2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!

Js1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So is this a year that Texas is talented enough to win it all, but way too inconsistent to not get clipped at some point during the tournament, even early?

I’d wait and see how we look by season’s end. That’s another 2 months for Swindle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Haven't seen every match, but it seems to me like Swindle's getting more comfortable, the team is starting to relax, and they're just getting better. Still some work to do, of course, but by the postseason they could be pretty nasty and a team nobody really wants to face. That sound about right to y'all?

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, wood said:

Haven't seen every match, but it seems to me like Swindle's getting more comfortable, the team is starting to relax, and they're just getting better. Still some work to do, of course, but by the postseason they could be pretty nasty and a team nobody really wants to face. That sound about right to y'all?

Yes

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Missed the game. How did we look?

We had some issues with the BYU block but our serving really gave BYU a hard time. Skinner is Skinner, Bergmark is very efficient, Molly had a big night. Emma was fantastic after a meh Thursday night. 

Wenaas is our biggest weakness. She almost needs to watch the match for a bit before she comes in. She seems much better in sets 2-4 than set 1

Of the Big 12 schedule, these 2 matches and the 2 @ UH scared me the most. We passed this test. But now we have ranked KU at home and then ranked UH on the road. A brutal 6 game stretch, followed by TCU and then Baylor 2x. Just an absolute beast of 8 ranked opponents in 9 matches. 

Edited by Js1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

We had some issues with the BYU block but our serving really gave BYU a hard time. Skinner is Skinner, Bergmark is very efficient, Molly had a big night. Emma was fantastic after a meh Thursday night. 

Wenaas is our biggest weakness. She almost needs to watch the match for a bit before she comes in. She seems much better in sets 2-4 than set 1

Of the Big 12 schedule, these 2 matches and the 2 @ UH scared me the most. We passed this test. But now we have ranked KU at home and then ranked UH on the road. A brutal 6 game stretch, followed by TCU and then Baylor 2x. Just an absolute beast of 8 ranked opponents in 9 matches. 

We are taking my daughter's club team and the parents to the UH game. Should be a good one.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Js1 said:

Good.  It beats going into the postseason untested every year because the conference sucks.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Good.  It beats going into the postseason untested every year because the conference sucks.  

BYU will be our biggest test. Maybe KU next week. Both are at home, which is not where we will be playing the regional semifinals and finals. Other than Minnesota, most of our toughest matches have been/will be at home - Stanford, WSU, Baylor, KU, BYU and ISU. UH and TCU will be good road tests but not great ones 

UH doesn’t look good. Baylor looks inconsistent again. ISU looks better than expected (3-2 over Baylor yesterday). TCU will be a tough out - Parra is thriving there (and I love that for her) 

Edited by Js1

Tbh this team reminds me a little of the 2021 team - we are good in all positions, great in some (middle), but idk if we can get a deep run this year. I would like to be proven wrong though! 

Good news is we seem to be trending up - better defense in the back row and at the net

• blacklab changed the title to 2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!