2024 Property appraisals are out

47 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

@Brisketexan This might be several years old but didn’t you post something about visiting with a tax protest attorney and they explained process a bit, or maybe said something about land value vs improvement value not important?  

I feel like the post made the point that for value purposes, TCAD didn’t really distinguish between land or improvements and kind of moved around the values of each in a way that didn’t always make sense (but also that protesting based on those changes didn’t appear effective).  

It was actually in my informal protest meeting.  TCAD guy explained that the land v. improvement distinction was functionally meaningless.  Stupid, but that's the way it be.

• Hook 'Em 1

For Austin homeowners, pay close attention to your overall property value increase or decrease in 2023. I certainly haven’t run comps across the entire city, but most property values should have declined not appreciated in 2023, unless there were special circumstances.  

Austin/Travis County put in extra effort in 2022 to get property values around town much better aligned to true values. They were a bit all over the place in years past. If they did that with your property, then values in 2023 should have declined. 

Note that your taxable value could still be going up, but limited by the 10% cap. I’m talking about overall property value, not taxable value. 

I see a ton of posts with double digit increases in property value, and there really shouldn’t be all that many.   

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, tokamak said:

What's the website that will run comps, etc for you for a fixed fee. I hate asking my realtor friends to do me a favor. I know someone has posted it here before.

Protestingpropertytaxes.com

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/12/2024 at 1:12 PM, CooterBrown said:

Mine went up 15.1%. WTF.  I guess the two new constructions on my street that went for $2.1M in the past year fucked up everyone's valuations.

My improvements increased almost 50%.  There have been no improvements.

Hopefully Pro Tax can fix it.

This is me…except no new construction on my street. (University Hills)

20% increase. Wtf.

improvements increased 40% (no changes to land). There have been no improvements. 

On 4/19/2024 at 3:46 PM, Dbeasy said:

For Austin homeowners, pay close attention to your overall property value increase or decrease in 2023. I certainly haven’t run comps across the entire city, but most property values should have declined not appreciated in 2023, unless there were special circumstances.  

Austin/Travis County put in extra effort in 2022 to get property values around town much better aligned to true values. They were a bit all over the place in years past. If they did that with your property, then values in 2023 should have declined. 

Note that your taxable value could still be going up, but limited by the 10% cap. I’m talking about overall property value, not taxable value. 

I see a ton of posts with double digit increases in property value, and there really shouldn’t be all that many.   

Checks out. 2023 appraised went down marginally from 2022, 2024 is still below 2022. 2021 to 2022 is where the pain is.  

1 hour ago, Grimas said:

I'm not sure Protestingpropertytaxes.com is still alive - I just put in my address and it just spins...  (And I had paid for a yearly report but haven't gotten one this year...

Through Google I found jubally.com which seems to be offering a similar service. Not an endorsement, I haven't used them.

2 hours ago, Grimas said:

I'm not sure Protestingpropertytaxes.com is still alive - I just put in my address and it just spins...  (And I had paid for a yearly report but haven't gotten one this year...

I went to protestingproprtytaxes.com and the site said it couldn’t locate my address.  I emailed them and they responded that they had located my address and gave me a link to verify my HCAD information and request a free assessment.  I requested the free assessment and a few days later got an email that said they could support about a 10% reduction based on 10 comps in my neighborhood that they showed on a map.

I just went to Jubally.com and got an assessment.  They responded in just a few minutes.  They also said they had 10 comps, but didn't give any specifics.  Their reduction based on the comps was only 4%.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

i pulled my house and all 37 of my neighboring properties within a radius of 700 feet of my house.

every single property had precisely the same land value 2023 to 2024.

36 of the 37 properties that neighbor me went down on improvements by anywhere from 9% to 60% with a mean of 33% and a median of 39% and a stdev of 10%. the one that did not undertook a major renovation and increased their sqft by 1,000 sqft.  It went up 3.9%.

mine went up 6%.  I did no major updates, renovations, anything.  i got a variance to do some retention walls in the setbacks.  that's it.

i uploaded the spreadsheet that is overwhelmingly demonstrative of the bullshit take by tcad to support not equitable to neighbors and i get a list of two houses that are on lots three times bigger that are over a mile a way from me and a settlement offer of my noticed amount.

i suspect my informal protest will not go well by the time i am done ranting to those cocksuckers as to what a bunch of fucking morons they are.  i suspect my formal protest won't go well because armybrat's granddad is going to be asleep after his tcad provided lubys.  so on to court.

• Like 1

Appealed my home in tarrant co, got immediate offer for 10% cut but declined. Submitted notes on their comps and a couple pics, got another 5% off. Ended up 5% lower than my purchase price. 

minutes after signing off on the offer I got a letter from those bitches at ownwell saying they could have gotten 5% off of the initial value. Eat shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1