Jackson & Biloxi MS

YoungCounty

We are heading to Jackson tomorrow. Then on to Biloxi for a few days. Any recommendations on places to eat or things to do in either?

I have never been to Mississippi. I’m sure  surly will say it sucks and full of racist rednecks. I understand that. But there has to be just a few decent places to eat and fun things to do. 

23 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Grab a Po-boy from Pirates Cove. Like do not miss this opportunity. 

And for a “nicer” place…. https://www.chimneysrestaurant.com

Just looked up Pirates Cove. Great reviews and looks good. Thanks. 

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not either place, but assuming you go on 20, a stop in Vicksburg is very worthwhile.  Hell, it's probably worth a detour.

We are driving right through Vicksburg on the way to Jackson tomorrow. I’m all for stopping there on our way through. What makes it worth the detour, if I wasn’t going that way?

Civil War battlefield. 

I spent a ton of time in MS right out of college for work. I don’t miss it at all but you can find good southern food and catfish all over. I quit going more than a few times a year after Katrina. I’m sure Biloxi especially is much different now. 

I spent a night in Biloxi that was so uneventful I can't even remember where we ate.  No food recs. 

Nice hotel on the beach, but the water was pretty rough.  Beaches aren't as nice as those in the panhandle to the east.

Drove by Jefferson Davis' house, if you're into Civil War history maybe check it out.

I lived in Jackson in the mid 90’s for a few years. There’s a few places to eat.

Walkers Drive In is top shelf and I used to eat there about once a week. Upscale southern diner food.

MM Shapley’s is a New Orleans style steakhouse that’s great. It’s expensive but we always loved it. He also has great tamales, which are a staple in all kinds of restaurants in Mississippi. Goes back to the importing of Mexican labor after the Great flood.

The beaches in Biloxi suck. But if you go out to the Ship Islands they are wonderful.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, YoungCounty said:

We are staying downtown in Jackson. 

We are staying at a house on the beach in Biloxi. From the map it looks to be a few blocks from Jefferson Davis house. 

Yikes. Be safe. 

But Mayflower Cafe is downtown. Great food and tons of character. Been there forever. Get onions rings with comeback and whatever fresh fish they have. 

Or go a mile north and go to Manship or Elvies. 

Mary Mahoneys in Biloxi is a staple. 

https://www.marymahoneys.com

13 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Had to go to Jackson for work a couple times this spring. Iron Horse downtown was a really cool spot with good food and drinks, in a very cool old building. There’s a decent Mediterranean place over by millsaps. That’s all I got. 

Thanks for the heads up on Iron Horse. Good food, awesome building, great service, and a fun time. Even had live music. 

14 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The beaches in Biloxi suck. But if you go out to the Ship Islands they are wonderful.

How bad of beaches are we talking? Like Galveston bad?  A few friends I’ve talked to the past month or so have told me Biloxi has really improved after Katrina. Of course have no to reference point to what it improved from. 

21 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Yikes. Be safe. 

Are you referring to Jackson or Biloxi?  So far Jackson has been fine as far as feeling safe. Unfortunately there isn’t much going on tonight, it seems. 

• Hook 'Em 1