The Dallas Stars 2024 Playoffs Thread

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I’m tired of hearing how the Stars are outplaying Vegas but yet we are behind on the scoreboard again and staring down the barrel of 0-2.

Who says we are outplaying them?  We’re not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Who says we are outplaying them?  We’re not. 

Studio host on Bally. The guy with Sevy.

5 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

What a soft ass goal to give up there. We have 1 period to save our season. 

Yeah, it’s one you’ve got to stop at this time of the season. Period.

7 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

Eat your Otter crow boys. Dude is the only reason we’re still in this game.

Nah. Hes played well but the last goal he gave up was atrocious. He’s not a shut down goalie.

Also, we have a bunch of good players. Not one great one. 

3 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

If the score holds both of the Vegas game winning goals are soft as shit goals from their defensemen. 

That's what they do to Dallas.  Let Dallas continually dump it into the corners and force them to waste time and energy fighting for the puck, then wait for Dallas to make a dumb mistake and take advantage.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

that'll do it.  see you next year.

Roster needs to be churned. Way too much dead weight come playoff season. I’d rather be the 6 seed with fresh legs than the 1 seed with a bunch of corpses skating in mud. 

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Did the Golden Knights tank the final game of the regular season to intentionally get this matchup?

Yes

Just now, Firemans4Horn said:

The crowd was pathetic down the stretch as well. Sounded like they were at a funeral. 

Probably nervous tension. It is nervey as fuck to stare down the barrel of a choke against an 8 seed when you were dreaming of a Stanley Cup (and no, not the one's soccer moms are all running around with). 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Roster needs to be churned. Way too much dead weight come playoff season. I’d rather be the 6 seed with fresh legs than the 1 seed with a bunch of corpses skating in mud. 

they were never gonna get it done, regardless of the regular season.  they are a good team but don't have the stones to win a cup.

2 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

The crowd was pathetic down the stretch as well. Sounded like they were at a funeral. 

ha. when you know the body is dead already that's what happens.

Posted (edited)

We need to start with replacing DeBoer. Vegas got rid of him for exactly what we are seeing now. Come playoffs teams have figured out how to counter his system and his team "suddenly" goes into a scoring drought. It's like clock work.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

The Knights didn't tank the end of the regular season.  This side of the bracket is a much tougher path for them.  But I also think they just flipped the switch in the playoffs (combined with the whole magically healthy complete roster thing).

Not much else to be said.  It's bullshit we are playing a roster way over the cap, particularly in the first round, the refs have done us no favors and we really have not had any puck luck, but none of that matters because we are flat out getting outplayed.  They took our best shot in the first period, got it back on a 2-0 fucking rush, then just settled in and completely outplayed us the last 30 mins of the game.   I thought Otter played great and kept us in the game.  They could have easily blown it open and we just flat out didn't execute at the net on our best chances.   We should absolutely win every game we give up 2 goals or less with the offensive firepower we have (that has looked absolutely non-existent against this Vegas D).   Hintz is completely MIA and has been for a month.  He's in his prime and being paid like an elite player and has disappeared.  Pavelski finally looks his age.  The Duchene/Seguin line isn't doing anything.   

Stankoven has looked like our best skater from my eyes which should not be the case.  Hell Marchment has flashed more than our big names (and now hurt).

It's a bad matchup but still a disappointing performance.   Hopefully they can somehow find their game in Vegas (have been a better road team than home this year) and we can do a reverse of the '21 Mavs/Clippers, but all my optimism pretty much went out the window as I sat and watched us flat out get our ass kicked during the 3rd in what was clearly the biggest period of the season.

Having never played I certainly don't know hockey X's and O's like other sports but starting to think all of the Vegas fans that had confidence Deboer's system is a terrible matchup against what Vegas does knew what they are talking about after the last 11 games.  They own us.

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I did not love him mixing the lines up in game 2 of a series.  Smelled like desperation.  

I mean I think it was desperation.  Had to try something to jump start our offense.

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

I mean I think it was desperation.  Had to try something to jump start our offense.

I would've jump-started the offense by skipping Daddy and double-shifting Marchment or Stanky, but that's just me. 

And I didn't think we were playing that poorly when he did it; we were just getting zero puck luck and playing against a really good D.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

And I didn't think we were playing that poorly when he did it; we were just getting zero puck luck and playing against a really good D.

Yeah, it really did seem to be snowballing. Their goalie was giving up rebounds that just never found our stick, not finishing plays, not getting calls, just seemed like everything kind of working against us and it gave them all the confidence for what ended up being a defensive masterpiece down the stretch.  I saw we didn't even get a SOG the last 5.5 minutes which I didn't realize at the time, but yeah, seems right.   Absolutely everything is going right for them in this series and most of that has to do with their play.  We've been a great road team all year so maybe we can win game 3 and it gets interesting again but definitely walked out of that building last night fully realizing may not be back for a hockey game until next October.

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, it really did seem to be snowballing. Their goalie was giving up rebounds that just never found our stick, not finishing plays, not getting calls, just seemed like everything kind of working against us and it gave them all the confidence for what ended up being a defensive masterpiece down the stretch.  I saw we didn't even get a SOG the last 5.5 minutes which I didn't realize at the time, but yeah, seems right.   Absolutely everything is going right for them in this series and most of that has to do with their play.  We've been a great road team all year so maybe we can win game 3 and it gets interesting again but definitely walked out of that building last night fully realizing may not be back for a hockey game until next October.

A sweep is unlikely. But if that does happen, DeBoer should be fired. 

Vegas is a very bad matchup for us. Very deep defensive group, which was how they won last year. They pack the middle and don’t let you near the goal. I think that’s why Pavelski has been erased. He can’t get anywhere near the goal mouth to do what he normally does.

I’m not ready to pull the plug on DeBoer. He’s the best coach we’ve had since Tippett (not counting Monty because he was gone before he really showed what he maybe is). He’s won a lot of playoff games/series and sometimes those guys just break through finally.

I think we’re struggling because we have a deep roster of very good players but nobody who is one of the best of the best in the game, guys that just dominate, especially up top. This team needs a Matthew Tkachuk type player.

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I would've jump-started the offense by skipping Daddy and double-shifting Marchment or Stanky, but that's just me. 

Wasn’t marchment hurt, which was part of the reason for the line changes?