2024 Texas High School Football

Great Grandparents had a farm/family burial plot just outside of Lohn. I remember as a kid how run down and the town is not much more than a couple streets and a school, and I was amazed at the idea of kids actually going to school there. I went through there last spring and the houses were pretty well kept but just an empty, empty place

• 1 month later...

How do high school football programs attract and compensate "elite" football coaches?  Do the boosters just pay the coach a bonus?  I understand that it's attractive to have a nice stadium and facilities, but school districts are kinda broke right now.  Do they just make football a priority and fire a science teacher so that they can pay the coach more?

Looking at Lovejoy's website, they have all kinds of stuff about budget woes, needing to charge students for bus transportation, charging out of district transfers tuition, having a tax-rate election to access copper pennies (basically taxing yourself more when you know that some of the tax is going to go back to the state).  They have maxed out their bond debt at 50 cents by building facilities.

They are a wealthy district but a small school and they don't seem to be in the financial position to go for an elite coach.

Edited by Texas Jeff

2 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

How do high school football programs attract and compensate "elite" football coaches?  Do the boosters just pay the coach a bonus?  I understand that it's attractive to have a nice stadium and facilities, but school districts are kinda broke right now.  Do they just make football a priority and fire a science teacher so that they can pay the coach more?

Looking at Lovejoy's website, they have all kinds of stuff about budget woes, needing to charge students for bus transportation, charging out of district transfers tuition, having a tax-rate election to access copper pennies (basically taxing yourself more when you know that some of the tax is going to go back to the state).  They have maxed out their bond debt at 50 cents by building facilities.

They are a wealthy district but a small school and they don't seem to be in the financial position to go for an elite coach.

This could be an entirely different discussion. With Dodge, this was the plan all along.  Sit out 1-2 years so that his TRS would kick in.  Then because he was out for more than 1 year, he continues to get TRS and whatever LL pays him so, he double dips.

As for how they compensate.  Anything approved by the school board is public.  However, it is usually relatively easy to have a booster in a school district that has close ties in some way, shape, or form to a car dealership.  Coach gets a lease-free car to drive around every X-thousand miles and then repeats that again and again.  That is not part of the school district’s compensation package.  That, in and of itself, is fairly substantial.  That is the main effort to compensate that I am aware of off the top of my head.

• Hook 'Em 1

Cool story about Nash Pils, a Franklin (Texas) High School 17-year-old junior with Down syndrome

Screenshot_20240129-233231_kindlephoto-7692245.png.c67ca6a4312e1f0010b1b35a55b7c69c.png

https://www.espn.in/espn/story/_/id/39400720/texas-high-school-student-nash-pils-documents-franklin-journey-state-football-championship

"High School Football Pageantry"

image.png.7a07dc87928fdfb5f89daf9734402e12.png

"Give it your Best"

image.png.c1d23ff379b10533f41be6cf48c1e876.png

image.png.ec133ff32a25ad23be159e7f435bad85.png

"What a Game"

image.png.3cb5bdcec2359d7bc963367744f453f4.png

image.png.35b305c40e805fd7fac15a9c51d3bfe2.png

"Agony and Love"

image.png.316f79cdcc9127d22fce10f2940fa1b2.png

image.png

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 6

On 12/19/2023 at 10:38 AM, cmontexas said:

Great Grandparents had a farm/family burial plot just outside of Lohn. I remember as a kid how run down and the town is not much more than a couple streets and a school, and I was amazed at the idea of kids actually going to school there. I went through there last spring and the houses were pretty well kept but just an empty, empty place

At least they had the sense to put the football field right by the cemetary:

image.png.7110d7a77738f254d2d6857a18a51464.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Realignment day today. Desoto has actually appealed the UIL to let them compete in 6A despite their 5A enrollment. I wonder what their average margin of victory would’ve been against 5A comp. 

That's not an appeal.  That's an Opt Up.

Damn, lower valley 6A is just a 5 team district. Don’t know how we’re gonna find 6 non district games. Will probably be 9 game seasons for everyone which sucks. 

SA MacArthur is going to absolutely get their faces fucked off in 5A D1 district 13. 

All the SAISD schools got thrown into 5A D2 region 3. Might be the first time ever. 

seeing multiple 9 team districts including Conroe ISD/ Willis/ Cleveland.  Even more so than normal, it's going to pay to have Senior heavy teams in those leagues.

Edited by slorch

Realignment show with Craig Way didn’t even mention Aledo in 5AD1. Pretty much all about Highland Park in the division.

Should be a great Semi Final if they both can make it. Wouldn’t be surprised if region 1 final is two schools from district 3.

5anew.png

Smithson Valley back to Region 4.  They'll win that every year. 

image.thumb.png.f4bd87cf4ea547cf70700f57629d69c8.png

Holy shit, PNG to R2 with SOC!   That District 13 looks fun.  Fucking hell, look at district 4!

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

4ad1nw.png

Wow, D13 is dogshit.  Decatur now R2 and S'ville now R1.

4ad2new.png

Cuero back to R4 thankfully.  Driving between Wimberley and Salado for a Friday night game should be about a 5-hour trip.  I really hope that "Harmony School of Innovation" runs the Slot-T.

• Hook 'Em 1

With DeSoto opting up, the district of doom gets even harder as it now adds Lancaster who moved up to 6A.

It’s now Duncanville, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Waxahachie, Skyline, Lancaster, Mesquite, and Mesquite Horn.

Poor MISD.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Realignment day today. Desoto has actually appealed the UIL to let them compete in 6A despite their 5A enrollment.

And Aledo fans everywhere breathed a sigh of relief.

• Hook 'Em 1

I see that Lufkin is in a district with Joshua, Highland Park and Burleson?!! Two of those are 205 miles away one-way and HP is close to 185 miles one-way. 

That’s cute. Abilene has made 180 miles to Odessa for decades now and now will go 170 to Lubbock and 270 to Amarillo.
  • Hook 'Em 1

They should’ve forced Desoto to stay in 5A. Opting up out of travel cost concerns is a valid reason, opting up because you want better competition (to better sell yourself to recruits, let’s be real) is not. 

Edited by Helobious

58 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

That’s cute. Abilene has made 180 miles to Odessa for decades now and now will go 170 to Lubbock and 270 to Amarillo.

But Lufkin has schools within 90 miles to the south they could've been put with. Out west, there are no alternatives. 

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

They should’ve forced Desoto to stay in 5A. Opting up out of travel cost concerns is a valid reason, opting up because you want better competition (to better sell yourself to recruits, let’s be real) is not. 

I mean, which reason do you think they presented to the UIL? Duncanville, Cedar Hill and Lancaster are all right next to DeSoto.

5 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

But Lufkin has schools within 90 miles to the south they could've been put with. Out west, there are no alternatives. 

Lufkin to Burleson or Cleburne on a Friday afternoon is just going to suck ass.  They historically travel well, but they got fucked on this one.