2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

That puts Biden in a position where he can more easily unify the party by cozying up to Bernie if Biden is able to get the delegates.

That will never happen. Warren without the toxic clintonites - yes. Yang - yes.

But never Biden, Buttigieg, Klob, or, ffs Bloomberg (who is just running to save his billions). 

Warren and Bernie have made up. The toxicity from warren's camp comes from the scolds who blame anyone but Hillary for 2016. They will fade away once Warren calls it a day and endorses Bernie (if he is the clear frontrunner) against Biden and Bloomberg. 

26 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The Pete thing is such a nothingburger.  That’s like ripping on a guy from Dallas who says he’s a Texan.  “No, sir!  Your life experience is really more similar to someone from New York or Los Angeles than a cattle rancher!”

Some people say that if you're north of Dallas, you're basically not from Texas. Fuck those people. 

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Is Tom Perez?

Same camp. Feathering his bed as we speak in case Bernie gets the nomination. He has a golden parachute for himself and his neoliberal buddies - Neera is another one who needs to understand her day has passed.   

https://twitter.com/romegeorgiaman3/status/1222957343551434752

Edited by washparkhorn

It's not even about the wisdom of rejecting the delegates, that's beside the point.

There are going to be a total of 4750 pledged delegates and 771 superdelegates.
Round 1: Pledged delegates are locked in to vote for whoever won their district/state and the superdelegates can't vote
Round 2: Pledged delegates can switch to new candidates and the superdelegates can vote

My question is this: What mechanism exists to reject pledged delegates?

Obviously there can be shenanigans to get pledged delegates to abandon Bernie in Round 2. That's clear. And the superdelegates WILL unite against him if there's a Round 2. So could they screw him out of it in a party-destroying way in Round 2? Yes.

But how would they prevent a Round 1 win if Bernie has 51% of the pledged delegates from the states?

Just now, bad_teammate said:

It's not even about the wisdom of rejecting the delegates, that's beside the point.

There are going to be a total of 4750 pledged delegates and 771 superdelegates.
Round 1: Pledged delegates are locked in to vote for whoever won their district/state and the superdelegates can't vote
Round 2: Pledged delegates can switch to new candidates and the superdelegates can vote

My question is this: What mechanism exists to reject pledged delegates?

Obviously there can be shenanigans to get pledged delegates to abandon Bernie in Round 2. That's clear. And the superdelegates WILL unite against him if there's a Round 2. So could they screw him out of it in a party-destroying way in Round 2? Yes.

But how would they prevent a Round 1 win if Bernie has 51% of the pledged delegates from the states?

By keeping people who have no shot of winning in the race to keep Bernie Sanders form ever getting 51% of pledged delegates.

That's how.

Just now, David Dennison said:

By keeping people who have no shot of winning in the race to keep Bernie Sanders form ever getting 51% of pledged delegates.

That's how.

That's a strategy, but it's still out of their control because only the voters can decide that.

I know it would break your brand, but can you acknowledge that it's not actually impossible for Bernie to win the nomination?

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

You definitely got one thing right. You are the biggest moron of all 

Yeah? Well come talk to me in my padded cell at Austin State School after the Republicans wait until the Senate trial is in the bag and THEN they unleash both barrels of Burisma at Joe. You know they are holding back on that, right? Keeping their powder dry until it will cause maximum damage? 

If the DNC had half a brain cell among them they would know all this and pat Joe on the back, hand him a warm cup of cocoa and a blanket, thank him for his service and sit him down in front of an endless loop of Baywatch reruns. But they don't, so the mainstream Dem candidate's campaign will limp on and attract a barrage of valid "Both sides" criticisms that at best will portray the election as a choice between two senile old sleazebags, thereby causing tens of thousands not to vote (or vote third party) and at worst will even tip a few into Trump's horde. 

Shit, you know what they will probably do? For real? They will get Joe to bow out around convention time, announce a deadlock among the remaining candidates, adjourn to a kombucha-filled room, and emerge minutes later with HRC as the candidate.

