Lending tree: top ten places millennials are buying

closetohumping

Seattle downtown has had a setback, but not the regional metro area, which is 90% of the place.

And Seattle’s issues have much to do with the pandemic.  Something like 2700 small shops and restaurants closed due to no customers.  Shopping patterns change.  And there are the homeless.

Still best place I’ve ever lived.  

Edited by nbmishoid
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nbmishoid said:

Seattle downtown has had a setback, but not the regional metro area, which is 90% of the place.

And Seattle’s issues have much to do with the pandemic.  Something like 2700 small shops and restaurants closed due to no customers.  Shopping patterns change.  And there are the homeless.

Still best place I’ve ever lived.  

I live downtown, work downtown, walk between the two. It's a 15-25 minute walk to every sporting event (except for the UW, which is 6 minutes by train) and most concerts in town. There are still tons of great restaurants and bars; new ones are still opening all the time. Yeah, there are blocks here, blocks there you avoid, but not whole neighborhoods. It's good to see things slowly getting better as more people come back to the office (Amazon coming back 3 days/week in May will help a lot there).

The winter weather sucks (and I'm from here). Summers? Best. Place. On. Earth.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

I live downtown, work downtown, walk between the two. It's a 15-25 minute walk to every sporting event (except for the UW, which is 6 minutes by train) and most concerts in town. There are still tons of great restaurants and bars; new ones are still opening all the time. Yeah, there are blocks here, blocks there you avoid, but not whole neighborhoods. It's good to see things slowly getting better as more people come back to the office (Amazon coming back 3 days/week in May will help a lot there).

The winter weather sucks (and I'm from here). Summers? Best. Place. On. Earth.

Yep.  I lived there and miss it sometimes.  Great little city

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Proust Bag said:

I really fucking hate the term millennial. The idea that someone born in the 80’s has a thing in common with kids born in the 90’s is ridiculous. 

How do you feel about someone born in '46 being lumped in the same category as someone from '64?

• Rage+1 1

In this thread, a bunch of people telling is why the top ten places people move are shitholes.  

San Jose is pretty lame but well situated.  Easy access to almost anywhere, decent weather, close to the coast and mountains.  But the town is boring.  All the other cities on that list make total sense.  

And I wouldn’t live in any of them today but I can see why a lot of people would.  Especially young people with the means to live there.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Superhero said:

Says the guy who lives in Irvine (?).

But , I’ll also say I’m surrounded by Vegas, LA , SD etc.  what is Indianapolis surrounded by.  But that house is double my size and less than half the market value.  I’d bet the schools are great too.  So it could work for us

54 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

In this thread, a bunch of people telling is why the top ten places people move are shitholes.  

San Jose is pretty lame but well situated.  Easy access to almost anywhere, decent weather, close to the coast and mountains.  But the town is boring.  All the other cities on that list make total sense.  

And I wouldn’t live in any of them today but I can see why a lot of people would.  Especially young people with the means to live there.

Sacramento is the secret jam.   Less expensive than SF, but close enough to there and Tahoe to have great recreational options.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a kid in 2 of those metros, as in grown-ass kids within the scope of the thread.  I'd be very surprised if either of them ever moved out of them, also.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

This reminds me of the time a group of posters were seriously arguing that Norman Oklahoma was a more desirable place to live than Los Angeles. Using charts, graphs, all sorts of shit. Hilarious stuff.

Ya know, I bet Lincoln Riley regrets his decision everyday!

17 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I couldn't do SF or LA.

Seattle I've always had a great feeling for, but never done a winter there. DC I think I'd like due to its significance. 

Seattle winters are long and dark, due to the 48 degree latitude.  But the ocean both moderates temps in the winter but provides lots of rain.  We get just a bit more rain annually than Houston, almost all Nov-April.  
But the beauty does not abate for one second during the winter.  We’re here for the beauty.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Denver: America’s Greatest City.

spacer.png

Denver's pretty awesome.

I just enjoy contributing to--and fucking with--the incredibly predicable tempo of threads like these.

"Everyone except for the olds are moving to cities."

"Of course they are; they're liberal Meccas."

"No one with means wants to live in Small Town, America."

"But homeless."

"What ever happened to everyone fleeing California?"

"Actually, if you look carefully at the graph, they are."

"You can have all the people moving to Florida."

"Those cities all suck."

"Your flyover state sucks."

Everyone has different preferences, priorities, interests, and, let's face it in today's world, politics. Almost all of us--money aside--could find somewhere we enjoy living in in pretty much any state outside of the deep south. I would encourage people to visit and live in as many places as they can in our short-ass lives.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 3/31/2023 at 9:57 AM, ztejas said:

All 7 of them?

