Recommend me a shootin' game

Fudge Nuggets

I'm not a big game player at all, but I do like to play the shoot 'em up games from time to time.  For reference, I really like the CoD WWII game and the last couple of Sniper Elite games.  BF1 was above average in my opinion but won't go down as one of my all time favorites.

Looking for something with really good scenery maps, fairly constant action without taking it to stupid extremes where it's 100% run and gun.  I absolutely hate anything that is too futuristic such as CoD Infinite Warfare.  Advanced Warfare was pretty bad as well.  

My platform is PS-4 and I don't do online multiplayer stuff if that makes any difference.

Single player focused shooters are a rare breed these days. All the big companies have moved to “service” games or battle royale games. 

Maybe go back and find older titles you never played like all the Bioshocks or something like that. 

As Hawn said, it's kind of a rare breed. There are some shooter MMOs though that might appeal to you, Defiance is one (Neverwinter Nights is too, but instead of guns it's arrows and magic). You can play it completely solo, so don't let the MMO part scare you off. MMOs will give you a persistent world with relatively new content from time to time. 

Edited by MillerEP

Destiny 2 fits most of this.  Yes, it's "futuristic" but most of the guns still behave like current weaponry.  It's MMO, but you can solo for a long, long time before hitting a wall where you need a fireteam.  And some of the others on here play when you get to that.  Pretty sure there's a free demo on the store, too.

32 minutes ago, Slikwille said:

The best shooter (period) if the last 3 years is Doom 2016. It's futuristic, run and gun, so it is completely against everything you said you would like, but it is still worth playing it is that damn good.

I second this. So much fun.

The only problem with most of these are the campaigns are so short you burn through them in a day, and then where is the replayability? Destiny or The Division might be good options, like I said you might want a shooter MMO, and just solo it for replayability.

On 7/20/2018 at 7:08 PM, Slikwille said:

The best shooter (period) if the last 3 years is Doom 2016. It's futuristic, run and gun, so it is completely against everything you said you would like, but it is still worth playing it is that damn good.

Damn i'm going to have to give it a download.

I'm currently playing Hitman, but it's more of a problem solver than a shooter. Far cry 5 was pretty fun, but repetitive and horrible AI. 

I want to give that Tom clancy wildlands a try too. I like historic or present military games a bit better than the future or zombie shooters.

If you like run and gun similar to Doom, try DESYNC. Also, superhot was fun.

-Far Cry 3/4/5.  Far Cry 4 is a sequel to Far Cry 3, but Far Cry 5 is a standalone game. So you can jump into part 5 which came out earlier this year.

-The latest Wolfenstein reboot & sequel are great. A DLC-sized prequel, "The Old Blood" came out between I and II.

-Sniper Elite 4, maybe?  I've only ever played a demo of Sniper Elite 3 and it was pretty fun.

A couple good action/adventure games that aren't straight shoot em up:

-Dishonored 1 & 2

-Rise of the Tomb Raider (haven't played this one, but played the original reboot on xbox)

-The Last of Us

• Like 1

If you are OK with third person shooters, there are a bunch:

Red Dead Redemption is one of the best single player games of all time. It's a story driven old western game, but there is plenty of action and loads of fun in the sandbox environment

GTA 5 is a ton of fun

Just Cause 1/2/3...  - Pick any of them, they are great fun. JC2 is like $3 on Steam

• Like 1

All of the Wolfenstein games are excellent.  Violent, intense, funny at times, outlandish almost always - just crazy fun.

Just Cause 3 was free with PS+ a while back.  Silly physics and way over the top destruction fest.  Pretty fun, but not really a traditional shooter.

Far Cry games are pretty fun too.  Somewhere between Wolfenstein and Just Cause 3 on the shooter action to ridiculous destruction scale.

Have you played Last of Us?  It's also fantastic. The other Naughty Dog offerings - the Uncharted/Nathan Drake series - are also fun, but have more platforming and puzzle elements to them.

You said you don't like futuristic settings/themes, but I would strongly recommend you check out both Horizon Zero Dawn and Fallout 4.  They were both fantastic IMO.

On 7/21/2018 at 7:08 AM, Slikwille said:

I’ll probably give this a try when I get back.  I played the original Doom on PC all those years ago and loved it.

He says he doesn’t like anything too futuristic and doesn’t do multiplayer, and you recommend Destiny 2? 

I explained earlier why. You can solo most of the game. The guns look futuristic, but the majority perform like normal weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Borderlands is “future” but not. Both are fun.

Best when played with friends or online with same same few normal people who just want to chit chat and bullshit. Not kids or strategists really, but 4 people are needed for the games to be really fun.

On 7/25/2018 at 3:02 PM, CurlyDumps said:

-Far Cry 3/4/5.  Far Cry 4 is a sequel to Far Cry 3, but Far Cry 5 is a standalone game. So you can jump into part 5 which came out earlier this year.

-The latest Wolfenstein reboot & sequel are great. A DLC-sized prequel, "The Old Blood" came out between I and II.

-Sniper Elite 4, maybe?  I've only ever played a demo of Sniper Elite 3 and it was pretty fun.

A couple good action/adventure games that aren't straight shoot em up:

-Dishonored 1 & 2

-Rise of the Tomb Raider (haven't played this one, but played the original reboot on xbox)

-The Last of Us

Liked for The Last of Us. Probably the best game I have every played. Also The Last of Us Two is coming out soon and will be unbelievable. 

Also heads up to COD fans MW2 is backwards compatible on XBONE. It's the best cod of all time not even close.  

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 7:53 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'm not a big game player at all, but I do like to play the shoot 'em up games from time to time.  For reference, I really like the CoD WWII game and the last couple of Sniper Elite games.  BF1 was above average in my opinion but won't go down as one of my all time favorites.

Looking for something with really good scenery maps, fairly constant action without taking it to stupid extremes where it's 100% run and gun.  I absolutely hate anything that is too futuristic such as CoD Infinite Warfare.  Advanced Warfare was pretty bad as well.  

My platform is PS-4 and I don't do online multiplayer stuff if that makes any difference.

If you get a chance, play Bioshock Infinite. Great game and prolly best narrative I've ever played.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm playing PUBG. Fair warning, no aim assist, it is difficult if you haven't played a ton of FPSs before which I hadn't. It is a blast when you get decent at it though. It gets really intense. Watch some YouTube videos about it. If interested, let me know and I can point you in the right direction advice wise. There is a training grounds to learn how to shoot and adjust settings. Oh, the game is free to download but it is online only, no campaigns.

Edited by Longhornlove