Texas (+8.5) @Kansas- 5pm on ESPN

shadow_operative

So... I don't watch a lot of Texas basketball (because it isn't on).

But when I do, I see a lot of non-shooters, bad decisions, and just random basketball.

I don't think RT is the guy, but I also don't think this is the team. It's like the pieces don't fit.

6 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Hmmm 🤔 I would love to take one 2-3 hrs away 

Lubbock isn’t 2-3 hours away from Austin

Stop with the Sampson shit. He’s finishing his career at Houston, and that is very well known.

Idk that’s a tricky one. I think Texas didn’t have to but they played it safe. You were really going yo fire a coach who won the conference tourny and got you to the elite 8?? 

that’s a slippery slope, ESPN and socials would have had a field day with Texas had we fired RT

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Of course they didn't, but it was the right thing to do.

Based on what? His prolific previous head coaching career? Based on the fact he was black and we didnt want the poor optics of not hiring him? Why exactly did he deserve the job? Let's be honest with ourselves here. 

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Based on what? His prolific previous head coaching career? Based on the fact he was black and we didnt want the poor optics of not hiring him? Why exactly did he deserve the job? Let's be honest with ourselves here. 

Based on his performance as the interim head coach. He earned the job.

6 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Idk that’s a tricky one. I think Texas didn’t have to but they played it safe. You were really going yo fire a coach who won the conference tourny and got you to the elite 8?? 

that’s a slippery slope, ESPN and socials would have had a field day with Texas had we fired RT

How would we be firing someone who was in an interim position? Lol

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

So he coached someone else's team, someone else's recruits, and a team that was all senior led btw, to a tie game in the round of 32 with Penn State (a 10 seed) with less than 2 minutes remaining and we pulled out a squeaker. Then we beat a team we were seeded higher than before choking a 20 point lead to a 5 seed. You call that "earning" it. No the fuck he did not. Penn State hits a couple of buckets and everything is different. You really think RT made the difference on that team last year? Haha no

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So he coached someone else's team, someone else's recruits, and a team that was all senior led btw, to a tie game in the round of 32 with Penn State (a 10 seed) with less than 2 minutes remaining and we pulled out a squeaker. Then we beat a team we were seeded higher than before choking a 20 point lead to a 5 seed. You call that "earning" it. No the fuck he did not. Penn State hits a couple of buckets and everything is different. You really think RT made the difference on that team last year? Haha no

He kept the team together and got it to the Elite Eight for the first time in 15 years.

He absolutely earned the job.

Did he earn a five year deal? Well, there we're in sort of a gray area.

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He kept the team together and got it to the Elite Eight for the first time in 15 years.

I could've kept that team together. It was a bunch of seniors, they weren't gonna quit just because their coach was a POS. In the real world, you thank RT for his efforts, he goes somewhere else to prove he can hack it at the highest level, and if he succeeds maybe you hire him back if the next guy doesnt work out. But no, we are so concerned with optics we tied a deadweight around our necks for 5 years so people wouldnt write mean tweets about us. #winning

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Had Texas hired Mark Few, which it sounds like there was real legitimacy to, then everyone would have understood immediately.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Hire fast. Fire faster.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Nah, that’s not how this works. You can have an interim CEO lead a company for a quarter or so and maintain good results, but if they’re not qualified based on their background to be that company’s CEO, you go hire someone who is. This shit happens all the time in business and is a direct comparison here.

Nothing about Terry’s long-term résumé suggests he has earned the right to be the head coach of a top-20 program. Hiring based on short-term results, pressure, and emotions is a recipe for disaster, and we’re seeing that play out first hand. 

3 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Hire fast. Fire faster.

I sure as hell hope so. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Nah, that’s not how this works. You can have an interim CEO lead a company for a quarter or so and maintain good results, but if they’re not qualified based on their background to be that company’s CEO, you go hire someone who is. This shit happens all the time in business and is a direct comparison here.

Nothing about Terry’s long-term résumé suggests he has earned the right to be the head coach of a top-20 program. Hiring based on short-term results, pressure, and emotions is a recipe for disaster, and we’re seeing that play out first hand. 

Apparently, it is.

10 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I could've kept that team together. It was a bunch of seniors, they weren't gonna quit just because their coach was a POS. In the real world, you thank RT for his efforts, he goes somewhere else to prove he can hack it at the highest level, and if he succeeds maybe you hire him back if the next guy doesnt work out. But no, we are so concerned with optics we tied a deadweight around our necks for 5 years so people wouldnt write mean tweets about us. #winning

Five years?

Come on.