2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

You just can’t trade a shitload of stuff for Ohtani. It’s 2 months. A blister, hangnail or oblique strain could shut him down and be a waste of all the talent you shipped off. A top 100 prospect and a couple other solid dudes?  Maybe. But Diaz and Brown as I saw some people say?  That’d be lunacy. 
Really nice if we can win an Ohtani start. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Ohtani and Abreu talking and laughing at first base and both use interpreters in interviews. The “no speak english”charade by players today is comical. 

I mean not really.  In today's sound bite era, accidentally saying the wrong thing in English could get Ohtani in a ton of trouble back home.  Same with Abreu here.  If your aren't confident in comprehending the question or getting the words/sentence structure right I get it.  

I do think at some point Ohtani will start speaking English though.  He speaks pretty well, I think it's more comprehending questions properly.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, uoftorange said:

I mean not really.  In today's sound bite era, accidentally saying the wrong thing in English could get Ohtani in a ton of trouble back home.  Same with Abreu here.  If your aren't confident in comprehending the question or getting the words/sentence structure right I get it.  

I do think at some point Ohtani will start speaking English though.  He speaks pretty well, I think it's more comprehending questions properly.

Right. I was going to say that also but I just enjoy the ironic comedy of the growth of interpreters now a days and then watching them all talk to each other or watching them nod as Julia asks them a question and then wait for the interpreter lol. Says a lot more about toxic media and culture than their language skills. Anyway, back to baseball!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1