Classic Car thread

TexasEd

I bought the LED light bulb replacement and went with the coke bottle green. It's a nice upgrade, not game changing, but not difficult to do. Those old bulbs are not bright.
Vintage-mustang.com and allfordmustangs.com are 2 I've gone to from time to time.  There's a thread about LED instrument panel bulbs on the front page at vintage-mustang now.

Do you have a link to to part or a part number?

8 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It was about 6 years ago.  I bought em thru CJ's pony parts.  They WERE a great parts supply place, but have been very spotty since COVID.  Did you check out the thread on the Mustang site I mentioned ?

I did thanks.  The guy I'm using is resistant to using anything but white lights, so I was trying to use an angle of someone I know having used a specific product.  I just told him to humor me and try the Mustang Project version.  It's only $30, plus whatever he marks it up.  We'll see what happens.

Now I need to upgrade the stereo without cutting up the dash.  I hate the sound of the Classic Sound, whatever they are that fit the dash.  I'm thinking about sticking the original back in the dash, then putting a modern head unit in the glove box and just running it by bluetooth from my phone.  I really don't want to mess up the vintage look of the dash with a new head unit.  But like I said, the modern head units that fit suck ass and I wanna rawk.  

• Hook 'Em 2

IMG_8465.thumb.jpeg.5c2b8e472a45d2a06b3755acc2a5cf60.jpeg

Current status of dash.  I put an electronic emergency break in.  The button for it is in the slot where the cigarette lighter used to go.  But I am not a fan of the look.  I'm trying to see if we can use the original cigarette lighter to be the push button for the break.  

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I did thanks.  The guy I'm using is resistant to using anything but white lights, so I was trying to use an angle of someone I know having used a specific product.  I just told him to humor me and try the Mustang Project version.  It's only $30, plus whatever he marks it up.  We'll see what happens.

Now I need to upgrade the stereo without cutting up the dash.  I hate the sound of the Classic Sound, whatever they are that fit the dash.  I'm thinking about sticking the original back in the dash, then putting a modern head unit in the glove box and just running it by bluetooth from my phone.  I really don't want to mess up the vintage look of the dash with a new head unit.  But like I said, the modern head units that fit suck ass and I wanna rawk.  

The green looks better than the white IMO.  Has a more vintage look for my money.

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The green looks better than the white IMO.  Has a more vintage look for my money.

That's what I told him.  If it ain't coke bottle green emanating from the cluster, it ain't my car.  

He's an older fellow and he is brilliant with old cars.  But the trade off is that he definitely veers off into, "Listen young buck, I know what I'm doing here" territory - which is fucking hilarious because I'm no longer some young buck.  I haven't had occasion to go all "OK Boomer" on him, but we're dancing around it.  

Edited by Chad Fuck

10 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I posted my radio conversion a while back, but they are doing retrofits inside the original radio chassis. Costs a good bit, but the appearance is 100% stock with all the additional functionality build right into the head unit. Here is who did mine, but there are other people doing the same thing if you want to price shop it:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/R-and-B-Vintage-Auto-Radio-165192603676182/posts/

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Both problems I’m addressing. I bought the blue-green lights from Mustang project but left my lenses in there so I will try and test them today and post it. 
on the radio I installed the original AM radio and only hooked up the light. I have this Bluetooth receiver and Amp in it. 

23C71E13-194E-4E86-AE81-D342A3AC618C.jpeg

488F9714-2440-4008-8B4F-AE46495D7283.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

I posted my radio conversion a while back, but they are doing retrofits inside the original radio chassis. Costs a good bit, but the appearance is 100% stock with all the additional functionality build right into the head unit. Here is who did mine, but there are other people doing the same thing if you want to price shop it:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/R-and-B-Vintage-Auto-Radio-165192603676182/posts/

What was your experience with this guy with, and what is your sound like?  

Isn't the original head unit driving your speakers?  Or do you have a separate amp?  

I'll have to go back and see if I can look at your set up.

Just now, TexasEd said:

Both problems I’m addressing. I bought the blue-green lights from Mustang project but left my lenses in there so I will try and test them today and post it. 
on the radio I installed the original AM radio and only hooked up the light. I have this Bluetooth receiver and Amp in it. 

23C71E13-194E-4E86-AE81-D342A3AC618C.jpeg

Fuckin' A.  Surly delivers every fucking time.  

Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

That's what I told him.  If it ain't coke bottle green emanating from the cluster, it ain't my car.  

He's an older fellow and he is brilliant with old cars.  But the trade off is that he definitely veers off into, "Listen young buck, I know what I'm doing here" territory - which is fucking hilarious because I'm no longer some young buck.  I haven't had occasion to go all "OK Boomer" on him, but we're dancing around it.  

