Ski Season 2023/2024

texasdago

What's funny about that picture is the "line" for the ridge is really nothing... that's what I really liked about Taos.  

One thing I tell my boys... get better and you get to progress to less crowded slopes, less crowded lifts and more exciting skiing.  Those stuck in the beginning/low intermediate rut have to deal with crowds.  Case in point... two years ago we were in Crested Butte just after lunch... the Red Lady Express lift had a "longer than I like" line and the Silver Queen Express Lift had a very short line.  Red Lady goes to a ton of greens whereas Silver Queen goes to blues and blacks.  I was pushing my boys to the Silver Queen so we could warm up on Paradise Bowl to avoid the masses.  Had to get it through their thick skulls that it made more sense.  Two years later I'm getting them on some blacks and they're understanding... 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, texasdago said:

What's funny about that picture is the "line" for the ridge is really nothing... that's what I really liked about Taos.  

One thing I tell my boys... get better and you get to progress to less crowded slopes, less crowded lifts and more exciting skiing.  Those stuck in the beginning/low intermediate rut have to deal with crowds.  Case in point... two years ago we were in Crested Butte just after lunch... the Red Lady Express lift had a "longer than I like" line and the Silver Queen Express Lift had a very short line.  Red Lady goes to a ton of greens whereas Silver Queen goes to blues and blacks.  I was pushing my boys to the Silver Queen so we could warm up on Paradise Bowl to avoid the masses.  Had to get it through their thick skulls that it made more sense.  Two years later I'm getting them on some blacks and they're understanding... 

Depends on the resort, IMO.  That's one thing (of many) I don't like about Vail.  The way the mountain funnels everyone to the same lifts.  There's really no way to get away from the crowds on the front side of the mountain.  Whereas Copper Mountain and Winter Park it's fairly easy to get away from the crowds most days.

3 ski days in aspen last week. 2 on highlands and 1 on buttermilk with the kids. Snow was ok but not great. Pretty icy by day 3 then of course snowed hard the morning we left. No lines anywhere and town was relatively empty too. Getting old and more and more injury prone so my goal was no falls. Made it to the end of day two on highlands - took a wrong turn and got caught in a double black. Made it about half way down then got timid on the bumps, leaned back, lost it and hit the back of my head hard. Scared me more than anything. My head doesn’t hurt but both sides of my neck have been sore as hell for several days. Never had whiplash and was surprised the pain was on both sides of the neck. I think cruising greens on buttermilk from here on out.

11 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

3 ski days in aspen last week. 2 on highlands and 1 on buttermilk with the kids. Snow was ok but not great. Pretty icy by day 3 then of course snowed hard the morning we left. No lines anywhere and town was relatively empty too. Getting old and more and more injury prone so my goal was no falls. Made it to the end of day two on highlands - took a wrong turn and got caught in a double black. Made it about half way down then got timid on the bumps, leaned back, lost it and hit the back of my head hard. Scared me more than anything. My head doesn’t hurt but both sides of my neck have been sore as hell for several days. Never had whiplash and was surprised the pain was on both sides of the neck. I think cruising greens on buttermilk from here on out.

If you have your own helmet, it's time for a new one.  They are only rated for one good impact.

16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Depends on the resort, IMO.  That's one thing (of many) I don't like about Vail.  The way the mountain funnels everyone to the same lifts.  There's really no way to get away from the crowds on the front side of the mountain.  Whereas Copper Mountain and Winter Park it's fairly easy to get away from the crowds most days.

Copper Mountain really does have a great layout... haven't been back in decades (!) but always remembered you could easily stay away from the madness. Purgatory has that to some extent with the backside with lift 8 and to some extent 5.

Ooooffff... winds in Taos look brutal.  Webcam shows lifts are not running and there doesn't appear to be any effort to get them up and spinning.

https://www.skitaos.com/lifts-trails#weather-forecast

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Copper Mountain really does have a great layout... haven't been back in decades (!) but always remembered you could easily stay away from the madness. Purgatory has that to some extent with the backside with lift 8 and to some extent 5.

Ooooffff... winds in Taos look brutal.  Webcam shows lifts are not running and there doesn't appear to be any effort to get them up and spinning.

https://www.skitaos.com/lifts-trails#weather-forecast

Wow! Winds are crazy and brutal temps - negative mornings and single digit highs the next several days - Ouch.  I'm headed back to TSV in two weeks so hopefully gets some snow and more normal temps/winds by then....

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, JCHIL said:

Wow! Winds are crazy and brutal temps - negative mornings and single digit highs the next several days - Ouch.  I'm headed back to TSV in two weeks so hopefully gets some snow and more normal temps/winds by then....

Out of curiosity, do you have access to a place there that makes it easy to go frequently?  