Right?  

Age range - 11 - 28 years old.  Huge sample size.

As for Seattle/Seattle area... its just beautiful... even in winter, just stunning and when you just can't stand it you go to Stevens Pass or Snowqualmie and quickly get over it.

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/1/2023 at 1:26 AM, fattyflattie said:

Fucking Florida.  Good God.  

And here I thought student loan debt was insurmountable. 

I honestly don't understand Florida and I've been all over that state.  Unless you have big money, you're in a random subdivision surrounded by strip malls and the weather is awful 9 months of the year.  You think you go to the beach that you never do.  Orlando is a big city in the middle of a massive swamp nowhere close to a beach.

I get the warm weather but I'd take Phoenix long before anywhere in Florida.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Better than Luanda?

The Mishtress certainly thinks so.  

Saw a movie set in Luanda, last week.  Cops and robbers derivative stuff.  But it was fascinating to see the changes in Luanda.  If there is now a meth problem there, the economy must be very robust.  We did wonder how in the world they did they chase scenes.  For those familiar with Luanda traffic.

• Haha 1

Orlando is a big city in the middle of a massive swamp nowhere close to a beach.

Many of the neighborhoods are also mostly short term rentals for the theme parks. We rented a house in one and it was fucking weird. Maybe 10% of the homes were occupied. There was a huge elementary school right outside of it and it looked to have been built based on the development lot count and not the number of actual residents. It probably was operating at the same capacity as the subdivision.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Many of the neighborhoods are also mostly short term rentals for the theme parks. We rented a house in one and it was fucking weird. Maybe 10% of the homes were occupied. There was a huge elementary school right outside of it and it looked to have been built based on the development lot count and not the number of actual residents. It probably was operating at the same capacity as the subdivision.

Weird economy, too.  It's either service workers or retirees.  There is some money there but they aren't working, they're retired.

12 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Weird economy, too.  It's either service workers or retirees.  There is some money there but they aren't working, they're retired.

Florida is second behind......wait for it......California in economic growth, by gross dollars not percentage, though I'd bet they're near the top there.  It's hot, but if you live on the coasts, you just jump in the ocean I imagine.

On 3/31/2023 at 4:55 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I couldn't do SF or LA.

Seattle I've always had a great feeling for, but never done a winter there. DC I think I'd like due to its significance. 

While damp, temperature wise, Seattle winter's are no colder than Dallas.  Plus, you don't have to shovel rain.

Florida getting more expensive because....wait for it....hurricanes. Would could've predicted that? 

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/it-keeps-getting-worse-florida-property-insurance-rates-set-jump-up-60/H2VSAYGFSNEBDGXAMFIESJP4B4/

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — In December, as state lawmakers returned for their second special session in less than a year to deal with property insurance, the analogies for the state of the market for some reason all reverted to medical.

“We’re just trying to triage,” said Senator Linda Stewart.

“Just trying to stop the bleeding,” said Representative Fred Hawkins.

Now months later, as things have continued to deteriorate, the medical analogies have returned.

“It’s now at stage four,” says former State Senator Jeff Brandes. “It’s going to take 18 to 24 months for things to start to stabilize, and in the meantime, it is going to get much worse.”

This week, the state-backed Citizen’s Property Insurance voted to move forward on a 14.2% rate increase for its 1.2 million policies. The rate request is above the statutory guidelines of 12%, indicating the pressure on the state-backed carrier.

Under former Governor Rick Scott, Florida paid insurance companies to take policies off the books from Citizens to help stabilize the market and reduce exposure for the state-backed insurance carrier of last resort. Florida could start to do the same thing now; however, Governor Ron DeSantis and the legislature have not indicated that is something they are considering right now.

Meanwhile, private carriers have gone before the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation requesting rate increases up to 60%.

“The containment system has failed on rates, and rates are going through the roof, and they are all justified rate increases, especially Hurricane Ian and what is going on in the reinsurance space,” says Brandes.

Reinsurance, the insurance that insurance carriers buy to protect themselves from high claims, has been a major concern for years, with carriers going into receivership as they struggle with costs.

In May, the Florida Legislature set aside $2 billion to help cover reinsurance, adding another $1 billion in December. The state has also passed several laws to limit the ability of homeowners to sue for claims while also curtailing the assignment of benefits and one-way attorney’s fees. The plan from state leaders was to create an environment where large private carriers, who have all but abandoned the state, would return.

That has not happened.

“I don’t think you’re going to see any new capital into the market until after hurricane season,” says Brandes.

