2023 NCAA Baseball

WBT

1 hour ago, TCU Alum said:

https://www.bluegoldsports.com/2023/06/13/former-mountaineer-ben-hampton-transfers-to-big-12-foe/

Former Mountaineer Ben Hampton transfers to Big 12 foe

by Wesley Shoemaker

IMG_0827.jpg

West Virginia baseball pitcher Ben Hampton has transferred to Big 12 foe TCU.

Hampton was a key part in guiding the Mountaineers to a program record tying 40 wins this year. Hampton was 5-3 with a 4.45 ERA this season. In his career he was 17-11 with 203 strikeouts and a career ERA of 4.62. This past season, West Virginia was 11-5 in games Hampton started.

Real mystery on his decline (and the WVU Team) at the end of the season.   If anyone can help him,  that would be Saarloos.

Congrats on a great run !    Good luck at the CWS !

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok, I'm back from Palo Alto/Las Vegas/Phoenix/Las Vegas...

I'm over it.   I'm rooting for Stanford and Oral Roberts via the moneyline.    I bet LSU to win it all, but would be fine with a Wake Forest team winning the title.

I'm really hating on Tennessee, but everyone else can go fuck themselves.   I want to hate TCU but I can't bring myself to do it but I won't cheer for them 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

From Miami's fan forum.   Walter is the Wake Forest coach, JD Arteaga is the pitching coach.   Would like to see Tulo,  but difficult to get a P5 job with no ties.

From @scane : Rogers finally posted his ‘scoop.’ He says it’s between Pollard and JD with Walter maybe entering the mix. Tulo has faded away. Obviously, we have a more reliable source saying not JD. He says resolution could come relatively soon.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, torre said:

From Miami's fan forum.   Walter is the Wake Forest coach, JD Arteaga is the pitching coach.   Would like to see Tulo,  but difficult to get a P5 job with no ties.

From @scane : Rogers finally posted his ‘scoop.’ He says it’s between Pollard and JD with Walter maybe entering the mix. Tulo has faded away. Obviously, we have a more reliable source saying not JD. He says resolution could come relatively soon.

Another coach turning down the Miami job… Difference landscape today and although Miami is a good job, it doesn’t really offer anything you can’t get at most other major universities.

• Like 1

Interesting choice by Miami, pretty telling about what the coaching circle thinks of the Miami job. Good luck to JD though, cool too see guys who are loyal to the players get a shot, similar to Saarloos at TCU

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Collegiate National Team.    Most, if not all, are freshman/sophomores, non draft eligible.   Selected by USA National Baseball Staff.

The 20th USA vs. Chinese Taipei International Friendship Series is set for June 30-July 4, with games at the National Training Complex, the Durham Bulls Athletic Park in Durham, Atrium Health Ballpark in Kannapolis, and Segra Stadium in Fayetteville. The National Training Complex will host the opening three games of the 44th USA vs. Japan Collegiate All-Star Championship Series July 7-9, while games four and five of the series will be played at Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Ballpark in Charleston, South Carolina, on July 11 and 12.

2023 Collegiate National Team Roster

(Name; Position; Hometown; School)
  • Ben Abeldt; LHP; McKinney, Texas; TCU
  • Matt Ager; RHP; Pleasanton, Calif.; UC Santa Barbara
  • Drew Beam; RHP; Murfreesboro, Tenn.; Tennessee
  • Jac Caglianone; LHP/1B; Tampa, Fla.; Florida
  • Charlie Condon; 1B/OF; Marietta, Ga.; Georgia
  • Christian Coppola; RHP; Galloway, N.J.; Rutgers
  • Kaelen Culpepper; INF; Memphis, Tenn.; Kansas State
  • Duce Gourson; INF; San Diego, Calif.; UCLA
  • Rodney Green, Jr.; OF; Richmond, Calif.; Cal
  • Luke Holman; RHP; Sinking Spring, Pa.
  • *Carter Holton; LHP; Guyton, Ga.; Vanderbilt
  • Ryan Johnson; RHP; Red Oak, Texas; Dallas Baptist
  • Seaver King; INF; Athena, Ga.; Wake Forest
  • Jace LaViolette; OF; Katy, Texas; Texas A&M
  • Michael Massey; RHP; Suwanee, Ga.; Wake Forest
  • Xavier Meachem; RHP; Winterville, N.C.; NC A&T
  • Omar Melendez; LHP; Cayey, P.R.; Alabama State
  • Braden Montgomery; OF/RHP; Madison, Miss.; Stanford
  • ^Malcolm Moore; C; Sacramento, Calif.; Stanford
  • ^Christian Moore; INF; Brooklyn, N.Y.; Tennessee
  • Brandon Neely; RHP; Seville, Fla.; Florida
  • Tyson Neighbors; RHP; Royse City, Texas; Kansas State
  • Griff O'Ferrall; INF; Richmond, Va.; Virginia
  • Fran Oschell III; RHP; Phoenixville, Pa.; Duke
  • Kyle Robinson; RHP; Vienna, Va.; Texas Tech
  • Hagen Smith; LHP; Bullard, Texas; Arkansas
  • Ryan Stafford; C; Folsom, Calif.; Cal Poly
  • JJ Wetherholt; INF; Mars, Pa.; West Virginia
  • Nicholas Wilson; RHP; Carrollton, Texas; Southern
  • Jay Woolfolk; RHP; Chesterfield, Va.; Virginia
  • Trey Yesavage; RHP; Boyertown, Pa.; East Carolina

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I did media at the ACC Tournament in about 2007, and literally everyone there (other coaches, media, conference people, players, etc.) absolutely loved Mike Martin. 

