Random Tesla Killed My Mini

beer

...while it was parked in front of my house.

And yada yada their insurance isn't doing the right things. Still no rent car, won't discuss diminished value, etc. If I call my insurance company it's bad. If I call a lawyer they take a third and it's worse. What's the modern approach? I feel like I'm getting lubed up for touching in my no no place. 

Edited by beer

3 hours ago, beer said:

And yada yada their insurance isn't doing the right things. Still no rent car, won't discuss diminished value, etc. If I call my insurance company it's bad. If I call a lawyer they take a third and it's worse. What's the modern approach? I feel like I'm getting lubed up for touching in my no no place. 

We park on the street a lot because our house is on a hill, we have kids who drive, our garage has too much shit in it, and our garage is too small in that the builder didn't account for lost space due to the hill.

So a neighbor down the street pulled out of our next door neighbor's driveway and hit our car parked across the street. They admitted to the accident and asked me to not say that her son was driving because he had a learners permit and it would mess him over. I called my insurance company and filed a claim without placing blame on the student driver. She wouldn't take the insurance company's calls and her insurance company declined to pay. I had multiple texts where she admitted fault and where she said her son was driving. Still, her insurance company refused to pay. So, the case then went to some sort of arbitrator between insurance companies, and the arbitrator found in favor of us and her insurance company was forced to pay.

It was a pain in the ass. I will never again help someone by not disclosing every bit of information that I know. Until the end, it seemed like I was going to have to go to court (small claims in this case), And fuck insurance companies except for mine (USAA).

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

We park on the street a lot because our house is on a hill, we have kids who drive, our garage has too much shit in it, and our garage is too small in that the builder didn't account for lost space due to the hill.

So a neighbor down the street pulled out of our next door neighbor's driveway and hit our car parked across the street. They admitted to the accident and asked me to not say that her son was driving because he had a learners permit and it would mess him over. I called my insurance company and filed a claim without placing blame on the student driver. She wouldn't take the insurance company's calls and her insurance company declined to pay. I had multiple texts where she admitted fault and where she said her son was driving. Still, her insurance company refused to pay. So, the case then went to some sort of arbitrator between insurance companies, and the arbitrator found in favor of us and her insurance company was forced to pay.

It was a pain in the ass. I will never again help someone by not disclosing every bit of information that I know. Until the end, it seemed like I was going to have to go to court (small claims in this case), And fuck insurance companies except for mine (USAA).

this is probably your easiest solution. Let the insurance companies handle it between themselves, that's what you are paying yours for. 

• Hook 'Em 6

5 hours ago, beer said:

Yea, I was hoping to not involve them since NOBODY can argue this was my fault since I'm STILL in Spain handling this remote...but I suppose they will touch me harder if insurance lawyers aren't chewing on each other like rawhide.

Nobody could say I was at fault either. We were eating dinner as a family when it happened. Their insurance still refused to pay. I sent texts to my insurance company where she admitted her son was at fault and still they refused to pay.

On 11/16/2023 at 2:39 AM, beer said:

On 11/16/2023 at 2:52 PM, beer said:

Yea, I was hoping to not involve them since NOBODY can argue this was my fault since I'm STILL in Spain handling this remote...but I suppose they will touch me harder if insurance lawyers aren't chewing on each other like rawhide.

Are they agreeing to fix your car at the body shop of your choice? As far as a rental car, you’re mentioning that you’re in Spain, do you need a rental car back at home right now? I’ve never not has the liability side not pay the measly $20-30 per day for a rental.

as for diminished value I’ve only argued that successfully once because the car still had over >40K value and I spent time building up the facts that it lost a couple thousand due to the now bad carfax report. I ultimatley got $1000-1500. It was probably 5 phone calls and at least 10 voicemails with the insurance company. They wear you out and admittedly I wouldn’t try it now with my current vehicle worth about 20k.

Doesn’t your insurance company eventually learn about the wreck anyway?

It's my wife's daily driver and she is back home. Been a week and their policy is no rental until they have investigated. It's a 2016 with only 26k miles and is set up as our RV tow vehicle. The left rear was crushed. I guess I've always heard of people not calling their own insurance company and thought I could get away with it. 

I mean you probably could if their insurance weren't being dicks about it or you have time and expertise to put into small claims court against a multi-million dollar corporation, but I'm guessing you probably don't and that's why letting your insurance handle it is probably easier. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

Don't be surprised if they drag this out for years. I had a claim lasting a year and a half because the guy I hit was submitting medical bills that ended up being his routine check ups. I wonder if I still have the video of that accident so yall can see what a $60,000 claim looks like....

Being 5000 miles away makes shenanigans on my part difficult but if they give the wife s rent car and dont bitch about the repair bill I guess I'll let it slide but I'm guessing imma have to call my insurance Thursday when I get back. 

Edited by beer

Diminished value the easiest way to fight is hire an independent appraiser who will send a market analysis. Example, Collision Damage Consultants, rates are on their site. Almost always gets you more than their fee. No affiliation and no firsthand experience, just seen their testimonials a lot.

On 11/16/2023 at 2:39 AM, beer said:

Who is the carrier for the Tesla driver? Continue trying to run this through the other driver’s insurance and leave yours out until it’s absolutely necessary to let them know/involve them. At some point, you might have to call your carrier and tell them what happened, though. They will approach the other carrier and usually figure this shit out that way. In the meantime, you can get your car fixed, get a car rented and at most be out your deductible. Your carrier will likely get that back through subrogation.

Again, kids, the rule is never, never, never, never, ever involve your carrier UNLESS it’s necessary. (Oh, and good luck on diminished value. You can ask for it. Doubt you will get it.)

On 11/16/2023 at 6:10 AM, Bevo said:

There are many, many shit-tastic insurance companies. There are some fabulous ones too. High net worth carriers like Chubb, PURE, Berkeley One, Cincinnati and AIG (or whatever they’re renaming themselves as) are worth their weight in gold when the proverbial shit hits the fan. Not everybody qualifies for them, though. If you do, they are 100% worth the additional cost every day of the week and twice on Sunday.