Tell me about your truck brand

Slacks

So... I need to buy a used truck (because I'm a poor). 

I had a GM Sierra get stolen and I have a 20 year old Avalanche that is no longer reliable. 

I don't tow. I just load up stuff and move it around from time to time. 4x4 is primarily to get out of the sand a couple times a year at Matagorda (sounds crazy, but that's the real). 

The inside of the truck is where I sit, so I want a nice cabin: Android Auto, Leather, ventilated seats, 4x4, preferably push button start (because why do I need keys and a fob after 2013?)

Everyone has the same stuff, so which truck is the most reliable, best value, and nice cabin (ceteris parabus)? 

Sell me on Chevy, Ford, GMC, Ram, Toyota. 

What I think:

Ram has the better interior, but reliability is low. 

GMC has the best mix of interior and reliability. 

Toyota is most reliable and most expensive. 

Chevy has cheap interior. 

Ford I don't know enough about, but seems to have best used prices (supply and demand) and decent cabin. 

I'm not beholden to any brand. 

I have a 2013 small truck and I love it because it doesn't have all the touchscreen and fancy stuff.

I also like that because it's not "nice" I don't have to worry about dings, scratches, dirty shoes, and just throwing stuff in. Dislikes are that it has a rough ride, wide turning radius, and mileage could always be better. 

Sometimes I think about getting something else simply because something new would be nice, but I don't think I like newer autos. Especially when I read about how they harvest all your data to sell. 

I have a 2020 GMC Sierra.  Inside is nice but the screen is tiny compared to the current Ram and Ford.  4x4 is good, I've towed a few times but it's not my main use case.  I like the pro tailgate or whatever they call it for carrying oversize stuff in the bed.  The interior materials are good but not awesome, I'd put Ram, Ford, and Toyota ahead.  Haven't had any reliability issues with it yet.  It's a shade too big but all the full sized trucks are like that now.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think there’s much difference in interior between gmc and Chevy, seeing as it’s all the same parts. Maybe a materials upgrade in places. 

Only had fords, like their interiors- last one was 2017 f250. Got lariat package for power fold mirrors (a nice to have or must have option really) but that had heated and cooled front seats and android/apple car. 

toyota likes to knob their trucks out like the drivers will be keeping their work gloves on- or have in the past. 

I drive a 2019 Chevy Colorado with crew cab and short bed. 2WD, smaller engine for fuel economy of 23/24mph. I have 162k miles on it.

Did have to replace the rear end last year.  It has been a good work/ utility truck, and that's exactly why i bought it.

I'm not really a brand loyal guy on vehicles.  I've had a 1999 Ford Ranger before that I freaking loved.  I just want them to last, and so far, so good with the 2 trucks in my life.

Edited by slorch

I have a 2017 Tundra TRD Pro. 80k miles and only had to replace battery and I think the brakes. The infotainment system is trash, but the navigation is decent. Other than the infotainment, I love the truck. Oh, no center seats on the TRD Pro. I think the platinum trim has that.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I have a 2017 Tundra TRD Pro. 80k miles and only had to replace battery and I think the brakes. The infotainment system is trash, but the navigation is decent. Other than the infotainment, I love the truck. Oh, no center seats on the TRD Pro. I think the platinum trim has that.

Does the 2017 have the front tire scrubbing problem?   Asking for my 2013 Crewmax

16 hours ago, Slacks said:

Toyota is most reliable and most expensive. 

And best resale.  If you're looking for an older Tundra, be sure to check:

• the frame, rust belt trucks have real issues.
  • Valve tap on start up..  4.7L 
  • Front tires scrubbing (no way to avoid, just factor it in negotiation)
  • Fuel mileage is abysmal

Toyotas are also boring in the best possible ways

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I have bigger tires (295’s?) and I have run if I crank the wheel all the way and am on a hill - basically it’s not noticeable.

I meant tire wear on the outside fronts... it's a really common thing

https://www.tundrasolutions.com/threads/alighnment-problem-anyone-have-the-outside-edges-of-their-front-tires-wear-quickly.124533/

I feel like we're living parallel lives.  Our 2016 Silverado was stolen, and we have a 20 year old suburban that is no longer reliable. 

