2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I realize it's only May and it's a little early for scoreboard watching but Arlington's offense is irksome.

Imagine how frustrating it must have been for Mariners fans last summer when they had that 14-game winning streak and hardly gained any ground on the first place Astros.

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

From today ….

IMG_4301.jpeg

Hope is the most dangerous thing you can give a (fanbase.)

Red or Dusty quote?

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

I realize it's only May and it's a little early for scoreboard watching but Arlington's offense is irksome.

Imagine how frustrating it must have been for Mariners fans last summer when they had that 14-game winning streak and hardly gained any ground on the first place Astros.

I don't think the Rangers make it out of May with the division lead, but they've been a bit resilient than I expected. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I feared Dusty would do this. Altuve comes back, and Dubon rides the bench for 3 straight games. 

A more clever man would keep Dubon in the leadoff spot, give guys a day off, and slide Altuve down to 2 until he gets his sea legs back. 

Dusty has said it over and over again that he likes Dubon's glove in CF. Well let's see it then. 

Fucking Dusty is such an asshole.  That quote about Maldy being such a big part of winning really still sticks in my craw and pisses me off. 

Here it is- record by starting catcher:

Diaz- 7-3 (700 winning percentage- 113 win pace)  One of the 2 losses was 2-0 by the Astros where we managed all of 3 hits- 2 of which were by Diaz.  If that was Maldy I expect Dusty would have talked in his post game conference about how we let Maldy down by not doing well enough around him or following his lead or some nonsense.

Salazar- 1-1.  I get his spot on the roster. With 26 spots I even agree with having him up there.  He should never ever ever start or play unless we pinch hit for Maldy and that starts the wheels spinning and Diaz needs to go somewhere else or something.  

Maldy- 18-16 (529 winning percentage- 86 win pace).  

As a catcher Diaz has a 313/351/406 line for a 758 OPS+ and he's 20% better than league average. 
Maldy has a 553 OPS and is 46% worse than league average.

Diaz has  better defensive metrics.  Diaz has a lower catchers ERA (I know there's problems with that but it shows he's not a total clown behind the plate), Diaz actually catches the ball, something Maldy is supremely bad at.  Diaz has a faster pop time, stronger MPH on his throw, better track record throwing out runners and isn't an error/passed ball machine. 
Yes Dusty- we are certainly winning because of Maldy, not in spite of him.  You should play him on track for the most games of his career at age 37 b/c you are a stubborn old prick. And keep hitting Abreu 4th while you are at it. Any day now it's all going to happen for him.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

Bold prediction:
we lose out on a perfect homestand because Abreu comes up in a critical spot and strikes out or GIDP or Dusty fails to pinch hit for Maldy in the 7th or 8th and he does the same 
Bold prediction....this game ain't even close and we win by 10 or so

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Fucking Dusty is such an asshole.  That quote about Maldy being such a big part of winning really still sticks in my craw and pisses me off. 

Here it is- record by starting catcher:

Diaz- 7-3 (700 winning percentage- 113 win pace)  One of the 2 losses was 2-0 by the Astros where we managed all of 3 hits- 2 of which were by Diaz.  If that was Maldy I expect Dusty would have talked in his post game conference about how we let Maldy down by not doing well enough around him or following his lead or some nonsense.

Salazar- 1-1.  I get his spot on the roster. With 26 spots I even agree with having him up there.  He should never ever ever start or play unless we pinch hit for Maldy and that starts the wheels spinning and Diaz needs to go somewhere else or something.  

Maldy- 18-16 (529 winning percentage- 86 win pace).  

As a catcher Diaz has a 313/351/406 line for a 758 OPS+ and he's 20% better than league average. 
Maldy has a 553 OPS and is 46% worse than league average.

Diaz has  better defensive metrics.  Diaz has a lower catchers ERA (I know there's problems with that but it shows he's not a total clown behind the plate), Diaz actually catches the ball, something Maldy is supremely bad at.  Diaz has a faster pop time, stronger MPH on his throw, better track record throwing out runners and isn't an error/passed ball machine. 
Yes Dusty- we are certainly winning because of Maldy, not in spite of him.  You should play him on track for the most games of his career at age 37 b/c you are a stubborn old prick. And keep hitting Abreu 4th while you are at it. Any day now it's all going to happen for him.   

I have total confidence in Dusty.

You are way off in your assumption.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

it’s full blown pennant chase. We need to heal up and start hitting the ball. the rangers and nl east aren’t playing around 

38 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Bold prediction:

we lose out on a perfect homestand because Abreu comes up in a critical spot and strikes out or GIDP or Dusty fails to pinch hit for Maldy in the 7th or 8th and he does the same 

this line up will have many critical at bats over the course of a season, someone will step up. It takes the entire roster to win week in and week out 

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Interestingly enough- as of last week (according to Andrew- my pod co-host) the Astros had 3 of the unluckiest 11 hitters in baseball and the Arlington had like 4 of the top 20 luckiest. Also- their schedule has been trash. 
I don’t think they suck or anything but that’s an 88-92 win team imo. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I have total confidence in Dusty.

You are way off in your assumption.

Pretty much all of what you quoted was facts and stats, not much in the way of assumptions. You are welcome to have confidence in Dusty. There’s stuff I think he does well too. Filling out a lineup card isn’t one of them. Identifying cause and effect I guess isn’t either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Interestingly enough- as of last week (according to Andrew- my pod co-host) the Astros had 3 of the unluckiest 11 hitters in baseball and the Arlington had like 4 of the top 20 luckiest. Also- their schedule has been trash. 

This Astros team (without Altuve) has played damn great against th wit schedule. Need to heal up and heat up at the plate 

Ready 2 Reign !!!

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I feared Dusty would do this. Altuve comes back, and Dubon rides the bench for 3 straight games. 

A more clever man would keep Dubon in the leadoff spot, give guys a day off, and slide Altuve down to 2 until he gets his sea legs back. 

Dusty has said it over and over again that he likes Dubon's glove in CF. Well let's see it then. 

Meh. Despite hitting .300, Dubon is still easily the worst of the 3 options in CF, even without getting into advanced stats. He has the lowest OBP and zero power.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah, I’d expect Heim to regress. He may be good, but he’s not likely to suddenly be this much better than he’s ever been.

Semien could keep this up, but probably comes back down a bit. Same with Garcia. Thing is, Seager hasn’t played much and just returned.

They’re good IMO. Semien, Seager, Garcia, Lowe, Jung are all probably good hitters. Their rotation is good if it stays healthy, but they haven’t even gotten too much from deGrom yet.

I think they’re a good team; probably not this good, but yeah - a 88-92 win team or so. Thing is - I don’t think the Astros are any better than that.

Dana Brown talk -

Excited to have Altuve back. Energy is different with him back 

brantley let him get to the poin that he’s feeling really. ‘Couple of weeks’ 

Seeing More quality at bats, hitting the ball harder. Line up is turning it around 

LMJ  no time table for rehab assimgment. He’s thrown off the mound, no issues (35 pitches). All star break or post all star break

Kuba AA pitcher putting up impressive numbers. Keep challenging him and keeping a close eye on him.

Blanco stuck out 7 in 5 innings yesterday. building up strength. Prefer to look for internal options for starters 

Brown hitting the road hard this week, college conference tournaments.