USMNT 2023

ztejas

18 hours ago, NoName said:

i don't blame Hudson at ALL for leaving. no issue there.

my issue is with the USSF blowing the opportunity to make positive news early in the cycle in bothof the opportunities ahead of them and not setting themselves up for success.

if this guy does great, and they don't hire him then it's a problem for them. if he does terrible, they look terrible. it's a no-win situation to have a guy who has *NEVER* been a senior team head coach at any level and is suddenly thrown into a situation where he is leading the ship in the Nations League and Gold Cup. it's a waste in every way.

edit: now it's coming out that his contract was set to end 8/1 and he wasn't going to be considered for the full time job so why would he stay if he had literally any other option. good for him. hope he is going to get paid.

I Dont Care Shrug GIF by Puss In Boots

A. We're a national team.
We aren't talking about a club where you want to keep up "hype" to help with your recruiting of talent and selling tickets/keeping the fans engaged. Outside of a select few dual nationals (and the ones we have targeted have jumped our way), our player pool is static, we have who we have and that's it. What is making a big splash going to do?

B. The CONCACAF cycle immediately after the World Cup has always been a time of B-C teams and has only diminished in recent years. Honestly, with as much as guys have played the last 12-15 months (Winter World Cup, Post COVID compressed schedule, Summer 2022, WC Qualifying), some time off for our #1s is more important than winning a meaningless Confederation trophy or even more meaningless Nations League.

C. Callaghan doesn't really matter. What really matters is that we hire the right coach. After a cycle when we gave our most raw talented team EVER it to the marketing guy's brother? Fuck no. We need to get a guy that understands X's and O's and can really utilize the pieces that this team has. 

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I Dont Care Shrug GIF by Puss In Boots

A. We're a national team.
We aren't talking about a club where you want to keep up "hype" to help with your recruiting of talent and selling tickets/keeping the fans engaged. Outside of a select few dual nationals (and the ones we have targeted have jumped our way), our player pool is static, we have who we have and that's it. What is making a big splash going to do?

B. The CONCACAF cycle immediately after the World Cup has always been a time of B-C teams and has only diminished in recent years. Honestly, with as much as guys have played the last 12-15 months (Winter World Cup, Post COVID compressed schedule, Summer 2022, WC Qualifying), some time off for our #1s is more important than winning a meaningless Confederation trophy or even more meaningless Nations League.

C. Callaghan doesn't really matter. What really matters is that we hire the right coach. After a cycle when we gave our most raw talented team EVER it to the marketing guy's brother? Fuck no. We need to get a guy that understands X's and O's and can really utilize the pieces that this team has. 

you are right about the player pool being static.

i think normally the cycle right after the world cup doesn't matter - you are correct. but in this case it is a cycle leading into a world cup the US is hosting which means any good press does matter in my opinion in this situation. i think the team should absolutely be pushing to make some good news at this point but that's me. 

hiring the right coach DOES matter. but i have less than zero faith in the USSF at this point though. we have decades of track record there and almost whoever they hire is going to be underwhelming. still absolutely concerned they hire GGG back.

having a national team coach who has not ever been a head coach is potentially a problem in my eyes and is the USSF in a nutshell. i had no issue with hudson being the interim, whatever. continuity matters and he's on a short term contract. but what did the USSF thing was going to happen when they said he wasn't in the running for the job for real?

my frustration is with the USSF

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I hope that the Gold Cup roster is basically our Olympic Squad with a sprinkling of 4 or 5 overage veterans that would be considered for the 3 overage spots next year.

This would probably require 35 guys being called into the Nations League camp, because the Gold Cup comes around soon after. Maybe those kids could come in a week to 10 days later.

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Amazing that Gio has only played 18 games for the USMNT. Or 25 caps for Dest.

Glad to see Luca in the mix. He might not be quite good enough to stand out in Europe, but he shines like a beacon in the night amid the wretched darkness of Concacrap.

Amazing that Gio has already played in 18 USMNT matches considering he is only 20 and was injured for nearly a year which featured most of the condensed World Cup qualifiers and prep for the World Cup.

And considering how frequently it seems like Dest was injured, 25 matches seems about 5% to 70% more than I would have guessed.

Josh Cohen is probably getting a courtesy look so he can be told whether he would be considered for the future so he can decide whether he should switch to playing for Israel.

The roster is 23 for Nations League and we definitely do NOT need 4 goalies.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Amazing that Gio has already played in 18 USMNT matches considering he is only 20 and was injured for nearly a year which featured most of the condensed World Cup qualifiers and prep for the World Cup.

And considering how frequently it seems like Dest was injured, 25 matches seems about 5% to 70% more than I would have guessed.

You're free to disagree, but Gio has been in the men's player pool since the age of 17 (a day before he turned 18). Injuries or no, 18 matches in almost three years isn't much.

