2023 HR Derby

Guadaloopy

20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I do miss the old format with 10 outs.

the crazy thing about the Hamilton one was he was at 11 HR with 7 outs and hit 17 after that.

It was good that like in baseball as long as you kept hitting them you had a chance.

34 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the crazy thing about the Hamilton one was he was at 11 HR with 7 outs and hit 17 after that.

It was good that like in baseball as long as you kept hitting them you had a chance.

Yep. As with every other scenario, baseball is not meant to have clocks and is a better game without them. 

18 minutes ago, BERT said:

Yeah, for people that can’t pay attention for shit

That’s what everyone gets wrong about what the game turned into. There was nothing to pay attention to while the pitcher played with the rosin bag and the batter adjusted his gloves for 30 seconds after every pitch. Now with a quicker pace you actually have to pay more attention.

• Drool 1

30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

100% trimmed fat. nothing taken out of the game but total filler. if you hate that rule it's not because you love baseball- that rule just maximized the actual amount of baseball you get per outing. if you hate that rule you probably just hate change.

Don’t tell me why I hate or don’t hate something. You sound like your brother talking like that

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

the game today with the pitch clock >>>>>>>>>>>> the game of recent years.

unfortunately the game needed the pitch clock.   not a fan of the extra inning rules, the 2 throws to 1B limit., bigger bases

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Surprised this had happened in recent years. It may have. 

It's a circus with all those kids. Instead of 100 running around all over the place, just put 3 or 4 in each area.  Yeah, we wouldn't have 100 winners of some contest but too bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

agree to disagree

ok but just curious- why? what about the game has been diminished for you this season? i'm genuinely curious because i've loved baseball my entire life, and there was never a point where i personally felt that the games were too long. but now that i've gotten to see the game with most of the fat trimmed, i'm hooked. my viewing experience is incalculably better now. it's just jam packed, non stop baseball. batting averages are up, stolen bases are way up- i mean elly doesn't get to steal every single base including home and blow everyone's tits off without these rule changes, including the pitch clock.

i personally am loving the new rule changes (and the process by which they've come about, been tested/approved/implemented), and i'm about ready to call theo epstein the most important baseball figure of all time/GOAT. everything he touches turns to gold, in my eyes anyway. ten-fifteen years from now younger baseball fans will not be able to wrap their heads around how anyone put up with the stone age of the twenty teens when pitchers took half an hour to walk around the mound and talk to themselves between every single pitch, when they threw over to first five times in a row, and when a single AB could go 8 pitches and last five minutes. i'm personally blown away by how much i love all of the new changes, and i kinda can't believe that i wasn't more bothered by all of the complete nonsense that used to exist in the game.

also, it no doubt helps that i spend at least 3-4 days a week on mlb.tv going from game to game to game to keep up with my fantasy teams. that experience moves at warp speed compared to years past. 

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

ok but just curious- why? what about the game has been diminished for you this season? i'm genuinely curious because i've loved baseball my entire life, and there was never a point where i personally felt that the games were too long. but now that i've gotten to see the game with most of the fat trimmed, i'm hooked. my viewing experience is incalculably better now. it's just jam packed, non stop baseball. batting averages are up, stolen bases are way up- i mean elly doesn't get to steal every single base including home and blow everyone's tits off without these rule changes, including the pitch clock.

i personally am loving the new rule changes (and the process by which they've come about, been tested/approved/implemented), and i'm about ready to call theo epstein the most important baseball figure of all time/GOAT. everything he touches turns to gold, in my eyes anyway. ten-fifteen years from now younger baseball fans will not be able to wrap their heads around how anyone put up with the stone age of the twenty teens when pitchers took half an hour to walk around the mound and talk to themselves between every single pitch, when they threw over to first five times in a row, and when a single AB could go 8 pitches and last five minutes. i'm personally blown away by how much i love all of the new changes, and i kinda can't believe that i wasn't more bothered by all of the complete nonsense that used to exist in the game.

also, it no doubt helps that i spend at least 3-4 days a week on mlb.tv going from game to game to game to keep up with my fantasy teams. that experience moves at warp speed compared to years past. 

Plus Plus Plus