2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!

Js1

13 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I've seen Elliott pissed a few times but never that upset with refs. He was heated. 

Ol' boy was HOT. Been watching this team for about 15yrs now and agree - that was as pissed as I've ever seen him.  Up ref knew he fucked up too.

13 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The big difference between this team the last 2 years is they are entirely different from the service line. 

Finally putting pressure on teams. 

I thought they really missed an opportunity up 11-4/13-5 in the 2nd and could have really come out of the timeout firing and going for it at the line.

First match of the year for me.  WSU did great in 2 areas specifically, imo: backyard junk ball - they played the sloppy points SO much better than Texas did and absolutely killed the Horns w/ dinks.  Then when they were in system, they were much more accurate w/ their swings and finding the floor.  Was really impressed w/ 7 and 15 specifically finding their way around the block. Conversely, Texas was either hitting wide (25HE) or right at a body, and WSU was getting the dig.  And Texas didn't have a terrible number of service errors, but damn if it didn't seem like every one was on 1st serve and/or coming out of a timeout or stoppage - just killed momentum w/ no help from WSU.

• Like 1

The biggest weaknesses that need to be addressed this week are serve-receive passing and production at the OH2 position (Wenaas' spot).

Barnes was supposed to come and stabilize the backrow but she has progressively worsened each match (just my observation). Maybe it's because she is playing out of her natural left back (libero) position, but so far her ball control has been really streaky in both the middle and right back positions. And I think that has affected Akana from playing at a high level since she is now having to adjust to playing middle back, instead of her natural position at right back.

If Barnes continues to struggle, I'd actually like to see Wenaas replace her and just focus on her backrow play. Then Byrd can rotate in and hit for her on the left pin when she rotates to the front row.  Byrd can provide the hitting production that the team desperately needs on the left pin, and Jenna can still be an offensive outlet attacking from the backrow if needed. Plus, this move would also allow Akana to play in her right back position. 

I think this change can help stabilize the ball control issues. If not, then Air Byrd can just go up and attack the ball with whatever out-of-system set she gets. Either way, with her vertical jump and fast arm swing, she's going to be terminating the ball at a higher clip than what Wenaas has been producing at. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas drops to 9th.  So weird to see us so near the bottom of the top 10

A top 4 seed is probably way gone - just going to be the kind of the year where we grow/develop and have to get to Tampa while on the road.

1 Wisky
2 Nebraska
3 Florida
4 Stanford
5 Louisville
7 Washington St
9 Texas
10 BYU
12 Minnesota
17 Kansas
18 Baylor
20 Houston
21 Ohio State
25 Iowa State

• blacklab changed the title to 2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!