2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I know it’s Laureano but if this is the baseball basics episode why aren’t they talking about the need for a guy to tag up and get to third on a ball hit 400’ to right center so he can score on a wild pitch 2 pitches later?

I'll give him a bit of a break on that ball.  It looked 10 rows deep off the bat and just didn't keep carrying for some reason.  

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Chas and Meyers are better hitters

They are also both better defensive CFs 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Interestingly enough- as of last week (according to Andrew- my pod co-host) the Astros had 3 of the unluckiest 11 hitters in baseball and the Arlington had like 4 of the top 20 luckiest. Also- their schedule has been trash. 
I don’t think they suck or anything but that’s an 88-92 win team imo. 

I heard in a podcast this week (so this is a few days old) that the Rangers were hitting .326 w/ RISP, 50 points better than 2nd place.  So that will definitely come back to earth.  Of course in 2016 I kept waiting for their luck to run out and it never did.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

I'll give him a bit of a break on that ball.  It looked 10 rows deep off the bat and just didn't keep carrying for some reason.  

I don’t understand.

are you saying that’s not a ball a normal guy can tag up on if it’s caught?

if not, what you’re saying doesn’t make sense. 
If it’s 10 rows deep, he can talk home. If it’s caught, he’s lazy for being off the bag and not in position to tag.

now, I can maybe give him the benefit of the doubt to be in a spot to score if it goes off the wall or something which is what I guess he was doing  

6 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I don’t understand.

are you saying that’s not a ball a normal guy can tag up on if it’s caught?

if not, what you’re saying doesn’t make sense. 
If it’s 10 rows deep, he can talk home. If it’s caught, he’s lazy for being off the bag and not in position to tag.

now, I can maybe give him the benefit of the doubt to be in a spot to score if it goes off the wall or something which is what I guess he was doing  

I'm saying that he should have tagged up, clearly the right thing to do if you think it might be caught. But I think his option was, if I'm wrong, and it's not gone, I need to be ready to score if it hits the wall, not to tag up.  And if it's 10 rows deep, most guys are already jogging home on that, not getting ready to tag up

Edited by uoftorange
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Scraps said:

Damn Kalas really on one now....thinks Yordan is pitching

Someone finally slapped him upside the head to reset him.  Three straight times he said Yordan before finally skipping back to Framber.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

It's always these pitchers with 10+ ERAs that give us trouble

He did have a quality start in his last appearance against Texas. Maybe he had a big mechanical change that's working out.