It's been 20 years since.... (y'all millennials want to feel af?)

Celery Man

Man, I didn't even admit to liking this shows until after it ended, but it seeped into my life. So many people I knew who modeled their whole identities after Seth or Summer. I actually rewatched the series when we had the newborn and there were a lot of nights mindlessly waiting for the next feeding - I'll admit that I actually do like it, despite it just being a soap opera and often a pretty garbage show. But whole vibe, the music - it actually feels like it was meaningful to in pop culture that there was this network show with Modest Mouse, Death Cab, Sufjan, Rooney, the fucking Killers before they were quite The Killers. 

I saw Sepinwall post a thing about it being 20 years ago last night - apparently he has an Oral History of The OC book coming out. The past 5 years (as I am solidly into my late 30s) has really made me appreciate how no longer young I am, and this show being 20 years old is another ring of that bell.

• Hook 'Em 2

I remember 90210 being a thing, but I was little. I think yes, though. Soap opera for teenagers that becomes a distillation, a reference point, and a driver for everything about being that generation at that time. I wish Sepinwall had something not behind a paywall because I'd like to read his words about it.

It's funny, I have The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay somewhere on my bookshelf, and on that rewatch I saw it in Seth's bedroom and I think he talks about it explicitly. And while I didn't even know it was referred to in the show I am absolutely certain that that is why I eventually bought and read that book.

This most millennial of SNL sketches is an entire OC reference

• Haha 3

when they shot "Band Slam" in Austin, my band spent a fair amount of time hanging out with the "band" from the movie (minus Vanessa Hudgens :( ) and Ryan Donowho was highly annoyed that all we wanted to talk about was him being the public school surfer bro in season 3.

I will confess to finding Samaire Armstrong rather captivating.....

10d5aa57c361c63565b3dcc085f618c9.jpg

Of course, she turned out to be kind of a braindead POS, but hey....actors, wadda ya gonna do?

I actually recall the music being worth tuning in for.  First time I heard the Killers, Modest Mouse, and Rooney, IIRC.

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Going back and watching episodes of 90210 is a bad idea. What I remembered being good(ish) at the time was like seeing the television equivalent of Vanilla Ice or early 90s Zubaz pants.  What were we thinking?  I think Saved By The Bell was better quality, and 90210 was actually taking itself seriously.

I never saw much of the OC, but I have to think the OC probably aged better than that.  

I promise you it did not 

14 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I remember 90210 being a thing, but I was little. I think yes, though. Soap opera for teenagers that becomes a distillation, a reference point, and a driver for everything about being that generation at that time. I wish Sepinwall had something not behind a paywall because I'd like to read his words about it.

It's funny, I have The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay somewhere on my bookshelf, and on that rewatch I saw it in Seth's bedroom and I think he talks about it explicitly. And while I didn't even know it was referred to in the show I am absolutely certain that that is why I eventually bought and read that book.

This most millennial of SNL sketches is an entire OC reference

What an snl cast. 

I know this is referencing the oc but I never watched that show, is there a clip of the original scene? 

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Going back and watching episodes of 90210 is a bad idea.

Haven't done that in a while, but when I was in law school (1996-99) I binged watched the hell out of old 90210 episodes on the weekends when there would be something like 4 episodes in a row on USA or one of those networks.  It was a perfect mindless and nostalgic break from pouring over case law.

• Hook 'Em 1

Season 3 and 4 are pretty bad but 1 and to a lesser extent 2 are fairly solid for this kind of show. There’s a fair amount of bad writing but the main characters minus Mischa Barton I think are at least fairly interesting, again for the genre.

left out “old” for “old af” in the title, I r dum

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Haven't done that in a while, but when I was in law school (1996-99) I binged watched the hell out of old 90210 episodes on the weekends when there would be something like 4 episodes in a row on USA or one of those networks.  It was a perfect mindless and nostalgic break from pouring over case law.

When I was studying for the bar and my brain would get full, I would watch “Cops” and work on criminal law/crim procedure. 

56 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I haven’t seen it since college but I think they also showcased Wilco, and The Walkmen 

I think The Walkmen "performed" at the bait shop, I don't think that Wilco ever did but for sure some songs were used and they were referenced.

Just remembered that Seth had an Atom and His Package poster in his bedroom.

Our daughter has a stuffed horse named Mr. Pickles which is almost certainly a subconscious reference to Captain Oats.

• Hook 'Em 1