I seriously don't think I've ever come across anyone in my life who was more universally loved.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I did media at the ACC Tournament in about 2007, and literally everyone there (other coaches, media, conference people, players, etc.) absolutely loved Mike Martin. 

I seriously don't think I've ever come across anyone in my life who was more universally loved.

Man, losing him has hit me harder than I thought it would. There are still some cool coaches in college baseball, but nothing will ever come close to Augie, Martin, Marquess and Wayne Graham. Those dudes made the 2000’s CWS that much more fun

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but thought this was an interesting story.

Japanese high schooler who was projected to be the top pick in the NPB (Japanese professional league) draft instead signs NLI to play at Stanford

"Japanese Phenom Rintaro Sasaki skipping NPB to play college baseball at Stanford"

Spoiler

Japanese high school baseball phenom Rintaro Sasaki signed a National Letter of Intent to play at Stanford, the team announced via social media on Tuesday. Here’s what you need to know:

• Sasaki, 6 feet tall and 250 pounds, was projected to be the top pick in the NPB draft before he made his decision to forgo it, according to multiple reports.
  • The 17-year-old hit a Japanese high school record of 140 home runs.
  • Sasaki played first base at Hanamaki-Higashi High, where his father Hiroshi Sasaki coaches. MLB superstar Shohei Ohtani attended the same high school and was also coached by the elder Sasaki.

Sasaki’s potential path to MLB

Sasaki’s decision is relatively unprecedented. Last year, Rikuu Nishida was selected in the 11th round of the MLB Draft by the Chicago White Sox. Nishida was born and raised in Japan but elected to play his collegiate ball in the U.S., first suiting up for two seasons at Mt. Hood (Ore.) Community College before spending his junior season at Oregon. Nishida wasn’t nearly as high-profile a prospect in Japan as Sasaki, however.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sasaki’s path to the major leagues could be expedited by playing in the U.S. He could be eligible for the MLB Draft as early as 2027. Had he been drafted in the NPB, he would have to receive permission from his Japanese club to be “posted,” a system that allows NPB players to be signed by MLB teams. Players need at least nine years of service time in the NPB before they can freely sign with MLB teams.

Sasaki could have also elected to try to sign with an MLB team as an amateur free agent, but his bonus would have been limited by the international bonus pool caps that each MLB team is bound by. Traditionally, MLB organizations have refrained from scouting and signing Japanese amateur players in deference to their relationship with the NPB.

Now that Sasaki plans to play college baseball at Stanford, he would be MLB Draft-eligible in three years, which wouldn’t grant him free agency, of course, but would give him a quicker entry to the MLB system and potentially a higher signing bonus than one he would have received as an amateur free agent, assuming he goes in the top two rounds. — Melissa Lockard, MLB editor

(Photo: Jasen Vinlove / USA Today)

On 2/13/2024 at 8:54 PM, TheBryMan81 said:

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but thought this was an interesting story.

Japanese high schooler who was projected to be the top pick in the NPB (Japanese professional league) draft instead signs NLI to play at Stanford

"Japanese Phenom Rintaro Sasaki skipping NPB to play college baseball at Stanford"

Hide contents

Japanese high school baseball phenom Rintaro Sasaki signed a National Letter of Intent to play at Stanford, the team announced via social media on Tuesday. Here’s what you need to know:

• Sasaki, 6 feet tall and 250 pounds, was projected to be the top pick in the NPB draft before he made his decision to forgo it, according to multiple reports.
  • The 17-year-old hit a Japanese high school record of 140 home runs.
  • Sasaki played first base at Hanamaki-Higashi High, where his father Hiroshi Sasaki coaches. MLB superstar Shohei Ohtani attended the same high school and was also coached by the elder Sasaki.

Sasaki’s potential path to MLB

Sasaki’s decision is relatively unprecedented. Last year, Rikuu Nishida was selected in the 11th round of the MLB Draft by the Chicago White Sox. Nishida was born and raised in Japan but elected to play his collegiate ball in the U.S., first suiting up for two seasons at Mt. Hood (Ore.) Community College before spending his junior season at Oregon. Nishida wasn’t nearly as high-profile a prospect in Japan as Sasaki, however.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sasaki’s path to the major leagues could be expedited by playing in the U.S. He could be eligible for the MLB Draft as early as 2027. Had he been drafted in the NPB, he would have to receive permission from his Japanese club to be “posted,” a system that allows NPB players to be signed by MLB teams. Players need at least nine years of service time in the NPB before they can freely sign with MLB teams.

Sasaki could have also elected to try to sign with an MLB team as an amateur free agent, but his bonus would have been limited by the international bonus pool caps that each MLB team is bound by. Traditionally, MLB organizations have refrained from scouting and signing Japanese amateur players in deference to their relationship with the NPB.

Now that Sasaki plans to play college baseball at Stanford, he would be MLB Draft-eligible in three years, which wouldn’t grant him free agency, of course, but would give him a quicker entry to the MLB system and potentially a higher signing bonus than one he would have received as an amateur free agent, assuming he goes in the top two rounds. — Melissa Lockard, MLB editor

(Photo: Jasen Vinlove / USA Today)

Damn, 6-foot, 250!

excited eric cartman GIF by South Park