Beer 2023: Y’all still drink or nah?

HenryJames

ran into some fellow austinites at the funkwerks taproom many years ago. they were there doing research for the brewery they were about to open in austin called adelberts. they were unfriendly assholes and i never drank any of their beer because of that interaction. then they went out of business. fuck you adelberts.  

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Used to be able to get Funkwerks in Austin, but I haven’t seen it in years.

Yeah same here.

Too many local/regional options these days, and not enough shelf space.  Oh, other than the 47 rows of shitty bud light hard ciders and shit.

As lovers of beer, what's your approach when you travel or in an unfamiliar restaurant that is NOT beer-centric?

My question is rooted in this:  Was in a restaurant for a group dinner at work and they did not have all beers listed on the menu, nor could I go look at all of the tap-handles.  Also, I generally, I don't ask the waiter/waitress to list off every beer because I know I am not interested in most of them. 

Knowing I was ordering a steak, I was hoping for a porter or stout, so I ask the waiter, "What's the darkest beer you have?"

"Yuengling"

Me in my head, "Furk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Me, verbally, " Ok, I'll take that." 

What's your usual approach, while also being cognizant of  everybody's time and so-forth?

Note-  Yuengling is fine.  I'm just amazed how many "nice" eateries stop at Shiner or Yankee Shiner.

On 8/4/2023 at 2:12 PM, slorch said:

As lovers of beer, what's your approach when you travel or in an unfamiliar restaurant that is NOT beer-centric?

I don’t have much shame. I’ll casually stroll by the taps on the way to the restroom if I have to

i don’t complain when others ask about the wine list so I also don’t mind asking what’s on tap. I may a try to narrow it down based on style preference 

3 hours ago, elguapo said:

Am I crazy or do the Oktoberfests get rolled out earlier every year? It’s only 8/7 and it’s 107 fucking degrees out people!

By the time I’m in the mood to drink some they’ll all be gone from the shelves.

Pumpkin beers will be here by the end of the month, if not sooner. 

On 8/7/2023 at 6:59 PM, elguapo said:

Am I crazy or do the Oktoberfests get rolled out earlier every year? It’s only 8/7 and it’s 107 fucking degrees out people!

By the time I’m in the mood to drink some they’ll all be gone from the shelves.

Chip at Live Oak told me several years back, that demand for Oktoberfest drops through the floor at the end of October.  People just won't buy them anymore.  But it's a popular style with lots of free momentum and marketing hype surrounding it, so breweries want to extend the season as long as possible and capitalize.  The only way to do that, is to release it earlier and earlier.

Still, I've never had much problem in Austin, finding Oktoberfests well into the month of October.  And of course in Munich, Oktoberfest really runs the last 2 weeks of September and is over on 10/3.

On 8/4/2023 at 12:12 PM, slorch said:

My question is rooted in this:  Was in a restaurant for a group dinner at work and they did not have all beers listed on the menu, nor could I go look at all of the tap-handles.  Also, I generally, I don't ask the waiter/waitress to list off every beer because I know I am not interested in most of them. 

Knowing I was ordering a steak, I was hoping for a porter or stout, so I ask the waiter, "What's the darkest beer you have?"

"Yuengling"

Me in my head, "Furk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Me, verbally, " Ok, I'll take that." 

What's your usual approach, while also being cognizant of  everybody's time and so-forth?

Note-  Yuengling is fine.  I'm just amazed how many "nice" eateries stop at Shiner or Yankee Shiner.

If I'm in a restaurant that has Yuengling as its darkest beer, then I am in the wrong restaurant.  And I am also switching my beer order to red wine.

Edited by Carl Spackler

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

If I'm in a restaurant that has Yuengling as its darkest beer, then I am in the wrong restaurant.  And I am also switching my beer order to red wine.

It was a group dinner of 17 people.  LOL.  "Ok fuckers, let's go.  Their beer sucks."

20 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

" I pay $11 for a beer in an airport.  $5.50 apiece ain't that bad on a sixer. Wait those are 4-pks.  No fucking way."

Edited by slorch