Robert Blake has died

Gil Bang

Blake was a crazy motherfucker. When I was like 8 my mother had me accompany her to see In Cold Blood. Fucking nightmare fuel but Blake always acted like murderer Perry Smith in every interview. He’d creep me out on Carson, and my dad, a federal LEO detective, would say “that dude is a criminal”.

I guess if you’re going to murder your girlfriend, Blake made sure she was a woman who scammed lots of men and had lots of them who might have killed her.

I have a few very specific reminders in one of the calendars on my phone that pops up a reminder every month.  I can take "Robert Blake is still alive" off that reminder, but have to leave the "Kenny Rogers is dead" reminder active, along with Caren Marsh Doll, June Lockhart, Marion Ross, and Michael Bublé are still alive reminders.

• 3 weeks later...

We used to go to Vitello's Restaurant in Burbank all the time for the old school Italian-American fare, as it was the best and closest restaurant to my dad's house. Vitello's is where Blake and his then-wife dined before he shot her near the front door. After the murder Blake hid from the media at his son's house in the small, gated community of Hidden Hills, which was where I grew up with my mom. I think of Blake's living there as the beginning of the end for the best of Hidden Hills because it was about the same time that the Kardashians and other huge celebs moved in (or at least when they started their reality show) and built obnoxious, monster palaces. So fuck Robert Blake in more ways than one. That part of Burbank was cool at the time. Telly Savalas and Billy Barty also lived nearby and both were super nice dudes. As I understand it, Blake was always a twat.