The Business of Hollywood & Streaming

HamsterHookah

15 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

my wife would watch this movie.

You still think Netflix is dead in the water (you predicted their demise in 3 years like a year ago, right?)

Netflix adds more subscribers and increases revenue. The streaming service reported first-quarter results that exceeded analyst expectations, expanding its base to 270 million users. The report reflects Netflix’s solidifying dominance of the streaming industry as rivals like Disney and Paramount cut costs in an effort to compete.

And 

Netflix had another smash quarter, adding a much better-than-expected 9.3 million subscribers in Q1 as the streaming leader cracks down on password sharing and keeps churning out content.

3 hours ago, BeardIP said:

You still think Netflix is dead in the water (you predicted their demise in 3 years like a year ago, right?)

go reread what i actually said and you’ll see that most of my prediction has already happened. their library is for shit and about half is foreign language.

they have done a nice job of picking the bones of the other suffering platforms though. 

oh, and their stock is down 50+ points today. but sure, go netflix. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/6/2023 at 3:37 PM, henrygandorf said:

we had a conversation or two here when this was happening and i said netflix was fucking it up and would tank.  i also said they would eventually let their deals lapse, which they did, and their library is fuck all.  i pointed to hulu - who has deals with all the broadcast networks to air stuff the next day - solving the cord-cutting issue for many, and also has a huge library of completed shows, so it became the place to go to stream old network content that didn't live anywhere else.  hulu already knew they couldn't exist on their original material, and their partnerships with disney/fox/abc notably made it a no-brainer transition.

once shows started reverting to their original creators (mostly peacock and warners), what many predicted would happen, happened.  at the end of the day, they can't all survive, and this is a really bad time for netflix to be (1) losing shows and (2) getting serious about restricting password sharing.  it's idiotic, and my guess is they're basically gone in 3 years, or will exist on their current model, which is to buy everything not nailed down, and end up with 50%+ of their content being foreign language, because that's their one built-in advantage, they are active all over the world.

like the article said, the studios that are tied in with other monster business interests (apple, disney, amazon) will be fine.  others like nbc-universal, warners, viacom will have enough of a library to survive, but will eventually merge in one way or another.  i just don't see a path for netflix, and i'm happy to have that argument here again, since i won it handily last time.

At best you were dead wrong about password sharing crackdown, as subscribers and growth has risen on the back of that pivot. You are going to read the above and tell me that you aren’t pacing to be wrong, granted it hasn’t been 3 years?

7 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

At best you were dead wrong about password sharing crackdown, as subscribers and growth has risen on the back of that pivot. You are going to read the above and tell me that you aren’t pacing to be wrong, granted it hasn’t been 3 years?

is this a serious post?  i said it was bad timing to crack down on it. that’s not really something that anyone can be right or wrong about, let alone dead wrong. but sure, take your victory lap, you’ve probably earned it for all your obsession. 

as for my 3 year prediction, you know what the word “or” means, right?  the second part of that sentence has already happened and it took less than a year.  

they’re a legacy streamer, which is an advantage, and other streamers are run by morons or shouldn’t have been started in the first place, which also helps them.  

in general, people are lazy. that’s why most will keep netflix despite the drop in quality or price increases, just like most olds keep cable, because that’s what they’ve always done.

the good news for netflix is that they can afford to keep making multi-billion dollar mistakes. yay. 

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

is this a serious post?  i said it was bad timing to crack down on it. that’s not really something that anyone can be right or wrong about, let alone dead wrong. but sure, take your victory lap, you’ve probably earned it for all your obsession. 

as for my 3 year prediction, you know what the word “or” means, right?  the second part of that sentence has already happened and it took less than a year.  

they’re a legacy streamer, which is an advantage, and other streamers are run by morons or shouldn’t have been started in the first place, which also helps them.  

in general, people are lazy. that’s why most will keep netflix despite the drop in quality or price increases, just like most olds keep cable, because that’s what they’ve always done.

the good news for netflix is that they can afford to keep making multi-billion dollar mistakes. yay. 

You called the password sharing crackdown idiotic. At the time to be fair that wasn’t that spicy of a take, but in hindsight how can you not admit that (as of now) it was a fantastic (and low calorie) move to add subscriptions?

Also I haven’t googled it, but count me surprised that Netflix is now 50% foreign language full of other peoples IP and very little original content. 

1 minute ago, BeardIP said:

Also I haven’t googled it, but count me surprised that Netflix is now 50% foreign language full of other peoples IP and very little original content. 

guessing you don’t spend much time on the platform. 

• Hook 'Em 1