5 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Heading to Montana tomorrow. Definitely the coldest weather I will have experienced. Gonna need more Fireball and toe warmers.

image.thumb.png.04b2ca0cb46d6924c9fa51a9beb4fb10.png

Big Sky is great but damn it can be frigid!  I skied there on New Year's day three years ago or so and it was -8 - the coldest temp Ive ever skied in - I could ski about 1.5 hours before having to take a break to warm up.   25" base is thin for there but I think more snow is on the way.  I have skied there 4-5 times and love the mountain - still havent even covered half of the mtn it is such an expansive resort - have fun and post pics!  

45 minutes ago, texasdago said:

On the positive side... "Wind chill values as low as -30."

Yeah, gonna be cold AF this weekend.  I'm skiing tomorrow but not really looking forward to it.  If my son wasn't going, I'd probably skip it.  Not a big fan of skiing in sub zero temps.

My kid has his first  race of the year this weekend.  These are the highs. He's a seasoned Minnesotan, but I can't say I love the idea of him standing at the top of a hill in nothing but a race suit.

image.thumb.png.02e3fb7b5365545e1ce4b1b2620681b0.png

*Reposting because I accidentally replied to the "travel" thread.  

On 1/9/2024 at 7:00 PM, Gale Snoats said:

Heading there in a couple weeks with a group of buddies.  One of them has a house, so we should be good on local intel, but is there anything you can pass along for newb to Aspen?  Believe we are skiing Snowmass 1 day and then whatever mnt has the Cloud 9 restaurant/bar the other.  Eating at Catch one night.

Looks like we'll be getting much better snow than you got.  Family and I were at Breck for Christmas and we had similar snow to what you described, still fun though.

Edited by jdhorn92

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

19 inches at Winter Park and Berthoud has been closed since yesterday from an avalanche. Anyone who is there gets epic snow today. The rest of us do not.

I saw that 10 cars were buried in that avalanche.  Not sure how many were picking up hitchhikers below some sweeeet lines.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:46 AM, jdhorn92 said:

Heading there in a couple weeks with a group of buddies.  One of them has a house, so we should be good on local intel, but is there anything you can pass along for newb to Aspen?  Believe we are skiing Snowmass 1 day and then whatever mnt has the Cloud 9 restaurant/bar the other.  Eating at Catch one night.

Looks like we'll be getting much better snow than you got.  Family and I were at Breck for Christmas and we had similar snow to what you described, still fun though.

We always hit the MML places up there -- Clark's and Las Montanas.  We have a Clarks here but enjoy the one up there.  Las Montanas is great -- fajitas on par with La Piscina here in Austin but they have queso too. MML also has a great bakery in the business park across from the airport.  Cloud 9 is a crazy scene if you hit it on the right day and worth doing once just for the experience and to see the jetset crowd champagne showers.  All in all Aspen is very very expensive but once you get past that it's a great place to spend a few days.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 11:46 AM, jdhorn92 said:

Try to get reservations at Lynn Britt Cabin on the mountain at Snowmass.  If the weather is nice, sit outside and get a drink at the outdoor bar.  Sam’s is also good and you should get reservations.  I don’t ski at Aspen Mountain so no mountain recommendations there.  But, as mentioned, for in town dining Clark’s is always good (love the cioppino).  The famous sushi places are very good.  Pretty much any of the downtown Aspen restaurants that have been open for several years are excellent if you can get in.  I like the bars at the Little Nell and I still love the J Bar at the Jerome.  One of my favorite places in Snowmass Village is Il Poggio.  I believe it’s closing in October after 30 years in business.  Just classic good Italian.  It’s still a relative bargain for the area and it has a very good wine list for the money.  

• Hook 'Em 1

For you all talking Taos, is there a certain area you’d recommend to stay, ski in/ski out or better to get a house away from the resort? I may be with or w/o kids. Been to AF and SF recently but haven’t skied Taos in 30+ yrs

10 hours ago, ballrific said:

For you all talking Taos, is there a certain area you’d recommend to stay, ski in/ski out or better to get a house away from the resort? I may be with or w/o kids. Been to AF and SF recently but haven’t skied Taos in 30+ yrs

I've only been once for skiing... here's what I can say...

In town:

Pro: Cheaper hotels, bigger selection of hotels and you can find options with flexible terms.  Clearly closer to many many more restaurants (town goes to sleep around 8/9 PM) and markets, stores, etc.  For sure more to do.

Con: 30 minute one way drive to/from the town of Taos is not "bad" but it gets to be a slog on multi-day trips.  Service in Taos is very average... feels like they are grudgingly helping you out.

In Taos Ski Valley:

Pro: Can't speak for the places about 2 miles in but you can't beat being on/near the slopes.  Just roll out and go skiing and its always cool being by the mountain.  Well laid out and compact base area.  Service in TSV is great... there are a few food options and the kids can sled after skiing, etc.  TSV is a great ski mountain.  Probably don't have to tell you that.  