Again.

It Really IS Her Turn, This Time!

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

That's a strategy, but it's still out of their control because only the voters can decide that.

I know it would break your brand, but can you acknowledge that it's not actually impossible for Bernie to win the nomination?

It's not impossible, but I don't see the party allowing it to happen. I have no doubt the party will do whatever it takes to keep him from being the nominee, even at the expense of losing the election in November.

10 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

That will never happen. Warren without the toxic clintonites - yes. Yang - yes.

But never Biden, Buttigieg, Klob, or, ffs Bloomberg (who is just running to save his billions). 

Warren and Bernie have made up. The toxicity from warren's camp comes from the scolds who blame anyone but Hillary for 2016. They will fade away once Warren calls it a day and endorses Bernie (if he is the clear frontrunner) against Biden and Bloomberg. 

That bespeaks a problem with Bernie's supporters far more than it does with any of the other candidates.  It indicates that they are willing to destroy the party (to which their candidate has never belonged) and reelect Donald Trump in a fit of pique.  

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I cannot believe i agree with you on this. But I do. Voters decide. If he gets 50%+1 pledged, he will be the nominee. Failure to do so and losing on a 2nd ballot = not the DNC’s fault. 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That bespeaks a problem with Bernie's supporters far more than it does with any of the other candidates.  It indicates that they are willing to destroy the party (to which their candidate has never belonged) and reelect Donald Trump in a fit of pique.  

When mom only gives me 5 tendies at dinner, I throw them out the window to express myself

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It speaks to a problem with a party that does not listen to those who support the party with their votes. It is temporary. 

Once corporations and non-profits start understanding they can make money off of Sanders' proposals (and many of them know that now and are preparing plans), the old guard will slink away. No corporation or non-profit wants to be associated with a corrupt organization. It was the price of admission for many years under the pre-Obama DNC. Obama crashed the gates and they came around to him. He broke the glass ceiling. The moneyed interests want to know what is the next big thing. And they understand the federal government is deeply tied to corporations and non-profits to carry out policies. With Sanders, there will be more work for them.

This is 2008 all over again. A weak frontrunner and a progressive grassroots populist. They moved to Obama and they will move to Sanders because that is good business for them. 

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He’s not even a member of that party! And all he and his surrogates do is trash it. 

Not the Party. They trash the corrupt idiots who temporarily run the Party. The corrupt are planning their exits with secret golden parachute severance packages. They  see the writing on the wall. 

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

It speaks to a problem with a party that does not listen to those who support the party with their votes. It is temporary. 

Once corporations and non-profits start understanding they can make money off of Sanders' proposals (and many of them know that now and are preparing plans), the old guard will slink away. No corporation or non-profit wants to be associated with a corrupt organization. It was the price of admission for many years under the pre-Obama DNC. Obama crashed the gates and they came around to him. He broke the glass ceiling. The moneyed interests want to know what is the next big thing. And they understand the federal government is deeply tied to corporations and non-profits to carry out policies. With Sanders, there will be more work for them.

This is 2008 all over again. A weak frontrunner and a progressive grassroots populist. They moved to Obama and they will move to Sanders because that is good business for them. 

Barack Obama also got the black vote.

For Bernie Sanders, that is TBD.

9 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

If Mom would only listen when I say “I want ten tendies at dinner,” I mean it!

So let's talk about the #hotgirlsforbernie vs #hotgirlsforyang that took place a few days ago. Both sides were mostly filled with attractive nerds and/or cosplay cyberpunk types and some cray cray. It seems the thirsty Yang Gang Bros were fired up the most by the whole thing. Expect an online Tet Offensive from those thirsty bastards in the coming days.

Funnily enough, a NY Times article came out today about people's misconceptions regarding South Bend.

“South Bend is not a college town, not in any way, shape or form,” said Richard Pierce, a historian at Notre Dame who has lived in South Bend for 24 years.

So what is it?

