Lending tree: top ten places millennials are buying

closetohumping

On 4/4/2023 at 11:08 AM, Chopper said:

Here's another list.

New York Times. March 31, 2023

The Best Places to Buy a House on a Budget

A recent study used various metrics to find the most promising locations for buyers with incomes just below the national median.

The population cited is based on MSA, not the city.

image.thumb.png.15ce6bec0cf7fc2b67b5deff8aac2d5e.png

I haven't been to Pittsburgh but I hear it's an underrated city. And it's fairly close to a few great destinations. I assume some of those houses are absolute pieces of shit, though. 

No fucking thanks to anywhere else on that list. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I haven't been to Pittsburgh but I hear it's an underrated city. And it's fairly close to a few great destinations. I assume some of those houses are absolute pieces of shit, though. 

Pittsburgh is surprisingly nice.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Pittsburgh would be a yes for me, within reason. Lansing is a college town, so maybe?  Syracuse is too cold.  

A lot of shitty places on that list.

Mine:

Monte Carlo

Buzios

Punta del Este

La Jolla

Monterey Peninsula

Vancouver Island 

Aspen

Bariloche

Innsbruck.

Probably a few more but nothing in Texas, sorry.

Edited by Hefeweizen
Apparently I’m drinking and posting today.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Wife’s cousins have lived there for a couple generations. They claim the place was cleaned up decades ago.

It is nice.   Speaking of shit holes.  New Haven.  Went on a visit to Yale when my daughter was checking out schools and noped the fuck out of there.  Providence was ok but also a little rough around the edges, but New Haven was legit scary except the campus.

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

It is nice.   Speaking of shit holes.  New Haven.  Went on a visit to Yale when my daughter was checking out schools and noped the fuck out of there.  Providence was ok but also a little rough around the edges, but New Haven was legit scary except the campus.

lol wut.  Not saying I don't believe you, but just not expecting that.  My sister lived there for a couple of years and didn't have bad things to say, but I think she lived near/on campus.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

lol wut.  Not saying I don't believe you, but just not expecting that.  My sister lived there for a couple of years and didn't have bad things to say, but I think she lived near/on campus.

Well I was there for roughly 15 hours, drove in from JFK, and flew out from Logan.  It was by far the worst place in between.  Your mileage may vary.

11 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Yep.  Have only been there once, but Connecticut in general was shit.Drove across the state in the daytime, spent the night by Groton( Norwich,) and then back to West Point the next day.  Then throw in generally shitty winters, and  No thank you.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Yep.  Have only been there once, but Connecticut in general was shit.Drove across the state in the daytime, spent the night by Groton( Norwich,) and then back to West Point the next day.  Then throw in generally shitty winters, and  No thank you.

Oh man, reminds me of the year I was having to work with Gartner and be in Stamford every other week-- Connecticut is legitimately scary when the sun goes down. I was more scared for my life in Hartford, CT after dark than any other city, except Nuevo Laredo.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I've heard from numerous people that New Haven is pretty ghetto. 

45 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Oh man, reminds me of the year I was having to work with Gartner and be in Stamford every other week-- Connecticut is legitimately scary when the sun goes down. I was more scared for my life in Hartford, CT after dark than any other city, except Nuevo Laredo.

Go to Rio de Janeiro and walk outside after dark.  Or Manila.  Or Joburg.  You’ll see scary.

New Haven was a lot of what we used to call drag worms and unsafe.  But not gangs of minors who might kill you for your shoes or shirt.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

Put it this way, Aaron Hernandez is from Connecticut 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Has this become the thread of posting the shittiest place on Earth you had the unfortunately pleasure of stepping foot in? I'll throw in my vote.

College Station. It don't get more shitty than that.

There’s never a wrong place to shit on aggy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This reminds me of the time a group of posters were seriously arguing that Norman Oklahoma was a more desirable place to live than Los Angeles. Using charts, graphs, all sorts of shit. Hilarious stuff.

What got me was the sticking to that even at a top level FBS HC income/wealth level. Like, okay, I see the COL argument for normal people obviously. But we’re talking generational wealth. Just political axes to grind.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The amount of blue in Florida, which is legit falling into the ocean, and AZ/NV, which are going to be paying gasoline prices for imported water in my lifetime is… something.

Florida is it's own thing with the snowbirds, and whatnot, but honestly I think that graph is about a) Housing Prices and b) wealthy buying land as it is anything else. 

Florida is it's own thing with the snowbirds, and whatnot, but honestly I think that graph is about a) Housing Prices and b) wealthy buying land as it is anything else. 

Definitely. Economics and family dynamics are the two major drivers of relocation at the macro level.

It’s also 21-22, i.e. still heavily pandemic-influenced. Of course most of that was just amplification of existing trends.