Con: From what we saw, everything is either $$$$ or the more affordable options are "non-refundable" which bites.  Searching for options is a bit of a pain in the ass since most of the lodging web pages were designed for Netscape in 1995.  Not a ton of variety for food and prices are higher though the little market by the skating rink did have good and reasonable lunch options.  Shade tends to hit early so if you think Taos rolls up the carpet at 8/9 PM, I'm sure TSV is even sooner.  

BUT

If the cost and non-refundable factor wasn't an issue, I'd probably roll with it and stay slopeside.  If you don't want to fork out the $, we liked the La Fonda de Taos because of the location and the little cafe and the staff was great.  Our friends stayed at the Wyndham/Worldmark or whatever its called and that seemed like a good option.  Inn at La Loma Plaza is a charming place... stayed there in the summer.  

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I've only been once for skiing... here's what I can say...

In town:

Pro: Cheaper hotels, bigger selection of hotels and you can find options with flexible terms.  Clearly closer to many many more restaurants (town goes to sleep around 8/9 PM) and markets, stores, etc.  For sure more to do.

Con: 30 minute one way drive to/from the town of Taos is not "bad" but it gets to be a slog on multi-day trips.  Service in Taos is very average... feels like they are grudgingly helping you out.

In Taos Ski Valley:

Pro: Can't speak for the places about 2 miles in but you can't beat being on/near the slopes.  Just roll out and go skiing and its always cool being by the mountain.  Well laid out and compact base area.  Service in TSV is great... there are a few food options and the kids can sled after skiing, etc.  TSV is a great ski mountain.  Probably don't have to tell you that.  

Con: From what we saw, everything is either $$$$ or the more affordable options are "non-refundable" which bites.  Searching for options is a bit of a pain in the ass since most of the lodging web pages were designed for Netscape in 1995.  Not a ton of variety for food and prices are higher though the little market by the skating rink did have good and reasonable lunch options.  Shade tends to hit early so if you think Taos rolls up the carpet at 8/9 PM, I'm sure TSV is even sooner.  

BUT

If the cost and non-refundable factor wasn't an issue, I'd probably roll with it and stay slopeside.  If you don't want to fork out the $, we liked the La Fonda de Taos because of the location and the little cafe and the staff was great.  Our friends stayed at the Wyndham/Worldmark or whatever its called and that seemed like a good option.  Inn at La Loma Plaza is a charming place... stayed there in the summer.  

Thanks.  Sounds like if you want to avoid a little less hassle and overpay a bit more, staying in TSV right off the slopes can be fine.  Sounds like alot of ski resorts, ha.  Does TSV have legit ski in/ski out or is it something like unclick from your boots and then you're within 500-1,000 yards of your condo?

9 minutes ago, ballrific said:

Thanks.  Sounds like if you want to avoid a little less hassle and overpay a bit more, staying in TSV right off the slopes can be fine.  Sounds like alot of ski resorts, ha.  Does TSV have legit ski in/ski out or is it something like unclick from your boots and then you're within 500-1,000 yards of your condo?

There is definitely legit ski in/ski out.  Not a huge amount since TSV is relatively compact at the base but, yes.  Kandahar looks cool but I think prices hovered around $600 a night.  Sometimes you suck it up and pay for the privilege.  

Found this place in CB for March... no frills but surprisingly reasonably priced given the location...

image.thumb.png.098c37373f104c547055289721762ce7.png

41 minutes ago, ballrific said:

A few Legit Ski In/Ski Out starting with more affordable to more expensive :

Kandahar - Located on kids slopes, all individually owned, some nice units, some not so much....

Snowbear - dont know much other than ski in/out

Powderhorn - condos - dont know much about

Sierra del Sol - not technically ski in/out but very close - basic looking condos - nothing special but close

Snakedance Condos - Legit ski in/out - Solid 3 star property with 5 star location - maybe best value in TSV

Alpine Suites - not technically ski in/out but very good location - 50 yds from "beach"

Edelweiss Condos - Legit ski in/out - very nice, expensive

The Blake Hotel - owned by TSV Inc. - nicest place in TSV - 5 star - 25 yards from "beach", expensive with many amenities like outdoor heated pool/hot tub, spa etc.

