In-ground basketball goal

Elvis

I have been using the portable type goals with the water-filled base over the years.  I park next to it and I have run over the base a couple of times fucking it all up.  

I'm thinking about going in-ground.  My concern is the longevity of the pole that goes into the concrete.  If that thing rusts or breaks, I've got big block of concrete to deal with for a replacement.

Any experience with this?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I don't have any experience with it rusting but I did put in an in-ground hoop and I will take every opportunity to post a picture of it because it rarely gets used so I need to get at least some mileage out of it.

20180912_195856.jpg

That is sweet.

My teenage son wants me to do this but, like it appears it did to yours, it would take up an awful lot of the yard and he's not the only one that lives here and wants to do stuff in the backyard, selfish as teenage sons can be.

To the OP, we also have the water base one and it sucks, and looked into a concrete one. The reason we ultimately did away from it was because of the slight-to-moderate incline of the driveway, but my buddies with kids who went this route recommended the Goalrilla brand that was what I was looking at and would have gone with:

https://www.goalrilla.com/collections/all-hoops

7 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I don't have any experience with it rusting but I did put in an in-ground hoop and I will take every opportunity to post a picture of it because it rarely gets used so I need to get at least some mileage out of it.

20180912_195856.jpg

Damn I wish I had that court when I was a kid. Would have had pickup games all week long.

• Like 1

My neighbor had a basketball goal where the pole slid into a sleeve that was in the concrete.  He could easily remove the goal when his daughter was out of the house.  It worked for her - she went on to play with a full ride in college and then played professionally in Russia*.  YMMV.

*Playing women's professional basketball in Russia is apparently worse than you can even imagine.

My old man put one up back in 1992 and we still drive by the OG house when I make it back to Moore, OK every couple years.  The backboard and goal is weathered to shit but it’s still perfectly upright after God knows how many storms in that region.  Definitely gets a little misty when I go and check that thing out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/23/2023 at 8:26 AM, Jerry Callo said:

My neighbor had a basketball goal where the pole slid into a sleeve that was in the concrete.  He could easily remove the goal when his daughter was out of the house.  It worked for her - she went on to play with a full ride in college and then played professionally in Russia*.  YMMV.

*Playing women's professional basketball in Russia is apparently worse than you can even imagine.

Well I imagine they imprison you for the fuck of it so how much worse could it be?

My old man put one up back in 1992 and we still drive by the OG house when I make it back to Moore, OK every couple years.  The backboard and goal is weathered to shit but it’s still perfectly upright after God knows how many storms in that region.  Definitely gets a little misty when I go and check that thing out.  

We moved to town about 32 years ago. There was a basketball goal in the yard when we got there that was probably 15 years old at the time.

The damn thing is still there.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

We moved to town about 32 years ago. There was a basketball goal in the yard when we got there that was probably 15 years old at the time.

The damn thing is still there.

11 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I drove through Moore, OK last year. Every few miles was a billboard bragging about some bro country guy being born and raised there. That's all they got. That and about 30 Braum's off 35.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I drove through Moore, OK last year. Every few miles was a billboard bragging about some bro country guy being born and raised there. That's all they got. That and about 30 Braum's off 35.

I wasn’t born there but they need a childhood home to chitowndoc sign.  Bastards

Braum’s is pretty good tho.