Yeah, if you're not doing concourse do what you like. I get where he's coming from, but that's frankly just old school mentality, and it's just not happening today.  Just look what's rolling across the auction blocks at Mecums, Barret Jackson, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Current status of dash.  I put an electronic emergency break in.  The button for it is in the slot where the cigarette lighter used to go.  But I am not a fan of the look.  I'm trying to see if we can use the original cigarette lighter to be the push button for the break.  

You and I share  the same mentality with regard to this stuff.  I want some upgrades but I don't want to change the look at all. I've thought that if I ever did an ignition cutoff I might use a cig lighter relay to close the loop.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, if you're not doing concourse do what you like. I get where he's coming from, but that's frankly just old school mentality, and it's just not happening today.  Just look what's rolling across the auction blocks at Mecums, Barret Jackson, etc.

I literally told him old school vintage look in every way possible. I'm willing to trade off a little of that for functionality.  For example, I may've mentioned these were the headlights that were suggested - which I see on jeeps around town: 

66447710983__BDC42891-F425-49A7-98CC-BC2996998DB2.thumb.jpeg.3d8665cdcbb1280f9638d8d54cef7246.jpeg

These are what went in when I had the "I know you remember the 60s..." discussion:

66534345255__99431894-1601-4501-8085-174C7A52DA3E.thumb.jpeg.7afb3e6411e9de8bb82b72326534ce5f.jpeg

They're LED and much, much better functionality than the original.  But they'll happily look out of place at the high school parking lot.

14 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'm also putting a newer console in, which is 60s-ish looking but admittedly a compromise.  But dammit, I gotta have somewhere to put the coffee.  

Console is my next thing to tackle after I get my interior back in.  I have been looking at modern ABS plastic consoles in cars in the junk yards to see what I might be able to strip and make look vintage/era correct.  I also want to upgrade to 3pt seatbelts and only found one that has the right buckles.

Here is a thread on consoles on the 69 Stang  site http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/142910-custom-console/  I love this one but the original parts to make it are so expensive.

IMG-9352.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Buddy of mine has a stereo shop here in scottsdale. Does lots of dealer work and work on classics from Barrett Jackson. He says all the classic guys are going with a blue tooth receiver and amp mounted under the dash or glove box and keeping some sort of stock unit in the dash that never gets touched. Way easier.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'm also putting a newer console in, which is 60s-ish looking but admittedly a compromise.  But dammit, I gotta have somewhere to put the coffee.  

I've been designing a center console for about 2 years now. It will for damn sure have a cup holder somehow. There are these very cool hidden cup holder rings. They pop out of a hidden slot and are a stainless steel ring that will go away when you want the old school no cup holder look.

28 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Buddy of mine has a stereo shop here in scottsdale. Does lots of dealer work and work on classics from Barrett Jackson. He says all the classic guys are going with a blue tooth receiver and amp mounted under the dash or glove box and keeping some sort of stock unit in the dash that never gets touched. Way easier.

Makes sense. Gives you the old school look with new school functionality with ear drum splitting sound !!

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Any chance you can hit him up for some ideas?  

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I've been designing a center console for about 2 years now. It will for damn sure have a cup holder somehow. There are these very cool hidden cup holder rings. They pop out of a hidden slot and are a stainless steel ring that will go away when you want the old school no cup holder look.

Makes sense. Gives you the old school look with new school functionality with ear drum splitting sound !!

I went back and started reading the beginning of this thread.  I was going to ask how your console was doing!

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

What was your experience with this guy with, and what is your sound like?  

Isn't the original head unit driving your speakers?  Or do you have a separate amp?  

I'll have to go back and see if I can look at your set up.

The dude I used is a trip. I am not an audiophile, but sound is fine to me.  Speakers are the rate limiting factor at this point. No separate amp.  Biggest concern in my mind is if his soldering points fail, and he is off planet, I am going to have to find someone to unfuck it. But so far so good.

There are a few guys doing these conversions. Search combinations of "Aurora bluetooth vintage radio" for hits.

Somewhere around here in the thread:

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

@Chad Fuck Here’s my first attempt. Some of them must be installed 180 out of sync or I need a new circuit board. I’ll flip the bulbs and try again on the left side. This is also with the colored LEDs and my colored lenses. I will probably remove the lenses for more consistency. I already painted my needles and replaced the clear lenses. 

