Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Stanford or NCST. But ISU against Stanford is intriguing 

Stanford's side of the bracket is probably the most interesting out of the entire bracket. Tennessee was playing much better to end the season. 

Stanford, NC State, Tennessee, and Iowa State is juicy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of “Texas has an easy bracket” takes online. NCST has been slumping hard, Gonzaga lost in their conf finals and Stanford isn’t elite this year. 

Also 7 Big 12 teams. #2 NET conference got some respect. Along with 2 top 4 seeds among those 7

• Hook 'Em 1

The committee heavily emphasized “what have you done for me lately” since 3/4 of the 1 seeds weren’t even 1 seeds in their Feb 29 reveal. That was SC, Ohio State, UCLA, Stanford. 

3 of those got knocked to the 2 seed line. Texas, USC and Iowa elevated from 2 to 1. 

• Hook 'Em 4

From ESPN:

Women's March Madness bracket winners, losers, next steps

Texas Longhorns

The Big 12 tournament champion earned its first No. 1 seed since 2004. The Longhorns, like fellow No. 1 seed Iowa, didn't win their conference regular-season title but did win the league tournament.

After losing star guard Rori Harmon for the season in late December to a knee injury, Texas had to navigate Big 12 play without her. They lost to Baylor, Kansas State and regular-season champ Oklahoma twice. In the Big 12 tournament, the Longhorns beat Kansas, K-State and Iowa State, with freshman Madison Booker winning MVP honors.

Texas has made the Elite Eight twice since Vic Schaefer took over as coach in 2020-21. He said after the Big 12 final that he thought the Longhorns had proven they deserved a No. 1 seed. The committee agreed.

"When you win a championship in a league, you play the schedule these kids have played, I don't know what else we could do," Schaefer said. "I feel really confident in this team. They've done nothing but show me that they can do it.

ESPN mentions that Texas and USC both had long streaks of not being a 1 seed (2004 for Texas, 1986 for USC) snapped this season, so it feels right that Stanford, who has been a #1 seed for 3 straight seasons, got knocked down to a #2 in favor of 2 conference tournament champs. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Drexel has two players over 6 feet (6’2 and 6’0) which probably means we will have to guard the perimeter a lot. Bigs should feast inside. Expecting a big game for Jones/Gaston/Moore and should be able to get our backups most of the 4th quarter I hope 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Drexel has two players over 6 feet (6’2 and 6’0) which probably means we will have to guard the perimeter a lot. Bigs should feast inside. Expecting a big game for Jones/Gaston/Moore and should be able to get our backups most of the 4th quarter I hope 

Oh yeah Jones should be the leading scorer in this game. When we played smaller teams in non-con, Jones feasted in the paint. Not much will be asked of our guards in this opening round other than get the ball up the floor and find the post player 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Booker may feast, as well. She should be able to get the basket and score/hit the jumper over her shooter defenders at will.

Drexel was the 7-seed in the CAA tournament and had to win it to make the dance. Beat the 2, 6, and 1 seeds by a total of 11 points. On one hand, they're playing good basketball lately, but on the other hand, they're not good.

As you said, Texas should win - convincingly.

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Booker may feast, as well. She should be able to get the basket and score/hit the jumper over her shooter defenders at will.

Drexel was the 7-seed in the CAA tournament and had to win it to make the dance. Beat the 2, 6, and 1 seeds by a total of 11 points. On one hand, they're playing good basketball lately, but on the other hand, they're not good.

As you said, Texas should win - convincingly.

I don't worry about Vic in the first round at all. We are really good at home (2 losses to Baylor and OU) and I feel like every year, we get the "oh man this mid-major team is playing great ball and Texas should watch out"

2021 - beat Bradley by 19
2022 - beat Fairfield by 22
2023 - beat ECU by 39

This 2024 team is better than those other team's, by a lot.  Even without Rori.  Even that flawed 2023 team destroyed ECU. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don't worry about Vic in the first round at all. We are really good at home (2 losses to Baylor and OU) and I feel like every year, we get the "oh man this mid-major team is playing great ball and Texas should watch out"

2023 - beat ECU by 39

This 2024 team is better than those other team's, by a lot.  Even without Rori.  Even that flawed 2023 team destroyed ECU. 

100%. This should be a 20+ point win.

