Texas vs. Arkansas - College World Series

Both Tacos

3 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Gus called it this past week.  We are boys playing against men...we are not there yet.  Lucky to be here.  Good experience. Relax and enjoy.

Everything after winning the conference was/is just gravy.  We overachieved this year with what we had on our roster.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well that was fun for 5 innings. I was going to watch the Tech game, but I’ve already been at the ballpark for 9 hours

Yeah, I won't be able to stay up for the final few innings of the Tech/ Florida game, but I can start if off anyway...

Pierce doesn't trust his pen (rightfully so). 

I think Pierce knows he has 4 or 5 quality arms right now that can beat these type teams. The problem is 3 of those arms are starters. Ideally, you want to extend starters and let your bullpen do their job. I don't think Pierce has that luxury if we want to win a game or two. Probably gonna have to throw one of our starters out of the pen. 

This type approach obviously isn't built for making a long run, but we don't have the depth to win these type games unless we throw our best arms. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Pierce doesn't trust his pen (rightfully so). 

I think Pierce knows he has 4 or 5 quality arms right now that can beat these type teams. The problem is 3 of those arms are starters. Ideally, you want to extend starters and let your bullpen do their job. I don't think Pierce really has that luxury if we want to win a game or two. Probably gonna have to throw one of our starters out of the pen. 

Yup. Good analysis. For a minute there it looked like PJR was gonna be the man with maybe some help from Sawyer. That notion left some skidmarks on the way down today. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

depressing how ARK dominates us in all sports from a state that has less people than either Dallas or Houston. 

Baseball: 

Texas 74-36 

Football: 

Texas 56-22

They've certainly had our number in recent years, but they've far from dominated Texas. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

One win in Omaha does not mean they win it all.  Come on.

They might not win it all. Florida is loaded and that's who I think will win it all. I'll always roll with the team who has the most arms. 

But you can see why Kendall Rogers has been picking Arkansas to win it all since the season started. That team is loaded. 

Arkansas has been one of the top 4 teams all year. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:
1 hour ago, phdhorn said:
Yup, mildly so, and set the record for WS appearrances.  All good.   Like I said in my earlier post, we're playing with house money.  We got further than most thought.  
The tourney is not over for us but we are absolutely one of the lower talents of the 8 teams, and there is a pretty huge gap.  Shit can happen, but we're nowhere near the best college baseball team.  I think even Pierce knew it yesterday, his press comments were pretty unconfident. 
It's okay.  They can build on this.  Hell they could even grab a win (though I would NOT want to go up against the Tech/Florida loser). 
Like I said, it's all house money.  

Read more  

It's also makes me excited that this coach can make an overachiever out of a spare more often than not. Seasons like this can be a bell cow on the recruiting trail, too. The future is bright. Even brighter if they delay their departure from Omaha a little while longer.

Well, 7 of these 8 teams are going home with a loss, ending their season.  Only one winner, and all of the losing teams will not feel good about it.  

Damn, gotta respect the fact that we kept battling until the 27th out.

Those Razorback fans can be some real obnoxious pricks, but damn that baseball team can play.  They're 3-0 against us with none of the games being really that close... sometimes you might just have to tip your cap and say gg.

Hell, if we win our next few games, we'll get another shot at them. I think our team would be really fuckin fired up to play them again

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, X-Wing @Aliciousness said:

Those Razorback fans can be some real obnoxious pricks, but damn that baseball team can play.  They're 3-0 against us with none of the games being really that close... sometimes you might just have to tip your cap and say gg.

I hate Arkansas like most but Van Horn is a great coach. Surprising he hasn't won a title yet. Winning titles isn't easy though. 

I've always liked Van Horn because he killed Nebraska's baseball program when he left for Arkansas. Nebraska fans thought they were the shit when he was coaching in the Big 12 and they've sucked ever since he left. 

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I've always liked Van Horn because he killed Nebraska's baseball program when he left for Arkansas. Nebraska fans thought they were the shit when he was coaching in the Big 12 and they've sucked ever since he left. 

He didn't kill it.  Them hiring Mike Anderson was a bullet to the head.  I know several people who were very involved in Omaha HS baseball back then, with kids who were recruited or being recruited, and none of them could stand Anderson and were in disbelief when they hired him.

And then moving to the Big 10 was the kill shot.

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

He didn't kill it.  Them hiring Mike Anderson was a bullet to the head.  I know several people who were very involved in Omaha HS baseball back then, with kids who were recruited or being recruited, and none of them could stand Anderson and were in disbelief when they hired him.

And then moving to the Big 10 was the kill shot.

Moving to the Big 10 was definitely the kill shot. 

But a school like Nebraska, with little baseball history prior to Van Horn, was always going to have a  difficult time coming close to finding a coach at the same level. 

A big reason why they continue to ride with Erstad is because they really don't have many great options IMO. It's not an attractive baseball job even when you exclude the fact they are in the Big 10. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

But a school like Nebraska, with little baseball history prior to Van Horn, was always going to have a  difficult time coming close to finding a coach at the same level. 

Van Horn's assistants were Anderson and Rob Childress.  They hired the wrong one.  

And yeah, Van Horn is a great coach. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

A big reason why they continue to ride with Erstad is because they really don't have many great options IMO. It's not an attractive baseball job even when you include the fact they are in the Big 10. 

The B1G is not the most competitive of conferences for trying to get a team primed & ready for the super regionals or a shot at the CWS, like the ACC/ SEC/ XII or PAC...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Baseball: 

Texas 74-36 

Football: 

Texas 56-22

They've certainly had our number in recent years, but they've far from dominated Texas. 

"recent years" is what i remember and even in the 80s , when i was at UT, it wasn't a domination.  Scores from the 1960s and before don't matter that much to me, the classic 1969 game notwithstanding.  It's been Hog Hell for Texas for a while. Same with Kansas in hoops, KSU in football etc.  Damn it woudl be so delicious to upset them in Omaha. 

• Like 1