And Dest made his USMNT debut nearly four years ago. Twenty-five matches over that span isn't extreme.

What's likely throwing my perception off is forgetting how much of a lost season 2020 was. The USMNT played 55 matches combined over 2019 and 2021-22, but only four in 2020. By comparison, the Nats have already had five results this year despite no "real" qualifiers or tournaments (yet).

29 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You're free to disagree, but Gio has been in the men's player pool since the age of 17 (a day before he turned 18). Injuries or no, 18 matches in almost three years isn't much.

And Dest made his USMNT debut nearly four years ago. Twenty-five matches over that span isn't extreme.

What's likely throwing my perception off is forgetting how much of a lost season 2020 was. The USMNT played 55 matches combined over 2019 and 2021-22, but only four in 2020. By comparison, the Nats have already had five results this year despite no "real" qualifiers or tournaments (yet).

You’re also forgetting that the B squad played the 2021 Gold Cup, so those guys skipped those 5 or 6 games. 

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Didn't the USSF say they were going to send their best squad to both? Or was that a speculative Internet source, or am I mis-remembering altogether?

Hudson said it a few weeks ago, this was the comment on here:

On 5/7/2023 at 1:13 PM, Ted Lange said:

Welp. Anthony Hudson has now said that’s not the case, we will be taking the A-ish team to both competitions to get our guys more time together 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Good to know I'm not senile.

I don't get either tournament at this point, though. What's the point of Nations League? And the Gold Cup has been meaningless ever since FIFA scrapped the Confed Cup.

Give me pan-continental Copa America or give me death!

Trying to understand any of this shit will send you to an early grave. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

What’s your height?

Is Pepi a legit 6’1”?

I always wonder what players’ real heights are. 

Yeah he's a big dude - if he's shorter than me it's just a shade and I'm a strong 6'2.5" barefoot - Pepi is easy over 6'0" there. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I like to claim 6’3” ish Pepi is definitely good with claiming 6’1”

Yeah if my memory served me right we're a similar height and I advertise 6'3" despite being a bit shorter than that barefoot with a ruler. 

I could easily tell from that pic that Pepi is a legit 6' guy.

@Napoleon there you go. Anecdotal and verified. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Looking slim there, Zep. Must be those delicious Vietnamese spring rolls you posted up a while back.

Awesome pic, man. What's the back story--how did your paths cross?

FC Dallas game. I was smoking a blunt and they parked next to me, one of the people in his group commented on how “loud” it was. Looked over and saw him 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zepol87 said:

FC Dallas game. I was smoking a blunt and they parked next to me, one of the people in his group commented on how “loud” it was. Looked over and saw him 

That's awesome! Dude is now worth millions, but he remembered his roots and wanted to visit the ol' training grounds on his time off?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That's awesome! Dude is now worth millions, but he remembered his roots and wanted to visit the ol' training grounds on his time off?

Might have also been in town for guidance from coaches & team execs.

It is nice that he came to the game to watch his old buddies. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Hell yeah. I might be reading too much into it, but seems like a real, down-to-earth gesture.

Eredivisie has been great for him. Hope he shows out for another season and then moves on to one of the big five.

The other thing is that he left El Paso for FC Dallas. I think that he may have attended classes at FC Dallas (not sure), but his “high school friends” would be academy guys. Some may be on the team. 

Then there are the slightly older guys like Ferreira who he played first team with. These would be his homies. 

He is already more successful than I will ever be, but he won’t have a life-long crew of high school buddies that are in each other’s weddings and go on annual guys trips like I do, and most on here. (High school or UT)

Hope the best for him this year. Apparently he has to report to camp out in LA today for the Nations League. 

4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Hell yeah. I might be reading too much into it, but seems like a real, down-to-earth gesture.

Eredivisie has been great for him. Hope he shows out for another season and then moves on to one of the big five.

If he goes to Feyenoord I am good with him spending a couple of seasons there. They are in a good position to win the league again and stay in the champions league with a younger up and coming coach. Should Slot leave after next season van Persie appears to be next in line especially with his son climbing the ladder their as well. I'm fine with him in Holland leading up into 2026 as well. Just keep scoring and developing!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, shnsajax said:

If he goes to Feyenoord I am good with him spending a couple of seasons there. They are in a good position to win the league again and stay in the champions league with a younger up and coming coach. Should Slot leave after next season van Persie appears to be next in line especially with his son climbing the ladder their as well. I'm fine with him in Holland leading up into 2026 as well. Just keep scoring and developing!

Ditto!

Except for your “their”/“there” error that you didn’t correct. 

I would love to see Cowell in the Netherlands as well. He’s got everything except for a subtle first touch. He was much worse two years ago, so he is able to learn. (Some aren’t after a certain age.)