2023 Atlanta Braves Season Thread

EZ$

This lineup is mashing right now. Pitching is more than respectable today, and if we can get Soroka pitching anything close to his 2019 season and Fried back healthy, the only thing missing would be a dominant closer. This team fucks.

• Hook 'Em 2

24. Atlanta Braves: Hurston Waldrep, RHP, Florida

Who is Waldrep? While many pitchers taken this early in the draft are known for their velocity, it's a devastating split-change that comes to hitters at 85-89 mph and drops sharply just before it gets to home plate that has Waldrep going this high. Although his overall ERA this season was an underwhelming 4.16, look no further than his postseason performance to see why he's so highly regarded. The Florida right-hander struck out 12 batters against UConn in the regional round, followed by 13 against South Carolina over eight scoreless super regional innings, and then K'd 12 Oral Roberts batters over six innings at the College World Series.

Why the Braves took him here: Because they've been pretty good in recent years in drafting college pitchers and getting them quickly to the majors (see 2023 All-Stars Spencer Strider and Bryce Elder). From a stuff standpoint, Waldrep is more Strider than Elder, which speaks to the upside here -- besides the splitter, he also hits 99 mph with the fastball. He fanned 156 batters in 101 2/3 innings for the Gators and while the control has to improve, the Braves' track record makes this an intriguing selection.

• 2 weeks later...

i realize they are 30 games over .500 and drastic moves probably shouldn't be in order, but man oh man what i wouldn't give for them to go all in on this season and trade for blake snell.

i'd also like to see them upgrade at dh or lf, but if i had to pick 1 move to make it'd be going and getting blake snell.

15 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

So Olson, Albies, Riley have played every single defensive inning of the season. Is it just some kind of running joke now? Is he scared to sit one? 21-3 in the first game, Lopez has a monster, he still starts all three in the nightcap. It's really weird. 

I know we are kind of beat up as far as the staff is concerned, but Elder, Strider (youth) and Morton (old age) need some rest before we get to the playoffs. Elder and Strider haven’t thrown this many innings in their life and Morton is almost 40.  It seems to be taking its toll as all 3 haven’t been as sharp the past month (yes, Strider did good last night).  We aren’t really in a pennant race and have some AAA pitchers who are serviceable against lesser teams, so don’t see the harm in these guys skipping a start or two before the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn, I jinxed the shit out of that. 

The Braves are placing Ozzie Albies on the 10-day injured list with a left hamstring strain, manager Brian Snitker told reporters. Albies left the field early on Sunday with what the club called “hamstring cramping” and did not play in the series opener against the Yankees the following night. 

that was an awesome win though.  every time the braves would come back and tie it up, the giants would immediately re-take the lead in the top half of the inning (usually by multiple runs).  but the braves just kept coming and then yeah, the 2021 nlcs mvp did his thing in the bottom of the 8th.  it was a really fun win.

• Hook 'Em 1

big four game set with the dodgers starts tonight.  braves currently have a 4 game lead over the dodgers for the best record in the nl so i'd think a simple split here would likely ensure that the braves finish with the best record in the NL and get homefield throughout the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

awesome fucking win tonight.  gotta admit, i thought they were toast when d'arnud threw the ball into center field which indirectly led to philly's 4th run.  but he atoned himself with the 2 run bomb and then riley followed suit in the 8th and then they ended the game on an awesome walkoff double-up when harper thought he was going to score the game tying run.  good shit.

i worry about the pitching, but if the offense actually shows up they can slug their way to wins.