Classic Car thread

TexasEd

19 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Man choosing paint is not easy. I know what I want - the same as we used in the 80's. Unfortunately you can't buy that anymore. After 2 years up north being

worked on mechanically it is getting close to paint time. In the early 80's we matched the original paint and got PPG paint in the color below. Unfortunately that

is not longer sold. The interwebs are full of stories of matching MGA Iris Blue and it seems like maybe/possibly the 1979 VW Florida Blue is it. Getting samples

sent to me. Really wish Dad had left an old can around somewhere to make it easier

IMG_0419.thumb.JPG.f4b2e69655b11aa749d5f99884ca4f51.JPGknow

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/paint_color_reference_mg

Can't you just find the correct formula and have your paint shop guys match it? What year is the car?

1969 - 1971 MG Paint Charts RM 1.jpg

Edited by PittsburghTiger

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/paint_color_reference_mg

Can't you just find the correct formula and have your paint shop guys match it? What year is the car?

1969 - 1971 MG Paint Charts RM 1.jpg

That's the problem.  British used cellulose paint in 60's and single stage. No one sells it anymore and it probably had lead in it. So you are about 2-3 degrees of freedom from the original. Best hope is to match the original in an odd place - like the back of the dash etc. 

48 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

That's the problem.  British used cellulose paint in 60's and single stage. No one sells it anymore and it probably had lead in it. So you are about 2-3 degrees of freedom from the original. Best hope is to match the original in an odd place - like the back of the dash etc. 

I see. Thanks for that clarification. Good luck. War Eagle.

has anyone rechromed hubcaps? I can buy knock off of the dog dish caps for 35 bucks but the rechromers want 150 per cap. I know the 35 bucks ones are probably crap but 600 bucks ain't cheap either
Rechroming anything isn't cheap nowadays. I have a core set of bumpers I wanted re-chromed and it was $600 each to have them chromed. I bought brand new ones delivered to my door for $549. It's just crazy the prices of chemicals, paints, cleaners, etc nowadays.

6 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

has anyone rechromed hubcaps? I can buy knock off of the dog dish caps for 35 bucks but the rechromers want 150 per cap. I know the 35 bucks ones are probably crap but 600 bucks ain't cheap either

3 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
6 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Rechroming anything isn't cheap nowadays. I have a core set of bumpers I wanted re-chromed and it was $600 each to have them chromed. I bought brand new ones delivered to my door for $549. It's just crazy the prices of chemicals, paints, cleaners, etc nowadays.

I just checked on my bumpers and in South Austin they wanted $300 per bumper including the bolts and doing minor straightening.  Repops are about $150 each.

On 3/6/2022 at 10:15 PM, TexasEd said:

I just checked on my bumpers and in South Austin they wanted $300 per bumper including the bolts and doing minor straightening.  Repops are about $150 each.

My bumpers and overiders were about 600 each which is OK. Just got another quote and everyone wants 150 each for dog dish half moon hubcaps. My top amount is 100 and that is almost 3x aftermarket. I am not doing a show car so I guess aftermarket is it

On 3/10/2022 at 5:09 AM, AUinHsv said:

My bumpers and overiders were about 600 each which is OK. Just got another quote and everyone wants 150 each for dog dish half moon hubcaps. My top amount is 100 and that is almost 3x aftermarket. I am not doing a show car so I guess aftermarket is it

Last quote was 175 each. No clue why overiders were 75 each and hubcaps 2x that. Gonna go with aftermarket here. We are not talking fancy - 9 inch and round

Also he had this wheel in there:

IMG_9764.thumb.jpeg.eefe475f75288ad395f41036c8cb5e36.jpeg

But I was like, "Fuck naw, I want that thin thing that makes my hands hurt but looks period correct (and is probably cheaper)."

67035874229__34AB3345-EFC2-40B3-B029-3D44973ACE6F.thumb.jpeg.cfd0a723ddc8aecd90de3dcb7b34a2c7.jpeg

Edited by Chad Fuck
* I mean, there's literally zero wood trim in the car. Why do I want a big honking hunk of wood hanging out there. Yeah, I said it.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Question to you vintage Mustang guys:  Rally Pack or no?

I've never had one.  Seems like it is just an expensive bauble that won't really get used? Then again, that can be said for the entire car...

@Anastasis

@Onboard 2.0

@anyone else? 

What say Ye?

Nay.

Your ears work for the RPMs, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I've never had one.  Seems like it is just an expensive bauble that won't really get used? Then again, that can be said for the entire car...

@Anastasis

@Onboard 2.0

@anyone else? 

What say Ye?

I have a rally pac, and I dig the way it looks. Having  said that it came with the car. I'm not sure I'd pony up the bucks they want for one now.  

I do like knowing, and seeing RPMs on an analog gauge.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I have a rally pac, and I dig the way it looks. Having  said that it came with the car. I'm not sure I'd pony up the bucks they want for one now.  

I do like knowing, and seeing RPMs on an analog gauge.

I hear you.  It might be cool if it already had one.  But they want $500 for them now - plus whatever his markup is and labor.  Honestly, I have a clock on my phone and can hear when I need to switch gears.  I lived without one on it to date.  I'm kinda leaning agin' it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I hear you.  It might be cool if it already had one.  But they want $500 for them now - plus whatever his markup is and labor.  Honestly, I have a clock on my phone and can hear when I need to switch gears.  I lived without one on it to date.  I'm kinda leaning agin' it.

