who has ties back to Arena going back to the fucking 80s! someone said that basically he will have to apply for reinstatement by MLS also?

On 9/11/2023 at 1:57 PM, Napoleon said:

Our only hopes are:

1) The USMNT bombs out of the Copa America 2024.

2) Gregg has a heart attack and/or stroke. (Maybe an aneurysm.)

He is so obviously awful at coaching/managing the game of soccer that it’s pitiful and depressing.

If people stop paying to watch the PPV matches and start staying away from the stadiums, maybe US Soccer will realize that there is a reason that they are making money.

We aren't bombing out of Copa sans a ton of injuries - we're too good and it's being played in the US. 

Even if we do there's no way he is fired before 2026. They would have hired someone else after Qatar if it wasn't going to be Gerg. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

We aren't bombing out of Copa sans a ton of injuries - we're too good and it's being played in the US. 

Even if we do there's no way he is fired before 2026. They would have hired someone else after Qatar if it wasn't going to be Gerg. 

That is the plan, but as we have seen a few times in the last 3 cycles, coaches can get fired mid cycle once retained. 

Fantastic first half from the US.

Fast, decisive, positive and creative. Unfortunate to have only scored once. And just as good, relentless pressure from the Nats to win the ball after a shot or turnover.

Possession split (67/33) was similar against Uzbekistan, but much of that was meaningless.

Very impressed with what the team is showing right now.

EDIT: Uzbekistan leads El Tri, 2-1, with about 20 minutes left to play in a friendly in Atlanta.

Edited by Braff Zacklin