Flight canceled - who should pay?

midtown

I used Citibank thank you rewards for a RT flight from FLL to Bimini.    Citi booked me on United who subbed the flight to Sliver Air.

On the return leg on Sunday my flight was completely canceled and the next flight wasn't until Wednesday.   I called united and they rebooked me on Wednesday.  

Since I couldn't and wouldn't be waiting until Wed I had no choice but to pay $250 for a seat on a charter.  And since that flight was much later I missed my United connection at FLL and also had to pay for a hotel room.     

United says its Silvers responsibility.  Silver say Citi should refund me.   Citi says the ticket is with United.   Someone owes me $400 plus the cxld ticket cost.   I just don't know who is responsible.  

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d say if United didn’t book the charter and the hotel room, you’re on the hook. 

This.

59 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

How much is your time worth?  Because you are going to spend a bunch of it chasing $400.

Also this.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

How much is your time worth?  Because you are going to spend a bunch of it chasing $400.

This is true. But If I was going to throw time at this I would throw it towards trying to get something from Citibank, and let them work the rest out on the backend. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This is true. But If I was going to throw time at this I would throw it towards trying to get something from Citibank, and let them work the rest out on the backend. 

Sure.  It’s why if you are hit by someone insured by Fred Loya you just claim it under your insurance and let them figure it out.  It’s easier.  It would seem like Silver is the Fred Loya in this situation.  So you go after United or Citibank.  With some of tbe travel insurance things credit cards provide these days, that is where I would start.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

They rebooked you. You changed it to the cancelled flight. Your problem.

They booked me 3 days later.  I would have incurred $900 in hotel expenses if I had waited the 3 days since there is no other hotel on the island. 

I really think this falls on United.  They booked the flight.  The rebooked the flight.  I have a United confirmation number. 

Unfortunately I used my Citi Premier pts to buy the United/Silver flight.  Citi offers no trip insurance.   I'm going to use up my pts and close this card soon.  Really good earning card but bad service.  eg they've declined my card for gas on the other part of town etc.   And no travel benefits.

I used UA pts for the in country flights but did pay the tax with my United Infinite card so I have filed a claim with them. 

I'm going to file a claim with Sliver but I don't expect anything from them.  My understanding is they are circling the drain.  Do no fly this airline.

I used my Hilton Aspire card for the hotel.  It's their top card so it does have some travel benefits but from what I can see reading the terms they only cover things related to the hotel but I will contact them.   

I do have an AMEX Plat which usually will cover if you booked any portion of your trip on your plat. I did use this card to pay for the ferry from the airstrip on Bimini to the hotel so Ill try to file with them. 

Edited by midtown

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

There are some private pilots doing quite well in the Caribbean. 

$250 from Miami to Bimini.

It was $175 from St Thomas to St Croix last time I was I was in the USVI. 

I’d imagine the Hawaiian island puddle jumpers are doing similar business. 

I’ve always been curious of these “puddle jump” airlines. Most are in good shape, have good crews and seem to do well. Always happy. The two companies in Belize are constantly updating planes and have nice terminals/buildings.

If the flight was cancelled because of weather, you aren't getting anything back regardless of the other circumstances.  If the airline doesn't put you in a hotel or rent a car for you, you aren't getting reimbursed for it.  I've been down the same road before and it's not worth the aggravation.

Edited by kevwun

Just now, kevwun said:

If the flight was cancelled because of weather, you aren't getting anything back regardless of the other circumstances.

Not weather.  Flights we're coming and going all day.  In talking to a pilot while I was waiting he said Silver is notorious for finding any reason to cancel.   He said the excuse they used to cancel my flight was that the fire truck wouldn't start and you can't fly in or out of a airport without a working fire truck.   Apparently it didn't start once so they canceled but then 10 mins later it started up and flights were going in and out all day again.   It's complete bullshit.

23 hours ago, midtown said:

I used Citibank thank you rewards for a RT flight from FLL to Bimini.    Citi booked me on United who subbed the flight to Sliver Air.

On the return leg on Sunday my flight was completely canceled and the next flight wasn't until Wednesday.   I called united and they rebooked me on Wednesday.  

Since I couldn't and wouldn't be waiting until Wed I had no choice but to pay $250 for a seat on a charter.  And since that flight was much later I missed my United connection at FLL and also had to pay for a hotel room.     

United says its Silvers responsibility.  Silver say Citi should refund me.   Citi says the ticket is with United.   Someone owes me $400 plus the cxld ticket cost.   I just don't know who is responsible.  

I thought about Bimini and Silver.  Until I read the reviews.  You need to know what you're getting into.

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Until I read the reviews.  You need to know what you're getting into.

I had never heard of Silver before this trip and unfortunately its the only airline that flies from the US to Bimini.   I've flown all kinds of puddle jumpers in many counties and the US so I didnt think much about it.   But yes.  Its horrible.  Even going there we kept running into people in FLL that were either canceled or delayed.  

We live in Naples so our options to get down there are different.  We can do a charter round trip for $1800 and leave when we want and just walk out on the tarmac and get on the plane without going through TSA from the Naples airport.  $1800 covers up to 5 passengers.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 1