43B4754F-7FAB-44C4-BB98-E2A67A0BC27A.jpeg

FE9F469B-DA9F-4F41-9BA7-EE75AC96F8EE.jpeg

EBA60C2F-E16D-4998-962D-9C4FBFEEA69F.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Exactly what I did.  Look at this post just a little above yours: 

You can see the Amplifier looking box that says Boss on it is on the shelf above my factory radio and below the AC duct that I am installing.  It is pretty loud with the testing I have done.  No AM/FM receiver you can use a 3.5mm Aux cord, USB (phone charging), line in or Bluetooth to send the signal.  It also has pre-amp out if you want to drive separate amp or subwoofer.  I may run the wires for a sub to be added in the trunk at a later time.  It has a wired remote I will just hide in the glove box.  Everything can really be controlled by the phone once it connects.

Some custom touches I thought of but did not do:

• Use the radio on/off knob to drive a relay to power it.  I just have it wired by relay to ignition
  • wire the radio speaker out into it to be able to select AM (might be worth it if you have AM/FM)
  • microphone for hands free calling.  I think calls will still come on the speaker but the exhaust is loud enough the party on the other side can't hear shit 🤘
Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

Sure. Regarding?

What kind of stereo systems are they putting in 1965 Mustangs that don’t have to cut up the dash? Suggested blue tooth heads/compatible amps/speakers? What are his customers doing to preserve vintage look but get modern performance? Specifics as to components is key here.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

What kind of stereo systems are they putting in 1965 Mustangs that don’t have to cut up the dash? Suggested blue tooth heads/compatible amps/speakers? What are his customers doing to preserve vintage look but get modern performance? Specifics as to components is key here.

There are some companies making radios that look just like an old 65 mustang radio, but have all the bluetooth capabilities built in. The head unit and knobs are separate and connected with jacks so you can fit it in the dash slot and have the knobs in the correct locations or it's a vehicle specific model with fixed knobs on the radio body.

There are some companies making radios that look just like an old 65 mustang radio, but have all the bluetooth capabilities built in. The head unit and knobs are separate and connected with jacks so you can fit it in the dash slot and have the knobs in the correct locations or it's a vehicle specific model with fixed knobs on the radio body.

I had something like that a while back. Granted it was in the cassette tape era, but it really sucked. I mean the sound was terrible. I’ll have to do some more research.

Instrument specialities, specializes in this. I had them rebuild my dash and the options were endless. You can have your factory radio and have blue tooth, AM/FM etc and you can't tell as it looks the same. The only difference is the internals. 22cabe040ad15ebf5c1a96b5ab276e27.jpg757f311a6dd7703ce62fcefa75351699.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

What do you all recommend for a battery booster/jumper to keep in your car?  I’ve looked but there are a bunch of sketchy ones out there. 

I use the Scosche 700 in my truck. Comes with a nice case. It is easy to use and will check your battery for safety.

https://www.scosche.com/700-amp-portable-car-jumper-with-backup-battery?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0eOPBhCGARIsAFIwTs4v3iyyH43FF823-7pE0r9Hco1OjSn0m5ernu8_EFCaJQ_Z-l4NCWEaAo3fEALw_wcB

I have a mophie in my wife’s car that also has an air pump. It’s very good to. They own halo as well.

https://www.zagg.com/en_us/powerstation-go-rugged-air-compressor
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone help here? I was transferring some old photos to different media and came upon this. This is the only photo my dad has of the cheap old Mercedes he drove as a young sergeant in Germany. This pic was taken in 1963 and the goal was to show how big the fish was. (It might be German market only). Can anyone ID it? Thanks!

43B3E457-0367-4C09-8D1A-D4ECD757AE63.jpeg

Funny (topical) note- we were in Germany because the Russkis were restless and Dad was trained in the Davy Crockett mortar launched tactical nuke system. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Finally, got around to installing my vinyl top moldings. Was a bit nervous as I had to drill into the quarter panels (new) so I couldn't use previous holes. Luckily I went to a junk yard and found and old coroner and nabbed some pictures and measurements. Turned out great. f0b32de743bba80983f67ed07840386e.jpgbd7ed969f17f4adf1d1b3eab8c6d4b8f.jpgcb516ffca8f7c4f394bee89a4a800ed5.jpgdd051b781c33ccc2c2c26c2cb95cf01a.jpg

That looks great!

Man choosing paint is not easy. I know what I want - the same as we used in the 80's. Unfortunately you can't buy that anymore. After 2 years up north being

worked on mechanically it is getting close to paint time. In the early 80's we matched the original paint and got PPG paint in the color below. Unfortunately that

is not longer sold. The interwebs are full of stories of matching MGA Iris Blue and it seems like maybe/possibly the 1979 VW Florida Blue is it. Getting samples

sent to me. Really wish Dad had left an old can around somewhere to make it easier

IMG_0419.thumb.JPG.f4b2e69655b11aa749d5f99884ca4f51.JPGknow

• Like 1