Edited by MuellerHorn

I want to look ahead a little to Alabama and FSU

• Alabama - 8 seed - 23-9 overall (10-6 SEC)
    • They do have a win over Louisville back in November 78-73 (neutral site)
    • Lost by 10 to Gonzaga 78-68 (neutral site)
    • Lost by 6 to Syracuse 79-73 on the road
    • SEC losses:
      • By 10 to Ole Miss at home
      • By 18 to Arkansas at home (woof, that's bad)
      • By 20 to LSU at home
      • By 13 to Auburn on the road
      • By 19 to LSU on the road
      • By 28 to SC on the road
      • By 22 to Tenn in the SEC tournament (one and done)
    • Lost a double digit scorer 5'8 G Jessica Timmons (11.2 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.3 apg, 1.0 spg) to a knee injury sustained in the SECT
    • Average 73.5 ppg, give up 61.8 ppg
    • 35% 3PFG% as a team
    • 70.9 FT% as a team
    • Only win the rebound margin by 3.0 - that is going to be difficult for them based on how we rebound
    • Usually play Essence Cody the most in the post - 6'4 freshman, and she gets spelled by 6'4 JeAnna Cunningham (SR) and 6'3 Meg Newman (SO)
    • Two good 3 point shooters - Nye (42.6%) and Barker (36%)
  • Florida State - 9 seed - 23-10 (12-6 ACC)
    • 1 point win over Tenn in November 82-81 at home
    • 12 point loss to Stanford 100-88 in Nevada
    • 13 point loss to Arkansas at home (woof)
    • 17 point loss to UCLA in Connecticut
    • ACC losses:
      • 8 point OT loss to NC State on the road
      • 6 point loss to Syracuse on the road
      • 4 point loss to UVA at home (woof, that is bad)
      • 42 loss to Duke on the road
      • 4 point 2OT loss to ND at home
      • 15 point loss to Louisville on the road
      • 26 point loss to NC State in the ACCT semifinals
    • 78.7 ppg scored, but allow 71.2 ppg
    • 31.3 3PFG% as a team
    • 77.1 FT% as a team
    • They actually lose the rebound margin by -3.0
    • They are small - Makayla Timson at 6'2 is their main post player
    • They really rely hard on 5'8 G Ta'Niya Latson, who averages 21.3 ppg
    • Mariah O'Gordon is their 3 point shooter - 38.5%.  She's also 5'4

I'm probably slightly more worried about Alabama, because FSU's lack of size would be a big problem against Texas.  They don't rebound well and don't have big bodies to throw at Jones/Faye/Gaston.  But also Alabama is coached by former Tech coach Kristy Curry, so eh

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

2023 - beat ECU by 39

*teams

And, agreed.

46 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

*teams

And, agreed.

Autocorrect

Texas’ defense and ability to score close to the bucket and with Booker’s midrange is why we are so dangerous. If Texas hits 3-4 threes, we are almost unbeatable. Between Booker, Shaylee and Shay, that last part is doable.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Autocorrect

Texas’ defense and ability to score close to the bucket and with Booker’s midrange is why we are so dangerous. If Texas hits 3-4 threes, we are almost unbeatable. Between Booker, Shaylee and Shay, that last part is doable.

From what I have seem of the team, their biggest problems are taking care of the ball and occasionally going ice cold shooting.

I think the FF is doable.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

lol who do they have over Booker?

Booker doesn't get half the hype of Hidalgo or Fulwiley or JuJu.  She plays like it pisses her off. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 7:00 PM, TrashMaster G said:

From what I have seem of the team, their biggest problems are taking care of the ball and occasionally going ice cold shooting.

I think the FF is doable.

Foul trouble is always lurking as well, especially for Jones. She can be dominant against smaller teams but has to be super careful when the physical matchup is less in her favor. She can't play enough minutes to score in double figures if she's getting called for much under the basket. But if she can just maintain this year's average of 12 points, 6 boards and 2 blocks a game, that will provide a huge boost in the playoffs.

58 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Foul trouble is always lurking as well, especially for Jones. She can be dominant against smaller teams but has to be super careful when the physical matchup is less in her favor. She can't play enough minutes to score in double figures if she's getting called for much under the basket. But if she can just maintain this year's average of 12 points, 6 boards and 2 blocks a game, that will provide a huge boost in the playoffs.

Yeah, Jones can get into foul trouble, which is one reason why I like her more against FSU than Bama, because FSU doesn't have a lot of bigs.  But we have so much post depth - Gaston was a fucking champ in the way she guarded Lee.  I also don't think Jones had a single foul in 24 minutes against Crooks. 

NCST has a 6'5 center (River Baldwin) and can also play 6'2 Maddie Cox and 6'3 Mimi Collins
Utah has 6'2 Alyssa Pili who is hard to defend
Stanford, of course, has Brink

And I did not realize Izzy Palmer plays at Utah (2019-2020 at Texas)

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The other thing to remember is Booker was playing the 4 before Harmon was injured. So it does make some sense to add another guard. Maybe move Booker back to the 3 or 4. 

Booker is a wing and can play the 3 or 4 once Rori is back. Harmon-Scott-Booker-Moore-Jones is a legit lineup and you have so many options with Gaston, Carlton, Lee, Holle, Preston, Maul off the bench and then Booker able to play all over and also run point 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 10:28 PM, Js1 said:

Booker is a wing and can play the 3 or 4 once Rori is back. Harmon-Scott-Booker-Moore-Jones is a legit lineup and you have so many options with Gaston, Carlton, Lee, Holle, Preston, Maul off the bench and then Booker able to play all over and also run point 

Were Scott to transfer here, would she be eligible to play next season? I don't know if the SEC's sit-a-year rule for in-conference transfers goes beyond football, but I assume so. Anyway, moot for the moment. 

9 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Were Scott to transfer here, would she be eligible to play next season? I don't know if the SEC's sit-a-year rule for in-conference transfers goes beyond football, but I assume so. Anyway, moot for the moment. 

I haven’t seen whether it applies to all sports or just football