Radical republicans are moving forward with rewriting and whitewashing history

Pancho

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

man, you folks are some defeated pantywaists. No wonder these dumb fucks keep pulling shit over on us. these people are not smart enough to erase history. it's literally impossible. but keep dreaming up boogeymen to fear instead of, i dunno, living your life.

I don't see anyone defeated.  Just recognizing the threat for what it is.  No one is pulling anything over on anyone.  But if you don't think they GQP are a legitimate threat, well, the Jan 6 crew out front shoulda toldja. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

man, you folks are some defeated pantywaists. No wonder these dumb fucks keep pulling shit over on us. these people are not smart enough to erase history. it's literally impossible. but keep dreaming up boogeymen to fear instead of, i dunno, living your life.

In case you haven’t noticed, we’re a nation of idiots. A whole lotta people out there aren’t going to Google to seek out information. They’re going to Fox News and AM radio and Facebook and TikTok comments. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nbmishoid said:

My mom had a saying, one of the many tough truths she whupped into my brain, via my backside,  “Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see”.   At the time I thought this saying was, if not nuts, then a typically vast overstatement.  
She was way ahead of her time.  On the other hand, we have now a large segment of the society that believes nothing of what they may see or hear, only what they are “told” I.e instructed.  The aim Is to extend this model to us all. 

How many times have you tried to improve on the wheel?

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I don't see anyone defeated.  Just recognizing the threat for what it is.  No one is pulling anything over on anyone.  But if you don't think they GQP are a legitimate threat, well, the Jan 6 crew out front shoulda toldja. 

Defeatism isn't the problem, as you say. The downbeat vibe is the growing likelihood that the MAGA fascists will force a choice between holding onto the comforts of a compromised then lost republic or tossing the comfort part aside and meeting violence with violence.

Nobody likes the prospect of what a 21st Century American Civil War will look like. We didn't know we were growing up in a banana republic where one day the biggest question facing us would be, "where does the Army stand?"

We didn't expect that the republic could be attacked by fascists in broad daylight and then be defended by a huge plurality of citizens while their grand political leader would get to go to Florida with state secrets and rally his rabble to violent acts against other citizens.

We didn't anticipate that we could not have consensus on basic reality and facts that are literally self-evident.

We left the world of rational discussion or even tolerance for anything different than the norm as described by religious zealots and cynical megalomaniacs.

I don't want fighting in the streets. I would rather push a button that instantly killed every person irretrievably caught up in this racist lurch towards totalitarian rule. I see enemies who deserve what I prescribe. Sadly, the process will be costly, more difficult, and perhaps something too many of us balk at doing.

I like drive-thru tacos, streaming TV, and steel-belted radials. Maybe I just want to be left alone. You know, a selfish surburban boy.

We all know things are bad -- worse than bad -- they're crazy.

It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out any more. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we're living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, "Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials, and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.

1984, A Face in the Crowd, Network. All you needed to know right there. Fuck.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

have you ever read anything I have posted? if so you would know where I stand on this. the GQP and their enablers/funders are a profound threat to mankind's survival. I say that without a shred of hyperbole. now that we've set the baseline..

this is nothing more than another worthless crusade at trying to change the narrative when conventional means no longer work. it will backfire like everything else they do. their ultimate objective is simply unattainable. 50 years ago, maybe not. this is THE INFORMATION AGE after all. if someone wants to find the truth, they will. it is way easier now - even with the continued obfuscation efforts by the right - for someone who wants knowledge to get it than it ever has been. and even takes into account bots and misinfo and everything else. it will only get better from here.

1 hour ago, nbmishoid said:

LF

Good points.  It is also easier than ever to be an malicious idiot.

but the checks on that come more naturally and with greater effectiveness over time as well. the younger generations see through the bullshit - or at least enough of them do to sustain this country and the world a little longer. if it doesn't all burst into flames first.

Imagine their excited anticipation as they cruised over in beautiful sailing ships thumbing through pamphlets about their bright futures and waiting educations! These people would recline in the spacious below-deck lounge exchanging visions of their bright futures in the greatest country the world has ever known.

spacer.png

Imagine the thrill of the middle passage!

DeSantis' scholars tell us this is so. There's nothing for our precious children to feel bad or sad about for the rest of their deluded lives!

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Somehow, I stumbled upon this document that purports to be a Floriduh curriculum document. https://static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2023/07/Florida-Educcation-Standards.pdf

It does include the controversial statement, but overall is not nearly as bad as being reported, assuming it's accurate 

In context, the statement is dulled because it relates to trades that slaves learned while being slaves. However reading the curriculum, there doesn’t seem to be any education on the negative consequences so slavery just the “harsh conditions” which only lists “undernourishment, rigorous labor, disease” 

No rape, torture, humiliation, families ripped apart, lack of compensation, your kids sold, how plantation owners built generational wealth off free labor, etc. maybe that was implied 

• Rage+1 2

I was just struck by the fact that 150 years ago Radical Republicans were the ones trying to complete the task of removing slavery and all of its vestiges from our country, while now Radical Republicans are the ones trying to whitewash and downplay slavery.  Any time the Republican party uses the "Party of Lincoln" label,they should spontaneously burst into flames.  They couldn't be any more the opposite of what they were.

• Hook 'Em 4