2023 Annual Thread of 3 Putting

ocugolf

3 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Did ya melt?

Funny you bring that up... I've been playing in Austin all summer. Not pleasant but I managed. But this round in Dallas.... I nearly quit after 8. 

Probably drank 7 bottles of water and 2 Gatorades and didn't have to pee until 10pm.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 11:39 AM, tx 3 putt said:

those dudes probably hit more bunker shots in a bunker practice session than i will in my entire golfing life.

all i know is the closer the flag is, the more i open my club face. and with all bunker shots around the green, get real handsy with the release.

I’m in Calgary for work, and I decided last minute to extend my trip until Sunday and bring my golf clubs. Holy shit, am I glad I did. I have 3 rounds set up - one Friday afternoon and 2 on Saturday. It stays light until damned near 10pm and there are a ton of great courses in and around Calgary - and several mountain courses around Banff are only an hour away. I feel like I stumbled into a golfer’s paradise (during summer of course). Doesn’t hurt that it’s in the 60s. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Played Diamondback National in Abilene yesterday. Really great layout. Excellent conditions, fast greens. Lot of unrepaired ballmarks for some reason but super true other than those. It was like $80 which for Abilene on a Wed seems stiff but I really liked it.

Had this putt for birdie on 1, and hey E through one is still good right. Right? ad23e4755d230eafc7b75762391e4f4c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Looks like bent grass. Those greens always seem to take divots, even repaired ones, really poorly in Texas.
Don't sweat it, I've missed worse. Still love the game.

Looks like bent grass. Those greens always seem to take divots, even repaired ones, really poorly in Texas.

Haha yeah won’t be the first or the last. I did convert this bird on 16. And good call, they are bent grass greens. 848a1cf0e54d2008d5ab8543ad090647.jpg

16 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

damn that green looks tore up, fix your divots you filthy animals !

12 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

We need a ruling here.

Divots are caused by the club hitting the turf and pitch marks are made by the ball hitting the turf

Or

Divots are any blemish of the turf

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

We need a ruling here.

Divots are caused by the club hitting the turf and pitch marks are made by the ball hitting the turf

Or

Divots are any blemish of the turf

I think they are one in the same. But I have no real basis for that other than it feels right.

One in the same as it pertains to green blemishes. From the fairway caused by the club, they are divots.

Edited by dieucla98

4 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I feel like divots are the scrapes taken from clubs and ballmarks are the indentions made by the balls hitting the turf, but I can't reconcile that with the fact that the thing used to fix ballmarks is very often called a "divot repair tool". 

same exact thought

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

I feel like divots are the scrapes taken from clubs and ballmarks are the indentions made by the balls hitting the turf, but I can't reconcile that with the fact that the thing used to fix ballmarks is very often called a "divot repair tool". 

IMG_3268.gif

• Like 1

Two day tourney on Tiburon Black starting this afternoon. All facets of my game are on point at the range, chipping and putting greens so I’m proper fucked.

Also, it rains every afternoon here so sloppiness is ensured

8c69291a231764ed38dab96874efe414.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like the Kirkland irons are coming. Bonus is the driver. Rumored for 2024 release. Irons are hollow bodied. They look like P790s. Driver looks like Titleist TS series.

coming-soon-the-ks-full-set-v0-jxbaad8f5

coming-soon-the-ks-full-set-v0-dotdad8f5

coming-soon-the-ks-full-set-v0-ap00id8f5

coming-soon-the-ks-full-set-v0-b0a19d8f5

u/Jsavage5 avatar

4 hr. ago

Sorry for the delay everyone, apologies for the quality of the photos, can’t get to into details but this was very recent. Current tentative Timeline is 2024 spring/summer release with no price announced yet. They are still debating on selling it as a complete set or separate just like the current putter and wedges. The price in the background is for a golf simulator, I can assure you it will not be 2k for KS clubs. I’m equally as excited to see the final product, I to wish they would just have the KS1 logo.

Edited by crash_davis

Good read on the ping eye 2, they changed the game of golf and the golf equipment game.

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/the-real-story-of-the-ping-eye-2/

then callaway big Bertha changed it again, for the better. you could walk into the shop and buy whichever driver you wanted instantly. I remember all ping eye2 irons had a  6 week wait for shipment 

then ProV1 was probably the biggest technology jump in golf 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Good read on the ping eye 2, they changed the game of golf and the golf equipment game.

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/the-real-story-of-the-ping-eye-2/

then callaway big Bertha changed it again, for the better. you could walk into the shop and buy whichever driver you wanted instantly. I remember all ping eye2 irons had a  6 week wait for shipment 

then ProV1 was probably the biggest technology jump in golf 

Still have a full set on "non conforming" eye-2's upstairs in the attic. I actually met Karsten once during a tour of Ping plant in 90's. He asked if anyone was an  engineer and I raised my hand since I was. Can't remember what we talked about but spent about 5 minutes chatting on the floor.