Well ya always gotta be fir or agin' somethin'.  There are better ways to spend $500 on a classic car right now........ like getting a full tank of gas....

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

@Anastasis

@Onboard 2.0

@anyone else? 

What say Ye?

I am a no on that dawg.  But my cruiser is also automatic. If I had a built engine and a stick I would probably like the tach. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Also he had this wheel in there:

IMG_9764.thumb.jpeg.eefe475f75288ad395f41036c8cb5e36.jpeg

But I was like, "Fuck naw, I want that thin thing that makes my hands hurt but looks period correct (and is probably cheaper)."

67035874229__34AB3345-EFC2-40B3-B029-3D44973ACE6F.thumb.jpeg.cfd0a723ddc8aecd90de3dcb7b34a2c7.jpeg

Diggin' the green lights, and I like the skinny wheels as well.  I hate the feel of a fat steering wheel.

My driveway with some of our family rides... circa 1990... (Mrs. Brat’s 1984 Celebrity wagon was in the garage and oldest son’s 1984 Firebird was in San Marcos)

The 1980 Firebird belonged to son #2, the 1980 POS Citation was #3 son’s, and the 1978 Regal & ‘74 MGB were mine.

and my ass belonged to State Farm Insurance.

9503144D-BDC7-4E7C-9412-A14799E9AAC1.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

My driveway with some of our family rides... circa 1990... (Mrs. Brat’s 1984 Celebrity wagon was in the garage and oldest son’s 1984 Firebird was in San Marcos)

The 1980 Firebird belonged to son #2, the 1980 POS Citation was #3 son’s, and the 1978 Regal & ‘74 MGB were mine.

and my ass belonged to State Farm Insurance.

9503144D-BDC7-4E7C-9412-A14799E9AAC1.jpeg

My uncle had a beautiful blue MGB he had special made when he was stationed in England.  His son wrapped it around a telephone pole and lived to tell the tale.  The MG perished, however.

• Rage+1 1

On 3/30/2022 at 2:59 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Remember up thread when I was debating with my mechanic about what kind of lights to use for my Mustang dash?  He was team white led, and I was team original green LED to keep the vintage look?  Well, here's the finished product:

67035878026__3F6CBFE5-0F11-4515-BF07-CDDED2B48C35.thumb.jpeg.0aaeea9a365dc0c4c46351d8214d1488.jpeg

Point in the Chad column, I think.  

I LIKE it!

• Hook 'Em 1

Remember up thread when I was debating with my mechanic about what kind of lights to use for my Mustang dash?  He was team white led, and I was team original green LED to keep the vintage look?  Well, here's the finished product:
67035878026__3F6CBFE5-0F11-4515-BF07-CDDED2B48C35.thumb.jpeg.0aaeea9a365dc0c4c46351d8214d1488.jpeg
Point in the Chad column, I think.  

Love the green. I like white. Question: don’t they have multicolor LEDs so you could change at will?

Love the project. I’m envious. I wish I had dilemmas like green or white dash lighting for my vintage ride. My biggest thrill was a new cell phone charging mount in my 4Runner.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Texzilla58 said:

Love the green. I like white. Question: don’t they have multicolor LEDs so you could change at will?

Love the project. I’m envious. I wish I had dilemmas like green or white dash lighting for my vintage ride. My biggest thrill was a new cell phone charging mount in my 4Runner.

You don't want my problem.  I was emotionally attached to this car which has cost me way more than I should've.   But I've fully succumbed to the good money after bad fallacy so fuck it.  

Now another question:  How do you guys insure your vintage rides?  Right now, I've got a pretty standard auto policy from State Farm.  I'm looking at all these different vintage hot rod insurers and I honestly can't tell that much difference between them.  What is the collective Surl opinion?

• Hook 'Em 1

They do have LEDs that you can change the shade on.  But I can't recall if they were more expensive, or I just didn't care about that issue and didn't look at the price because that was never on the agenda. I was never going to have blue or purple or whatever leds.  It was always gonna be green.

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

You don't want my problem.  I was emotionally attached to this car which has cost me way more than I should've.   But I've fully succumbed to the good money after bad fallacy so fuck it.  

Now another question:  How do you guys insure your vintage rides?  Right now, I've got a pretty standard auto policy from State Farm.  I'm looking at all these different vintage hot rod insurers and I honestly can't tell that much difference between them.  What is the collective Surl opinion?

For my 1968 Buick Riviera I use American Collectors Insurance out of New Jersey. 

https://americancollectors.com

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/31/2022 at 11:09 AM, Armybrat said:

Wood steering wheels were a European thing. As CF noted, it wouldn’t look right on a Pony car.

Beg to differ. There's a wood steering wheel for old Shelbys that looks very bueno.   Of course, your results may vary.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

You want a stated value policy.  So you can insure it for more than the blue book on a 19xx mustang, which is probably like $500.

• Hook 'Em 1

Insurance...for classics I use none other than Hagerty. Love them, been using them for many, many years. Ensure the car for whatever valve YOU want and they will pay that value in the event it's totaled. Their customer service is legit too. Depending on the value you set, they may ask for a few pictures.

• Like 1