Despite the rising rates, there is a level of optimism that things could level out in 2024. Experts, including former senator Brandes, say the moves taken by the state in 2022 should help stop the massive price hikes, although admitting it is unlikely prices will ever decrease.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Florida getting more expensive because....wait for it....hurricanes. Would could've predicted that? 

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/it-keeps-getting-worse-florida-property-insurance-rates-set-jump-up-60/H2VSAYGFSNEBDGXAMFIESJP4B4/

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — In December, as state lawmakers returned for their second special session in less than a year to deal with property insurance, the analogies for the state of the market for some reason all reverted to medical.

“We’re just trying to triage,” said Senator Linda Stewart.

“Just trying to stop the bleeding,” said Representative Fred Hawkins.

Now months later, as things have continued to deteriorate, the medical analogies have returned.

“It’s now at stage four,” says former State Senator Jeff Brandes. “It’s going to take 18 to 24 months for things to start to stabilize, and in the meantime, it is going to get much worse.”

This week, the state-backed Citizen’s Property Insurance voted to move forward on a 14.2% rate increase for its 1.2 million policies. The rate request is above the statutory guidelines of 12%, indicating the pressure on the state-backed carrier.

Under former Governor Rick Scott, Florida paid insurance companies to take policies off the books from Citizens to help stabilize the market and reduce exposure for the state-backed insurance carrier of last resort. Florida could start to do the same thing now; however, Governor Ron DeSantis and the legislature have not indicated that is something they are considering right now.

Meanwhile, private carriers have gone before the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation requesting rate increases up to 60%.

“The containment system has failed on rates, and rates are going through the roof, and they are all justified rate increases, especially Hurricane Ian and what is going on in the reinsurance space,” says Brandes.

Reinsurance, the insurance that insurance carriers buy to protect themselves from high claims, has been a major concern for years, with carriers going into receivership as they struggle with costs.

In May, the Florida Legislature set aside $2 billion to help cover reinsurance, adding another $1 billion in December. The state has also passed several laws to limit the ability of homeowners to sue for claims while also curtailing the assignment of benefits and one-way attorney’s fees. The plan from state leaders was to create an environment where large private carriers, who have all but abandoned the state, would return.

That has not happened.

“I don’t think you’re going to see any new capital into the market until after hurricane season,” says Brandes.

Despite the rising rates, there is a level of optimism that things could level out in 2024. Experts, including former senator Brandes, say the moves taken by the state in 2022 should help stop the massive price hikes, although admitting it is unlikely prices will ever decrease.

I was watching house hunters (yep, I'm a dork), and they were in New Orleans.  The realtor said flood insurance could be 6k a year

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Florida is second behind......wait for it......California in economic growth, by gross dollars not percentage, though I'd bet they're near the top there.  It's hot, but if you live on the coasts, you just jump in the ocean I imagine.

I was talking about Orlando specifically but even the rest of Florida is similar but not as pronounced.  Miami has no real industry outside of tourism.  Jacksonville is the most bizarre.  Over a million people but a small military based and some golf.  LOT of retirees.  (I fucking loathe Jacksonville.)

Here's another list.

New York Times. March 31, 2023

The Best Places to Buy a House on a Budget

A recent study used various metrics to find the most promising locations for buyers with incomes just below the national median.

The study compared 383 major metropolitan areas to find the best ones for home buyers with household incomes of $65,000 — just below the median national household income of $70,784, the most recently reported figure from the U.S. Census Bureau. To arrive at the 10 best metros for these buyers, researchers compared home prices, mortgage payments, income and sales taxes, unemployment and crime rates, the health of residents and climate hazards.

The population cited is based on MSA, not the city.

image.thumb.png.15ce6bec0cf7fc2b67b5deff8aac2d5e.png

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2023 at 10:08 AM, Chopper said:

Here's another list.

A recent study used various metrics to find the most promising locations for buyers with incomes just below the national median.

Good god, no thank youl.

On 3/31/2023 at 1:18 AM, Superhero said:

Chicago? Maybe. Never been to Chicago so I can't judge.

Miami? Fuck that. 

I have only stopped through to change flights in Chicago. I know a lot of foreign tourists really enjoy visiting there. I just have no reason to visit there, but I am sure it’s pretty cool.

Miami is a place I have never had high on the priority list to go to. I am cool with never visiting there and instead just going back to the South Pacific twice a year.

On 4/4/2023 at 11:08 AM, Chopper said:

Here's another list.

Low climate hazard risks...in the upper Midwest?   LOLz.

Nothing west of a line from Grand Forks to  Columbia fucking Missouri?

Edited by slorch