So....

Woke up July 5 with a really sore neck/shoulder/right arm.  During the day it got progressively worse with the pain running down into my index finger and ultimately tingling in the tip with some numbness.  Only way to get relief was to put my hand up on behind my head.  

Fast forward 4 weeks, MRI, and ESI later--I think my 2023 golf season may be over.  Major issues with both sides C4-7 with impingement on two discs on right side.  FML.  Probably going to have to have surgery.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Rage+1 2

19 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Still have a full set on "non conforming" eye-2's upstairs in the attic. I actually met Karsten once during a tour of Ping plant in 90's. He asked if anyone was an  engineer and I raised my hand since I was. Can't remember what we talked about but spent about 5 minutes chatting on the floor.

I still have a full set of Ping Eyes and Eye 2's. I used to own a set of the Copper but traded them away, however, I kept the copper SW and still use it to this day.

2 hours ago, Antidean said:

I still have a full set of Ping Eyes and Eye 2's. I used to own a set of the Copper but traded them away, however, I kept the copper SW and still use it to this day.

Presumably you are not playing that wedge in any official USGA events.

Question for the group.  I am a terrible, infrequent and inconsistent golfer.  Have probably played 20-25 rounds of golf in total over the course of the last 30 years.  My youngest (10 year old) has been taking lessons / playing in some junior tournaments, etc. over the last couple of years.  As a result, I have started swinging the sticks a bit more frequently.  My clubs are a mish-mash of some old Wilson cavity back irons with some Callaway Irons mixed in.  A Big Bertha driver that's probably 15 years old and a could fairway woods that came with the Wilson iron set from 30 year ago.

My question is related to getting new clubs.  Should I spend some money on new clubs or work on getting my swing more consistent and then go for some sort of club fitting?  I'm afraid if I got new clubs now that they might not be as "right" for me if my swing gets corrected and is significantly different than my swing when I buy the clubs.

I'm not looking to forego retirement for clubs but don't mind putting some money into it if it will really make a difference.

Thoughts?

I think both - swing more to build consistency and get some new (to you) sticks.

Buy used clubs - cavity back, take your pick from the big players like TM, Titleist, Callaway, ping, cobra, etc.... Nothing like some new sticks to motivate more swings. That and tech has drastically improved over the past 20 years so they will help. Don't bother with a fitting, your swing is going to change a lot early on and those fitters want to put you into player irons and $300 driver shafts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Presumably you are not playing that wedge in any official USGA events.

You can get a "conforming" version. I have lob and sand in the eye2 mold but with updated grooves. hard to type this without saying legal or illegal and those terms don't apply.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

I think both - swing more to build consistency and get some new (to you) sticks.

Buy used clubs - cavity back, take your pick from the big players like TM, Titleist, Callaway, ping, cobra, etc.... Nothing like some new sticks to motivate more swings. That and tech has drastically improved over the past 20 years so they will help. Don't bother with a fitting, your swing is going to change a lot early on and those fitters want to put you into player irons and $300 driver shafts.

It's been said before but here goes - Callaway preowned is your best friend here. Reasonable prices and lots of sales plus trade in down the line

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orange dream said:

Question for the group.  I am a terrible, infrequent and inconsistent golfer.  Have probably played 20-25 rounds of golf in total over the course of the last 30 years.  My youngest (10 year old) has been taking lessons / playing in some junior tournaments, etc. over the last couple of years.  As a result, I have started swinging the sticks a bit more frequently.  My clubs are a mish-mash of some old Wilson cavity back irons with some Callaway Irons mixed in.  A Big Bertha driver that's probably 15 years old and a could fairway woods that came with the Wilson iron set from 30 year ago.

My question is related to getting new clubs.  Should I spend some money on new clubs or work on getting my swing more consistent and then go for some sort of club fitting?  I'm afraid if I got new clubs now that they might not be as "right" for me if my swing gets corrected and is significantly different than my swing when I buy the clubs.

I'm not looking to forego retirement for clubs but don't mind putting some money into it if it will really make a difference.

Thoughts?

What others have said regarding new clubs and I would get a full swing lesson or two.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orange dream said:

Thoughts?

If you have a friend willing to let you take hand me downs of something not ancient that's always a great place to start with clubs while you work on developing a workable swing.  

Used clubs through "Second Swing" or as mentioned above Callaway pre-owned is also good.  If you're in NTX I think Dallas Golf has a pretty solid used club area.  I'd avoid eBay just because there is a lot of counterfeit stuff out there and if you don't know your way around you could end up getting ripped off.

