Siouxsie Sioux

G650

I was never a fan -- didn't dislike her music, just didn't listen much -- but she played the 1st Lollapalooza in Dallas and she was awesome.  I have a distinct memory burned in my brain of her late afternoon set when she broke into "Kiss Them For Me" and the whole place erupted, with everybody throwing their plastic beer/water cups in the air.  It was a plastic cloud for the length of the song.  One of the coolest things I've ever seen at a live show.

• Hook 'Em 5

Tinderbox is an album that has never left my regular listening rotation or playlist inclusion. Those songs influenced me as a drummer for a long time, then later on as a guitar player. Some of their stuff never resonated with me, but there’s plenty that holds up. Was afraid this was going to be an R.I.P. thread before opening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Peekaboo slaps, and is best played very loud.

That was back when you would hear one song on the radio or mtv and buy the whole album (or tape) and hope for the best. I was pleasantly surprised with that album.

And despite using an overused drum track, I still dig on Kiss Them For Me.

Btw I was very worried that this thread was going to be bad news.

• Hook 'Em 2

Pretty sure I saw Siouxie Sioux and her band mates open for U2 in the ‘90’s…

I can’t remember if it was Achtung Baby, Zoo TV or POP Tour…

dang I’m getting old…😅

Edited by NTVTXN
Nope. Didn’t happen. Holy shit, I’m really old. While they did open for U2. It was ONE TIME in Leeds. So, I must’ve seen them somewhere else…Guys, don’t get old. It sucks…

On 2/10/2023 at 7:37 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I was never a fan -- didn't dislike her music, just didn't listen much -- but she played the 1st Lollapalooza in Dallas and she was awesome.  I have a distinct memory burned in my brain of her late afternoon set when she broke into "Kiss Them For Me" and the whole place erupted, with everybody throwing their plastic beer/water cups in the air.  It was a plastic cloud for the length of the song.  One of the coolest things I've ever seen at a live show.

Similar. Friends in high school were nuts about them, never really cared. Saw them at Coachella years later... realized that the bass player and drummer carried the band. Reliable, yet inventive.

• 6 months later...
On 2/11/2023 at 10:10 AM, Buzzrock said:

Peekaboo slaps, and is best played very loud.

That was back when you would hear one song on the radio or mtv and buy the whole album (or tape) and hope for the best. I was pleasantly surprised with that album.

And despite using an overused drum track, I still dig on Kiss Them For Me.

Btw I was very worried that this thread was going to be bad news.

Great album.  Peepshow and The Rapture are fantastic all the way through.  

On 2/11/2023 at 12:02 PM, G650 said:

Her cover of the Passenger is the best version imo.

I bought Hyaena when I was 14 because Bill (of records and tapes) told me Robert Smith and The London Symphony played on it.

Prior to that, I knew maybe 3 Beatles songs. I wore the shit out of that record re-playing "Dear Prudence"; I assumed she wrote it.

2 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I bought Hyaena when I was 14 because Bill (of records and tapes) told me Robert Smith and The London Symphony played on it.

Prior to that, I knew maybe 3 Beatles songs. I wore the shit out of that record re-playing "Dear Prudence"; I assumed she wrote it.

Ah, good ol' Bill. Did he give you the special discount just for boys? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2023 at 3:07 PM, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Ah, good ol' Bill. Did he give you the special discount just for boys? 

Negative. I talked to him about bands all the time, but he never showed any interest in raping me.

Now my 6'1, 15 year old friend was a different story. Bill wanted him bad and made that pretty clear. Anytime I went in there with my buddy, I'd hand him the stack of records I wanted and he'd "check out" with Bill, which involved a lot of gay flirting and haggling. I'd always end up paying about 1/2 of Bill's original ridiculous markup price.

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

Not from Dallas, so never heard of they guy, but the article and videos might bring back memories for some of y'all.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/commentary/2020/01/11/bill-wisener-who-every-day-for-40-years-ran-dallas-last-record-store-died-saturday/

He was a chain smoking monster, can't believe he made it to 75. You never saw him without a lit smoke in his hand/mouth...he would tell you to wait a sec so he could light a smoke before he gave you a quote on something. 

I'm betting there's a lit cigarette somewhere in this pic.

A still from Chuck Przybyl's 2017 short film about Bill Wisener