Texas (+8.5) @Kansas- 5pm on ESPN

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

I disagree with the latter. Texas did not have to hire Terry. 

We could have paid the dude a big bonus instead and he would have been hired away by another unfortunate program. 

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

I’m not thrilled with the results and some coaching decisions but RT will be HC next season because one season is not enough time.  

Don’t know why this is obligatory, as he was an “emergency hire”. Do you really have to walk the plank in this scenario, or just cut the cord , realizing he is what he always was?

47 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Don’t know why this is obligatory, as he was an “emergency hire”. Do you really have to walk the plank in this scenario, or just cut the cord , realizing he is what he always was?

Because Texas is a first class university, which is why they sent Beard out the door, they will not fire RT based on the results of one season.  I think it is likely they will give RT three seasons unless next season is complete disaster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i just keep praying he goes the cedric daniels route and gets talked into “stepping down for family/health reasons”.’

do i think this will happen? no. is it possible this will happen? also no. fuck we are so screwed.

So basically, you want him to whip his dick out in front of some cheerleaders pregame. Noted

10 hours ago, Horn80 said:

I’m not thrilled with the results and some coaching decisions but RT will be HC next season because one season is not enough time.  

It’s year two. 

Ultimately CDC and Texas made the easiest choice possible with both Beard and RT.  

They could have waited on firing Beard. They could have done a real coaching search. 

CDC took the easy way out, clearly not the right way out. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, El Squared said:

"In an emergency Break Glass and Hire Rodney Terry".

The money apparently, and somewhat surprisingly, wanted Terry.   Familiarity probably went a long way.  If it had been a random assistant who had been with Beard for only a few years and had no other ties to the University, my guess is we would have done the "here is your bonus, good luck" and started a real search.

9 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Because Texas is a first class university, which is why they sent Beard out the door, they will not fire RT based on the results of one season.  I think it is likely they will give RT three seasons unless next season is complete disaster. 

Agreed, with the caveat that not making the tournament next year qualifies as a complete disaster.

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Shaka went 11-22 in year two. So pull up a chair, get comfy, and impotently wave your pom poms for the next two years. 

Correct. He isn't going anywhere for a while. This season, while a disappointment, is nowhere close to the worst seasons of Shaka and even Barnes. It would take a lot more than this to get him fired.

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Correct. He isn't going anywhere for a while. This season, while a disappointment, is nowhere close to the worst seasons of Shaka and even Barnes. It would take a lot more than this to get him fired.

huge difference: we actually wanted shaka and barnes to be our HC in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

huge difference: we actually wanted shaka and barnes to be our HC in the first place.

Either way, Texas isn't firing RT this year. And if we miss the tourney this year AND follow it up with a 12 win season next year, I'm still not SURE we fire him.  

4 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Shaka went 11-22 in year two. So pull up a chair, get comfy, and impotently wave your pom poms for the next two years. 

I don't agree.  If RT misses the tournament this season and next... he should be gone.

Period

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/24/2024 at 6:35 PM, MotownHorn said:

As I say every game this Horton Shedrick Cunningham weaver lineup RT insists on putting in every 1st half after the 12 minute timeout absolutely sucks and puts us behind the 8 ball 

We are never going to beat good teams when RT trots out this lineup between the 12 and 8 minute timeouts. It gets destroyed every. single. time. Yet he insists on playing that lineup every game.

That's my biggest takeaway from last night. I have little hope for a tournament run if RT continues to play that lineup at that time.

• Hook 'Em 1