Would strongly recommend getting a handful of lessons to start.  Sometimes the pro may be able to help you locate starter set of clubs too.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts.  I am in NTX, I'll check out Dallas Golf.  From a quick glance they show shafts described as 'Stiff', 'Flex', 'Senior' (I'm 52) and of course 'Stiff Flex'.  Steel or Graphite also.

WTF.  For a golfer like me, what would be best?  Please advise me on my shaft. 😄

3 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts.  I am in NTX, I'll check out Dallas Golf.  From a quick glance they show shafts described as 'Stiff', 'Flex', 'Senior' (I'm 52) and of course 'Stiff Flex'.  Steel or Graphite also.

WTF.  For a golfer like me, what would be best?  Please advise me on my shaft. 😄

It really depends on your swing speed.  If you're in generally good health, age 52 you probably would be fine in 'stiff' but not 'x-stiff'.  I'm 58 and have played stiff shafts my whole life.  Never was able to hit XS (couldn't generate enough speed), and regular shafts just feel to whippy for me (can't control them), so any loss in distance due to me not swinging fast enough to take advantage of stiffness is offset by a more predictable shot pattern.

I don't remember if Dallas Golf has a simulator bay, but if you were to go to Dicks on Central Expressway at Park Lane they have some there and you could see if someone will let you demo swing a few clubs in there.  if your driver swing speed is over 90 mph you're probably fine in stiff shafts.  Again, if you were to get some lessons a good teaching pro can help you figure out what sort of shafts make the most sense for you.

PS I'm happy to make an introduction for you with one of the pros at my club (Lakewood).

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks. Probably dumb question, but is something like this a waste of money? 

https://www.costco.com/.product.1477082.html

Callaway Edge 10-piece Golf Club Set, Right Handed - Regular Flex 

Item   1477082 Model  4PKL211400272C
4.7 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for average rating value is 4.7 of 5. Read 475 Reviews Same page link.

(475)
Write a review 

imageService?profileId=12026540&itemId=1477082-847&recipeName=680
imageService?profileId=12026540&itemId=1477082-847&recipeName=680
View Larger Image 1

Your Price

549.99$
Shipping & Handling Included*

Features:

• Right Handed Regular Flex
  • Ideal for Those with an Average Swing Speed
  • Irons are Steel Shaft
  • Woods are Graphite Shaft

Thanks, I think I may pull the trigger on those to at least update the clubs while getting my swing in order. I'll be checking in on this thread more regularly moving forward.

We played at Edgewood in Tahoe last week.  My best shot of the round was on the par 3 along the lake.  Put it within 4 feet and sank the birdie put.  Here is a photo of the sunset just before my tee shot and one of the little guy hitting one down the middle at Northstar later in the week.

sunset.jpg

tee.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

Thanks, I think I may pull the trigger on those to at least update the clubs while getting my swing in order. I'll be checking in on this thread more regularly moving forward.

We played at Edgewood in Tahoe last week.  My best shot of the round was on the par 3 along the lake.  Put it within 4 feet and sank the birdie put.  Here is a photo of the sunset just before my tee shot and one of the little guy hitting one down the middle at Northstar later in the week.

sunset.jpg

tee.jpg

We did Tahoe back in 2019. Played Edgewood the Monday before the celebrity tourney. Lots of fun. 

is Northstar by the Ritz?  

Tried to get on Martis Camp. No dice. 

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

We did Tahoe back in 2019. Played Edgewood the Monday before the celebrity tourney. Lots of fun. 

is Northstar by the Ritz?  

Tried to get on Martis Camp. No dice. 

Loved Edgewood, we were there a week or so after the tournament.  It was, surprisingly, a bit congested (waited on most holes, a couple of groups on some of the par 3s)

Yes, The Ritz is at Northstar.  We stayed in a VRBO at Shaffer's Mill, just north of Martis Camp.  The Shaffer's Mill course was having a member/guest the day we had open so we were shut out. 

That whole area is beautiful.  We'll definitely go back at some point.

5 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Loved Edgewood, we were there a week or so after the tournament.  It was, surprisingly, a bit congested (waited on most holes, a couple of groups on some of the par 3s)

Yes, The Ritz is at Northstar.  We stayed in a VRBO at Shaffer's Mill, just north of Martis Camp.  The Shaffer's Mill course was having a member/guest the day we had open so we were shut out. 

That whole area is beautiful.  We'll definitely go back at some point.

We stayed at the Hyatt and also played Shaffer’s Mill. I thought it was a better course than Edgewood but the conditions were a little rough (I think maybe drought hit them hard that year).

I would also like to go back someday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orange dream said:

sunset.jpg

tee.jpg

I don't have any date to support this but guessing that any future trade in of those will be limited.

• Like 1