San Antonio Spurs 2023 Offseason - Voodoo Dolls and Ping Pong Balls

Mitch Cumsteen

41 minutes ago, Kermit said:

ESPN needs to hire Austin Rivers if they haven’t already. I’m impressed with everything about him in this video. 

Need to remind him to put a dress shirt over the under shirt if he's gonna be on TV. 

People reacting to 1 summer league game like it says anything about guys future is a new low. It's not even a preseason game. The preseason doesn't start for a couple of months. 

12 hours ago, Hate said:

I don't care what anyone on this thread says, he is not in NBA shape. 

No one would be in game shape when they haven't played a competitive basketball game for almost s month and have had the pre-draft/draft/post-draft wine and dine schedule he's had. 

I’ll never get over seeing Austin Rivers live in his summer league debut, pre-game in the layup line he goes from the shooting line, knocks down his shot and then gets back into the shooting line. What kind of psychopath thinks he can just avoid the rebounding line? I’ve hated him ever since. 

So that proves that you can make judgments off of one summer league game. Vic was rough last night but it’s not altogether unexpected. His defensive impact is going to be evident from day one. His skill is also evident but there’s going to be some ugly offense from him, especially early. 

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Need to remind him to put a dress shirt over the under shirt if he's gonna be on TV. 

People reacting to 1 summer league game like it says anything about guys future is a new low. It's not even a preseason game. The preseason doesn't start for a couple of months. 

6 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

I was going to say that but then realized it just made me sound and feel old. #kidsthesedays

I'm sure that "t-shirt" cost 500 bucks or something but seriously, if you're going to be on camera do something more than that.

The ESPN anchor setting him up with nothing but dumb bell questions. (And I also noticed her forearm tattoo right at the end. I am getting fucking old.)

From Spurstalk, Ellis is claiming the coaches told Wemby to experiment with his game in this summer league time to start to figure out what he can and can't do against NBA competition. Look for more Wemby on the perimeter today. 

Heading into Wembanyama’s summer league debut against the Charlotte Hornets, San Antonio’s coaches (including Popovich himself, I’m told) gave the No. 1 overall pick one simple mandate: experiment. The coaches want Wembanyama to use his time in summer league to begin to learn what he can and can’t do against NBA caliber athletes. 

Specifically, the Spurs coaches told him to handle the ball as much as possible — particularly in traffic. 

“There’s no blueprint for him to follow,” a Spurs source told me about the conversations the Spurs have had with Wembanyama so far. “He’s gotta figure it all out on his own. Step by step.”

The source continued: “He has the ball in his hands at 7-foot-3. No one has done that. There’s nothing and nobody to reference. He needs to express himself, do what comes natural and figure it out. And he will. He absolutely will.”

Anyone who watched Wembanyama’s first game in summer league saw him experimenting. He was clearly pushing the envelope. Add in a few missed shots right at the rim and you had the end result: nine points on 2-for-13 shooting with three turnovers in 27 minutes.

-Despite the inefficient shooting from Wembanyama in his debut, the mood around the team after the game was still as festive and joyous as it’s been since the Spurs won the draft lottery. 

“Look, he’s a playmaker who will make everyone around him better,” another Spurs source told me, “He has touch. He’s agile. He sees and thinks the game at a high level. He’s a problem solver. He’s the best shot-blocking prospect in a generation. He’s all that and he’s a great kid.”

I talked to a scout for a Western Conference team who gushed about Wembanyama’s shot-blocking. 

“Wemby spent most of the game out on the arc chasing smalls and he still got credited with five blocks,” the scout said. “I actually had him down for eight blocks on my scorecard. That s–t is scary. If he stays healthy, he’ll lead the league in blocks every year for the next 15 years.”

The same scout was also impressed with Wembanyama’s intangibles: “He was having a rough time. Things weren’t going his way, he was missing bunnies. But there he was celebrating the success of his teammates. He listened when coaches and teammates talked to him — asked questions, all that. Wemby obviously wants to learn, wants to be coached.”

-Speaking of coaching, I’ve been told that Wembanyama made it known that he really wants to be coached by Popovich. I’ve also been told that their early interactions have gone exceedingly well and that it’s no coincidence that Popovich agreed to a five-year, $80 million contract after spending time around Wembanyama. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just want to address everyone and apologize for being a douchebag last night I was really, really smashed. I want this to be a great thread this season and I hope we get a lot of new posters looking to get back into the fray. 

Also I'm still laughing at JSJ playing in summer league. 

GSG 

Wemby's footwork looks better tonight. Actually had some semblance of a solid foundation for a jump shot. Friday night he was taking shots with a weird Bonner-esque parallel stance. Tonight his feet look set (right foot a bit forward, shoulders aligned). And the aggressiveness on the inside is noticeable, he's showing a bit of a mean streak. Wemby's footwork looks better tonight. Actually had some semblance of a solid foundation for a jump shot. Friday night he was taking shots with a weird Bonner-esque parallel stance. Tonight his feet look set (right foot a bit forward, shoulders aligned). And the aggressiveness on the inside is noticeable, he's showing a bit of a mean streak. 

Branham and Champenny having slow nights and we're down big because of that. 

Wemby's footwork looks better tonight. Actually had some semblance of a solid foundation for a jump shot. Friday night he was taking shots with a weird Bonner-esque parallel stance. Tonight his feet look set (right foot a bit forward, shoulders aligned). And the aggressiveness on the inside is noticeable, he's showing a bit of a mean streak. Wemby's footwork looks better tonight. Actually had some semblance of a solid foundation for a jump shot. Friday night he was taking shots with a weird Bonner-esque parallel stance. Tonight his feet look set (right foot a bit forward, shoulders aligned). And the aggressiveness on the inside is noticeable, he's showing a bit of a mean streak. 

Branham and Champenny having slow nights and we're down big because of that. 
But how does his footwork look tonight?
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Wemby fun!!!

80% crowd rootin for the kid 

Need to rewatch. 

after Wemby was dominating. Who didn’t kick it back to wide open Wemby. 

I saw Stevenson do it too. 

Wesley. Wesley didn’t kick it out.

Wemby showing out a bit tonight. Love to hear from the media naysayers after the last game. None of those jackwads will own up to it. There’s a lot more basketball for Wemby. Prognostications on a 19 yo after a couple of games with essentially a brand new team are for idiots.

• Hook 'Em 1