“This is a very strange city,” he said. “It doesn’t fit most people’s models. And it’s because you have this decaying industrial footprint, while at the same time a thriving and growing university that is world renowned. Most places don’t have those two things.”

also: 

Until recently, Notre Dame had a long history of walling itself off from the city. It is technically across the South Bend city line. It has its own ZIP code, its own post office, its own police and fire departments, its own power station. It long encouraged students to stay on campus, and faculty to live in the suburbs.

Judith Fox, a law professor who does legal aid work with poor residents in the city, recalls the tongue-in-cheek joke when she was recruited to Notre Dame 35 years ago: The cost of living in South Bend is low. But there is a cost to living in South Bend.

It wasn’t, in other words, a great place to live.

That has begun to change. There are new restaurants downtown, new hotels, some of the first new market-rate housing built in the city in years. Notre Dame has crossed the city line to back a huge mixed-use development near campus (that’s where the Urban Outfitters and Pure Barre are).

Ms. Fox offered another analogy for thinking about the challenges that still persist: “It’s more like a Youngstown, or a Newark,” she said. “If you look at Cleveland, if you look at Buffalo — that’s the kind of problems we have.”

Edited by Hank Kingsley

45 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Ms. Fox offered another analogy for thinking about the challenges that still persist: “It’s more like a Youngstown, or a Newark,” she said. “If you look at Cleveland, if you look at Buffalo — that’s the kind of problems we have.”

Interesting comparison. Reminds me of when my buddy told me his daughter committed to play softball for Seton Hall. I told him "you do realize South Orange is less than 20 minutes away from a warzone?" I used to fly out there for work and would occasionally arrive after midnight, I ran red lights and sped until I got out of Newark.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

It's like the accusation that he told Warren that a woman can't become president. No one is going to buy this kind of shit except Twitter dead-enders.

GIVE ME THE REAL OPPO

The real shit. 

giphy.gif

Yep.

It reminds me of the Muslim garb and Reverend Jerimiah shit spread by the Clinton campaign in 2008 against Obama. 

It's ugly but without merit.

Good article on Sanders from CNN, of all places.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/07/politics/kfile-bernie-sanders-vermont-1970s/index.html

The making of Bernie Sanders: How a hitchhiking campaigner pushed a vision that remains remarkably unchanged

By Nathan McDermott, Andrew Kaczynski and Gregory Krieg, CNN

Updated 10:23 AM ET, Wed May 8, 2019

(CNN)He slept on a friend's couch, hustled for odd jobs and hitchhiked along the campaign trail.

In the 1970s, Bernie Sanders, then in his 30s, ran -- over and over again in Vermont -- and lost repeatedly, never cracking double digits. In a series of quixotic bids at statewide office as a member of the self-described "radical" Liberty Union Party, he railed against corporate titans and promised to eliminate laws regulating drugs, homosexuality and, before the Supreme Court stepped in, abortion.

He campaigned in a local prison and spoke forcefully about racial disparities in the criminal justice system. The government, he said during a talk about desegregation busing, "doesn't give a sh** about black people."

Unlike so many other public figures with long careers or winding arcs, Sanders did not arrive at this moment of national reckoning through a personal or political "evolution." He broke through, instead, with an uncompromising, insistent vision of radical upheaval -- and a taste for conflict with the forces determined to keep him on the fringes. 

The consistency of Sanders' message over time has become a cornerstone of his presidential pitch. This account, which spans parts of seven years in the 1970s, was drawn from a CNN KFile review of thousands of pages of archived Liberty Union Party files and newspaper articles newly available online, as well as interviews with longtime acquaintances and onlookers.

Many of the speeches, editorials and interviews featured here are nearly indistinguishable from what Sanders might have said just the other day, out on the presidential hustings, although the sharper edges of his message have slightly softened over time. He is still fighting, as the 2020 primaries near, many of the same battles he first joined during his early campaigns as a member of the Liberty Union Party in the 1970s. 

The stage now is much bigger and the stakes, in the second half of Donald Trump's presidency, are astronomically higher, but Sanders is still telling the same story -- of a country coming apart at the seams, in desperate need of political revolution.