Houston: where to stay?

CoachTex

Heading to Houston with the family to see the Savannah Bananas in March. Staying Saturday night. Sunday taking the kids to the Natural History Museum before heading back to SA. Are there any options not to far that won't cost an arm and a leg but still in a safe part of town? It has been 20 years since I was last in Houston.  Help is greatly appreciated. 

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

Stay at the Hotel Zaza. It’s close to everything you mentioned.

Just to clarify, stay at the one in the Museum District. I told a friend to stay at Zaza last year and his wife accidentally booked the one in Memorial City. They wondered why I recommended a hotel on the Katy Freeway.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Hate said:

Stay at the Hotel Zaza. It’s close to everything you mentioned.

The last time I stayed at Zaza it was cougar town.  Should be great people watching for the kids-“Daddy, why does that woman’s face not move when she smiles?”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

How bad is the walk from the red line light rail to minute made? Is it safe to walk at night?  Zaza all booked. 

Zaza has a fleet of house cars. Just have one of them drive you downtown.

5 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

How bad is the walk from the red line light rail to minute made? Is it safe to walk at night?  Zaza all booked. 

I assume the Zaza is booked for Rodeo. I wouldn’t stay in the Medical Center. The hotels are pretty dated,  and you pay a premium to be close to the hospitals. 

Downtown hotels should be priced better, but they won’t be cheap. 

Honestly, I’d probably get a VRBO in EADO or West U and just Uber everywhere. As long as you’re not going to or leaving NRG, you won’t pay the Rodeo surge pricing. 

As I laid in the Daily Texan Houston thread, the only time the Red Line isn’t dicey is when a uniformed cop is riding in each car and on the platforms. 

Hotel Icon is a favorite of ours if you need up staying downtown. It’s a 15 minute Uber to the museum district from there. 

since you have kids, you may want to look at the Marriott Marquis so your kids can play in the pool. It has a lazy river in the shape of Texas. Kids love it.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume the Zaza is booked for Rodeo. I wouldn’t stay in the Medical Center. The hotels are pretty dated,  and you pay a premium to be close to the hospitals. 

Downtown hotels should be priced better, but they won’t be cheap. 

Honestly, I’d probably get a VRBO in EADO or West U and just Uber everywhere. As long as you’re not going to or leaving NRG, you won’t pay the Rodeo surge pricing. 

As I laid in the Daily Texan Houston thread, the only time the Red Line isn’t dicey is when a uniformed cop is riding in each car and on the platforms. 

I live in the Museum District, but was in temporary housing in the area for much of last year. There are good short term rental options in the area, which is highly walkable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The OP said they were from SA, so I assume they're driving to Houston. No need for Uber, really, unless they plan on getting tanked with their children in tow. No judgement.

I say that becuase Houston is a pretty driveable city. If you stay in the Museum District, and downtown, and anywhere north of NRG you should avoid most of the traffic that comes with the Rodeo. Without traffic you can get anywhere in/around the loop in about 15 minutes. 

There's a courtyard by Marriot on I-10 that is cheap AF, my wife and I stayed there during the freeze a few years back when our power was out for days. It's new, clean, and functional: https://www.google.com/travel/search?ts=CAESCAoCCAMKAggDGhwSGhIUCgcI6A8QAxgDEgcI6A8QAxgEGAEyAhAAKgcKBToDVVNE&qs=CAEyFENnc0l3OXlxcU0tYXA5M0VBUkFCOAo&utm_campaign=sharing&utm_medium=link_btn&utm_source=htls

My point  is, you don't really have to worry about being "Central" to everything, as long as there isn't traffic or construction, everything is driveable, and I assume you'll have your own car. 

Any of the downtown hotels is probably fine, and you can walk to the game. Everything else you just drive man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 10:19 AM, CoachTex said:

Heading to Houston with the family to see the Savannah Bananas in March. Staying Saturday night. Sunday taking the kids to the Natural History Museum before heading back to SA. Are there any options not to far that won't cost an arm and a leg but still in a safe part of town? It has been 20 years since I was last in Houston.  Help is greatly appreciated. 

How’d it go OP? 

On 2/29/2024 at 1:19 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I just returned from 3 days in Houston. Stayed downtown at the corner of Main and Rusk at the AC, which is cheap and cheerful and next to the Flying Saucer.  I took the Red Line up to White Oak Music Hall twice. Yep, there are definitely some homeless people on the train (and all over downtown), but I've been on MARTA in Atlanta and other public transport before. Not a big deal.  One guy targeted me when i got on the train, but I just ignored him and he hopped off at the next stop. No cops and no one checking tickets either ride.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, zlavydra said:

I just returned from 3 days in Houston. Stayed downtown at the corner of Main and Rusk at the AC, which is cheap and cheerful and next to the Flying Saucer.  I took the Red Line up to White Oak Music Hall twice. Yep, there are definitely some homeless people on the train (and all over downtown), but I've been on MARTA in Atlanta and other public transport before. Not a big deal.  One guy targeted me when i got on the train, but I just ignored him and he hopped off at the next stop. No cops and no one checking tickets either ride.

Atlanta resident here.  Just firmly say no, and usually it works out.

i had lunch at pinkerton’s friday. A loooooooy of old metal fans. Who was playing ?

Flying Saucer rules. I was in there once a week when I worked downtown. 

While we’re on the subject of Hampton Inns, I want to go on the record saying that the Hampton Inn in Corsicana is a real piece of shit.

It is dragging down the entire brand.

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

i had lunch at pinkerton’s friday. A loooooooy of old metal fans. Who was playing ?

White Oak hosts a 3-day metal festival each spring. Queensryche was the headliner on Friday.  I went to the Pit Room for lunch that day.

• Hook 'Em 1