Third & PK

Nueces River Rat

I thought we had this shit fixed this year after the first two seasons of PK’s tenure and the seasons before that of Third & Orlando.  Then in the last two weeks it rears it’s ugly head and we are back at accepting the fact we are going to get fucked on third down. 

Why are we the only college defense in the country that gets burned on the same crossing patterns and make fricken walk on WR’s look like All Americans like one the Cougar High guys yesterday ?   Are they pumping up these guys with Estrogen and losing their nut sacks?   Are we not smart?   

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

it’s so frustrating.  why?  why does this keep happening? 

as op said, first was orlando and now this.

we should have kept ash.. 

Yes, Ash would like to empty the middle of the field and allow the QB to run up the gut for 200 yards. The reason it works is because our safeties and LBs absolutely fucking suck in man or zone coverage. We must run the most complicated defense in college football or every one of the DBs we took in year one is just fucking horrible because Taafe is a fucking joke as a P5 safety.

More games played means more film for opposing teams. We looked stingy as fuck to start off the season. 

Ford is playing and looking like what happened to the basketball players in the movie Space Jam when the aliens stole their talent. 

Taafe is a liability against teams that can spread the field. Ditto for Gbenda, amongst his many other issues. 

We really, really miss Watts. 

Thompson is slow but overall a decent safety. 

We'll take some lumps but Hill and Williams need to be starters. Now. 

Holmes must've been a practice warrior for all the preseason hype he got. Muhammed needs to take all of his reps. 

Crawford should only be a gunner. He has the awareness and focus of an 8 year old with ADHD. 

Rotating the DL to stay fresh makes a lot sense. LBs and DBs (and the pairing with which they're playing)? Not so much. 

I don't know how to do it, or if it can be done, but something has to be done about all the holding on DL. "But but but there's holding on every play and you can't expect them to call it everytime!" Yeah, but can we at least get the egregious one's called? "Complaining about the refs is so aggy!" Well, stop complaining about the lack of pressure and pass rush. It is there...

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I thought we had this shit fixed this year after the first two seasons of PK’s tenure and the seasons before that of Third & Orlando.  Then in the last two weeks it rears it’s ugly head and we are back at accepting the fact we are going to get fucked on third down. 

Why are we the only college defense in the country that gets burned on the same crossing patterns and make fricken walk on WR’s look like All Americans like one the Cougar High guys yesterday ?   Are they pumping up these guys with Estrogen and losing their nut sacks?   Are we not smart?   

Do you watch any other games or look at any stats? There’s probably a percentage of each team’s fan base who think exactly like you. “Why are we the only…”

• Hook 'Em 1

My only complaint is the situational alignments...

3rd and 3 and our DB's are 8-10 yards off....makes no sense.

I recall having these complaints in year 1 as well...

Well I guess I have a second complaint and that seems to only be bringing blitzes from the edges instead of attack the middle.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 2

It comes down primarily to safeties and linebackers. There is a lack of speed/coverage ability and at times very bad communication. We've been much better this year overall, but injuries and Ford's unexpected mid season regression (there must be something going on here) have taken a toll. 

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Our 3rd down defense is ranked…..7th in the country at 28.7%. And if you want to throw out non con and just look at Big 12 play, it goes down to 26.4%.

This is not the right stat.  3rd and PK applies to 3rd and long - passing situations.  On 3rd and short teams are often dumb enough to try to run it, which probably makes the stat you quoted look good.  

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not but it’s 7 games in at this point. The sample size is large enough with the good and bad.

It was sarcastic.

I’m a little amazed at the over the top reactions. Defense is banged up. The biggest, consistent difference maker sat out half 1. The opposing Oline holds their asses off. We’re not yet Georgia/Bama talent.

We get beat with different stuff. The offense has a chance to finish off opponents but doesn’t. OU has a solid offense. Houston has some good parts. It’s not like the O didn’t turn it over 3 times and special teams give them another possession. And oh yeah, they probably spent more time preparing than typical.

• 2 weeks later...