Other options - several VRBO houses with access to the Rubezal connector ski trail in TSV

A very good compromise are the rental homes in "Los Altos" neighborhood located just off the hwy 150 after passing thru the tiny enclave of Arroyo Seco going up to TSV at base/foothills of mountain about halfway between town and ski valley - very cool adobe homes about 9-10 miles away from both the Town and Ski Valley

• Like 1

774915C2-9DB4-4703-ABD9-F9F26BFEF19F.thumb.jpeg.cc7079061206353ce8dc6cfbf7c557fc.jpeg
This is back of Snakedance Condos - the back door is a ski locker room where you keep your skis boots etc.  Boot up in the locker room and walk out this door and ski or walk 30 yards to Lift #1 (see new construction of St Bernard Hotel on right…soon to be the most luxurious lodging in TSV with the best location)

Dude... the amount of snow in the past two weeks at TSV...

I know a few people stay in Arroyo Seco.  That seems like a decent compromise and every time we drive through that funky blip on the map, I think it looks cool.  Plus Taos Cow makes for a nice post-ski snack/coffee.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mt Baker:

Calling all midweek powder hounds! We’ve got a Winter Storm Warning and today is shouting your name.  We are expecting more snow throughout the day, so get started on your stretching routine and carb loading to properly fuel your body for a big day! NWAC is calling for anywhere between 1-2 feet of snow by tonight, as the brunt of the storm will be passing through our region during the morning hours. We're looking at phenomenal snow conditions ALL DAY! Plus, the 542 is currently the best road in the county thanks to our our all-star D.O.T. crew. Please still remember to carry your chains and be prepared for your drive into our winter wonderland. 

But also:

NWAC High Avalanche Advisory 

• Mt. Baker Ski Patrol will NOT RESPOND for rescue
  • BACKCOUNTRY AVALANCHE DANGER RATING
  • 4 High : Very dangerous avalanche conditions. Travel in avalanche terrain NOT recommended

which wouldn’t affect us, but when you “call all powder hounds…”
Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

• BACKCOUNTRY AVALANCHE DANGER RATING
  • 4 High : Very dangerous avalanche conditions. Travel in avalanche terrain NOT recommendedwhich wouldn’t affect us, but when you “call all powder hounds…”

One of my kids is near Bridger-Teton (Wyoming/Idaho) and said that's also been an issue there.

If you're based out of Austin, here's a strong recommendation for getting your skis tuned at St. Bernard on Bee Cave.  Edge and wax cheaper than any other place in town.  Had them do a release check on my bindings, too, since I hadn't had them checked in nearly 5 years.  

5 days total in Whistler so far this year. Only 1.5 hr away so did a long weekend and do day trips. Long day but awesome especially when doing it alone.

problem this year in whistler is the snow keeps melting and becoming slosh at the base. Pictures from yesterday.

IMG_4390.jpg

IMG_4395.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/19/2024 at 6:38 PM, PRONG HORN said:

Watch the guy clipped onto the side of the toboggan.  

That’s tending the basket.  The guy in the basket is immobilized and can’t help himself, so someone rides alongside to monitor pinch points, strap tightness, can flip then basket sideways if the patient starts to throw up, etc. 

I did a little volunteer technical rescue training at a previous employer and we did some of that.  Defending a 40 foot roof, not under a helicopter but same basic premise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/16/2024 at 3:43 PM, HouTex said:

Try to get reservations at Lynn Britt Cabin on the mountain at Snowmass.  If the weather is nice, sit outside and get a drink at the outdoor bar.  Sam’s is also good and you should get reservations.  I don’t ski at Aspen Mountain so no mountain recommendations there.  But, as mentioned, for in town dining Clark’s is always good (love the cioppino).  The famous sushi places are very good.  Pretty much any of the downtown Aspen restaurants that have been open for several years are excellent if you can get in.  I like the bars at the Little Nell and I still love the J Bar at the Jerome.  One of my favorite places in Snowmass Village is Il Poggio.  I believe it’s closing in October after 30 years in business.  Just classic good Italian.  It’s still a relative bargain for the area and it has a very good wine list for the money.  

Catch Thursday and Aquolina (sp) for Friday; Saturday night we got a chef coming to cook  after either later lunch drinks at cloud 9 or some apres ski concert, probably hang at the mountain a little later Saturday. Looking forward to it,  10 old Horns from ‘92 getting together, about half from Dallas, half from Houston and half from out of state. Going to be some tall tales told, some that haven’t seen the light of day since fall ‘88 

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Catch Thursday and Aquolina (sp) for Friday; Saturday night we got a chef coming to cook  after either later lunch drinks at cloud 9 or some apres ski concert, probably hang at the mountain a little later Saturday. Looking forward to it,  10 old Horns from ‘92 getting together, about half from Dallas, half from Houston and half from out of state. Going to be some tall tales told, some that haven’t seen the light of day since fall ‘88 

You are about 8 years behind me.  I was 80-84.  I would have a very hard time getting more than three guys on a ski trip now that we are all around 62.  Luckily, and knock on wood, my wife and I are still in pretty good shape.  I hope to have 10+ years of good skiing ahead.  But we are the exception.  

• Hook 'Em 2