Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Maybe we will get our shot in 2030?  Certainly by then we should be in a better facility.   I’m surprised it wasn’t discussed in CDC’s speech about facility upgrades unless I missed it when it was discussed. 

White mentioned it in the press conference…saying OU has a new 4500 capacity park that’s packed, and that’s what he wants to see here.

There’s not really space though. That’s the problem. You can’t tear down McCombs bc there is nowhere else to play for a year while they build something new 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I can't stand OU but I've always found Gasso to be pretty respectful. She was very complimentary of our team/pitching. 

Agreed. She’s a great coach and ambassador for the game.

her pc from Saturday night was quite good as well. She talks about rule changes, leaving bases early, reviews, etc. 

• Like 1

Our new pitching coach Patty Ruth deserves a big shoutout. She calls the games now instead of MW and OU mentioned several times how our constant pitching adjustments kept them off balance. This is the best our pitchers have looked since MW has been here. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

White mentioned it in the press conference…saying OU has a new 4500 capacity park that’s packed, and that’s what he wants to see here.

It’s pretty damn sweet.   Probably the best in the nation if the pics do it justice.  Loves Truck Stops gave a substantial donation towards the build.  

IMG_0983.jpeg

IMG_0982.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Js1 said:

There’s not really space though. That’s the problem. You can’t tear down McCombs bc there is nowhere else to play for a year while they build something new 

It would have to be at new location.    Even some short term things like some sort of shade structure would be good thing for the fans.   I’ve gone to the high school State Tourney the last three years  which takes place the last week of May and even for the morning games it can be brutal sitting in the stands with zero shade.   

Edited by Nueces River Rat

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Our new pitching coach Patty Ruth deserves a big shoutout. She calls the games now instead of MW and OU mentioned several times how our constant pitching adjustments kept them off balance. This is the best our pitchers have looked since MW has been here. 

The pitchers mention they get so much 1-on-1 time with PRT compared to before when Mike was splitting time between pitching and head coach. TAKE THE HINT PIERCE

• Hook 'Em 5

14 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Maybe we will get our shot in 2030?  Certainly by then we should be in a better facility.   I’m surprised it wasn’t discussed in CDC’s speech about facility upgrades unless I missed it when it was discussed. 

Texas is hosting the SEC softball tournament in 2033 per the release sheet. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Also of note, we are now #1 in RPI if the update is correct from D1 softball.

Don't think it will update until tomorrow but we probably could be, as we were #2 heading into the series and won 2/3. 

Not sure where we will land in the polls

#1 OU - lost 2/3 to Texas
#2 Duke - won all their games
#3 Georgia - lost 2/3 to Tenn
#4 Tenn - won 2/3 against #3 Georgia
#5 Texas - won 2/3 against #1 OU

Probably will slot Duke, Tennessee, OU, Texas, Georgia or something. 

Posted (edited)

Remaining schedule:

TXST - RPI 13
Baylor - RPI 18
Kansas - RPI 29
Nicholls - RPI 120
Iowa St - RPI 93
Texas Tech - RPI 37

We can really cement a top 4 overall seed if we go 4-0 this week against two more top 20 RPI squads (4 games total) 

TXST has such a high RPI, they should be hosting.  Could match up with them in a super, but so far, feels like they won't be in Austin for a regional 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

The pitchers mention they get so much 1-on-1 time with PRT compared to before when Mike was splitting time between pitching and head coach. TAKE THE HINT PIERCE

Hit the road Pierce. (Sorry wrong thread).

• Hook 'Em 3

Big 12 POW guesses: 

Player - Stewie?  That was a huge homerun to win the series versus OU
Pitcher - Czech? She didn't surrender a run to OU in 6 innings of work over 2 games Friday and Sunday and got the W in the series clincher

• Hook 'Em 3

Texas needs to quickly regain their focus and get ready for a really tough match up on Wednesday. TxSt is looking to solidfy a top seed in the post season, and this game is very important for them to do that. Hopefully Mike don't play around with the line up the way he has on several mid week games this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

For the first time this season, a team not named Oklahoma sits atop the Top 25 poll. The Duke Blue Devils are the new No. 1 team according to Softball America.