With an admitted GM bias, we looked at Ford, Dodge, GMC, and Chevy when looking for a replacement.  Ended up with another Chevy anyway - a Silverado High Country with the 3.0 babymax.  We felt the interior was on the same level as the other higher-end options, and the new entertainment screen is much larger than the previous gen.  Babymax is like 400hp/500lbft and still gets 30mpg on the highway.  No complaints at all - though we're only 8k miles in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

When I bought my Tundra in 21,  it was probably 10K cheaper than comparable Chevy or Fords.  Didn't consider Ram because I was moving on from a problematic Ram.

As mentioned above, mileage is worse, interior is probably comparable to the 10 year older Ram.   Haven't had any mechanical issues thus far, had problems from year 1 with the Ram.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have a 2010 Tacoma- crew cab 4wd. Interior is pretty basic, so I'd pass if that's a big factor (sounds like it is for you). Otherwise it has been a fantastic and reliable truck. I only drive ~1k miles a year so interior features don't matter much for me, and I enjoy not giving a shit about dings, scrapes, etc. 

Edited by KaiserSoze

3 hours ago, Slacks said:

It looks like I'm down to:

2021 Tundra with 37k miles ($39k)

2019 F150 Limited with 75k miles ($37k)

(Utility vs Nice & Fast)

If not otherwise available,  may want to run a Carfax or Clearvin.    Slightly high mileage on the F150 (perhaps not for truck).   Does the Limited have the 450HP engine ?  If so, alot of engine for your need.    If the Tundra meets your interior need,  may be the better choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve got a GM bias but probably going to open up the competition next time. No real reason, but I’m over a million mostly trouble free miles in GMs over last 20 years now.  Hope I don’t regret it.  

Whats pissing me off the most right now is needing a $5k+ CP4 upgrade and $1500 in death wobble fix on the Fords right after writing an 80k check for one.   Seems, not great. But don’t really like GM latest iteration and I’m not sold on a Dodge at those $$$.   So hoping to squeeze a few more years out of current ride, then see what’s changed.

Of those I’d be in a GMC with 6.2 or the Ford (assuming you are 1/2ton shopping). We’ve put almost 400k on 6.2’s with no real issues - good strong motors.  

8 hours ago, Slacks said:

It looks like I'm down to:

2021 Tundra with 37k miles ($39k)

2019 F150 Limited with 75k miles ($37k)

(Utility vs Nice & Fast)

I’ve had many trucks, currently in a Danali 2500., but the best truck I’ve had was a F150 King Ranch, with the V8. Best ride, most comfortable, I damn miss that truck.

tundras are hell on gas, it’s unreal actually how shitty the gas milage you get 

Edited by tx 3 putt

When I hear Ford and GM truck owners talk about trouble free ownership, it surprises me given the poor quality ratings from various publications.

My theory is that for the most part the designs are solid, but two things cause more quality issues than Japanese trucks: weaker manufacturing quality processes that allow more defects to reach the customer, and more rugged use out in the field by Ford and GM owners vs Toyota owners. For example, I see more GM’s and Fords out at farms than Toyotas, and farms are harsh environments. 

• Like 1

Ended up in a Tundra 1794 (higher mileage).

Looked at to F150 Limited and they both had Cam Phaser rattle, so I knew I was looking at another $3500 and the dealers didn't want to negotiate it out.

And yes, I've already noticed the Tundra mileage is going to be shitty, but I don't commute every day, so it's not a concern.

Trucks are expensive as fuck.

I told the dealership they need to send my neighbors a Thank You card. I walk out of my house and see 4 Tundras and a Sequoia every day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

When I hear Ford and GM truck owners talk about trouble free ownership, it surprises me given the poor quality ratings from various publications.

How you take care of a vehicle goes a long way, with any brand.  It’s pretty hard (imo) to get a bad one from any of the big 3 + Toyota these days. I don’t know enough about Nissan to comment. Toyota makes a really good truck. I believe about 20% of what their owners say on the the forums because I’m convinced many would actually fuck their truck if possible. 

• Like 1