The Sooners drop to the second spot after losing their first Big 12 series since 2011, falling to Texas. Oklahoma State, Texas and Tennessee round out the next three spots. While Oklahoma does have a win over Duke, that came on Opening Day, a day that was before we knew the star Claire Davidson would become and that Jala Wright would emerge as the team’s ace. Head-to-head is considered but teams can also drastically change between now and then.

Why didn’t Texas jump above Oklahoma? The Longhorns’ weekend was the most impressive weekend for any team this season. However, just last week the Longhorns were blanked twice by Lexi Kilfoyl and Oklahoma State, and Texas has three more losses this season than Oklahoma does. The Cowgirls also took care of a Houston team that also handed Texas a loss.

Despite Tennessee’s big series win over Georgia without Kiki Milloy, Texas did go ahead of the Lady Vols due to the significance of the series win over the three-time defending National Champions.

Stanford, LSU, Florida, Georgia and Texas A&M finish off the Top 10. The Cardinal remain the highest-ranked team in the Pac-12 but have yet to face Washington and UCLA. The winner of LSU and Florida’s Monday rubber match should get a boost in next week’s poll. Although Georiga has hit a rough patch, the Bulldogs have been a Top-10 team all season long. The Aggies grab the wide-open 10th spot after winning their fourth SEC series and are still in contention for the regular-season crown.

Arkansas makes a leap to the 13th spot after securing series wins over Georgia and Missouri. Kansas re-enters the poll after another Big 12 sweep and Virginia joins the poll after its third ACC series win.

https://softballamerica.com/2024-softball-america-top-25-poll-week-9/

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

Texas needs to quickly regain their focus and get ready for a really tough match up on Wednesday. TxSt is looking to solidfy a top seed in the post season, and this game is very important for them to do that. Hopefully Mike don't play around with the line up the way he has on several mid week games this year.

I think this one is too important. Let them tinker with lineups against Nicholls. I expect to see Mullins again and we probably throw Citlaly unless Mike rides the Czech Wave (which I’m all in favor of too, she was nails this weekend)

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Back to #1 in D1 Softball

For the second time this season, Texas ascends to the No. 1 position in the D1Softball top 25 poll.

The Longhorns move into the top spot after winning two games in their three-game series against Oklahoma in Austin this weekend. Texas now sits at 31-6 overall on the year.

Oklahoma, who had spent all but one week of the season in the top spot, slides to No. 2 after losing the series to Texas in Austin. The Sooners are now 35-3 on the year.

Stanford, Oklahoma State, and Duke round out the top five after undefeated 4-0 weeks by all three teams.

This is an odd season because so many teams could be #1 right now -

Texas, who has wins over UCLA, split with Stanford, 2 wins over OU, Tennessee, TX State - but lost 2/3 to OSU and dropped a game to UH
OU, who only has 3 losses all year (2 to Texas on the road) but SOS #26
OSU, who beat Texas 2/3, but also has losses to Tulsa and BYU and Baylor and an SOS of #33
Duke, who has played absolutely nobody with an SOS of #35
Stanford, who split with Texas, but also has a loss against Sac State
Tennessee, who lost to Texas and also lost to Cal State Fullerton and an SOS of #31

3 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I think this one is too important. Let them tinker with lineups against Nicholls. I expect to see Mullins again and we probably throw Citlaly unless Mike rides the Czech Wave (which I’m all in favor of too, she was nails this weekend)

I feel like you guys are about to conjure the spirit of Bill In Sinton.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I feel like you guys are about to conjure the spirit of Bill In Sinton.

Well this is a huge midweek game for our resume. 

Texas State is 32-9 (9-3), 14th in RPI, ranked 19th (SA), 25th (USA Today), 20th (D1) and 22nd (ESPN)

We will very likely see Jessica Mullins again (21-4, 0.78 ERA), who held Texas to 1 run on 6 hits with 5 K and 2 walks back on February 28 in San Marcos.

Teagan Kavan had a 2-hit shutout with 9 strikeouts and 1 walk. 

Texas won on a 4th inning RBI single by Joley Mitchell. 

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

All 3 outs that inning were via fly balls in foul territory. One of them being a bunt being caught in foul territory 

That bunt was pretty bad by the Captain