Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

When was the last time a freshman rep got so much attention?

.....I'm stumped. Who has generated this amount of press?

Living rent free in the heads of more than I would have ever expected. 

Seriously. She’s a scary brown woman from New York. 3  things that scare conservative men. 

Just now, Cajun said:

Huh?  She's on MSM almost every day/night.

Why is she getting so much attention there?

Shit, Maddow rolled her out after Trumps whatever that was last night.  Just trolling I suppose.  Amirite?

Why do you continue to watch if you don’t like her so much? Why do you care what she has to say? She doesn’t really wield any power in the party right now, yet you seem a little obsessed with her. It’s weird, that’s all. 

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

Does she get airtime on Fox? Not a sit down interview like Maddow. Just their standard BS. She got Norquist's attention. You're here Cajun. 

Am I missing someone in the other freshman of this year that requires such attention?

You watch Fox? 

Well, I did enjoy Sheppard's fact checking on Trumpster last night, but other than that I don't really tune in there.

And, yeah, I'm here.  So is an ignore option.  Try again.

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Trump is a known commodity in the erroneous claim department.  I don't go around trumpeting his greatness and fawn all over his every word or stance.  AOC, on the other hand, within the confines of this site, gets spun positively no matter what dumb shit she says.  The rationalizations in her favor rival those of the Trump sycophants on the other side of the coin.

The Tapper and Cooper interviews weren't about them being harder and overcompensating.  She was asked to back up some wild claims and proposals and literally babbled in circles.  Each interviewer gave her a very wide berth trying to help her help herself in the crediblity department and she fell flat on her face both times.  Very awkward stuff.  

Link me to a thread Surly where Trump is being gushed over and given ridiculous levels of benefit of the doubt by the vast majority of posters giving the AOC treatment like on this thread and I'll have at 'em.  

Promise.

She's a great story. And she's a ray of hope. I don't know what to tell ya, I like her. She was raised right, has excellent personal character and she seems to represent what America is all about. Melting pot, pursuit of exceptionalism, freedom of speech, optimism, upward mobility, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness -- and justice for all.

She's Pocahontas and why can't Pocahontas be president.  It's really her country after all. It's her blood line which was here first. Her people charmed the land, the people who bred Trump raped it. She's 'man'ifest destiny. 

If you think she's the devil in a blue dress, well then, defeat her democratically.

• Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nothing scary at all about her other than her actual lack of experience doing anything other than tending bar at this point.

Then her constituents will vote her out in two years if she does a terrible job. She isn’t going to all of a sudden pass any bills of substance. Who cares at this point. 

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Then why are they getting all worked up? Reps say random ass shit all the damn time. The pronouncements of Gohmert put all of hers to shame for craziness.

Cajun will definitely be the one to start a thread about Gohmert's imbecility. He's definitely consistent about that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Why do you care that I care Sub?  I don't really weild any power over you.  Just put me on ignore amigo.

See how that works?

Why do you care that I care is a moronic statement. This isn’t your living room. It’s a public forum. People will comment on what you post. See how that works, amigo

3 minutes ago, ADHD said:

She's a great story. And she's a ray of hope. I don't know what to tell ya, I like her. She was raised right, has excellent personal character and she seems to represent what America is all about. Melting pot, pursuit of exceptionalism, freedom of speech, optimism, upward mobility, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness -- and justice for all.

She's Pocahontas and why can't Pocahontas be president.  It's really her country after all. It's her blood line which was here first. Her people charmed the land, the people who bred Trump raped it. She's 'man'ifest destiny. 

If you think she's the devil in a blue dress, well then, defeat her democratically.

Devil?  LMAO

You really need to back away from the drama queen stuff my friend.  

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Why do you care that I care is a moronic statement. This isn’t your living room. It’s a public forum. People will comment on what you post. See how that works, amigo

It isn't your living room either.  What's on MSM is a public forum.  People will comment on what they see and hear there.  

Crazy, ain't it?

You seem angry.

Then her constituents will vote her out in two years if she does a terrible job. She isn’t going to all of a sudden pass any bills of substance. Who cares at this point. 

Exactly that's why she's not scary too anybody.  She's been a source of comedy to lots of people cause she's said some silly ass things.

I like her spirit, we'll see if there's anything other than a pretty face soon enough.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Exactly that's why she's not scary too anybody.  She's been a source of comedy to lots of people cause she's said some silly ass things.

I like her spirit, we'll see if there's anything other than a pretty face soon enough.

A very well thought out and reasonable position.

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

It isn't your living room either.  What's on MSM is a public forum.  People will comment on what they see and hear there.  

Crazy, ain't it?

You seem angry.

What are you talking about? You have strange rebuttals. Why do you care that I care! It’s isnt your living room either! You’re the puppet.

Republicans....

7 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

She gets ratings? Why not have her on? It makes good sense for Cooper and Tapper to have her on. It makes no sense for Grover Norquist to engage her on Twitter and get pantsed.

I honestly know nothing of Grover or what transpired there.

It is nice to hear that she "pantsed" old Grover after she pantsed herself on Tapper/Cooper.  Adds a certain symmetry.

Edited by Cajun

What are you talking about? You have strange rebuttals. Why do you care that I care! It’s isnt your living room either! You’re the puppet.

Republicans....

Ok, Sub.  Like I said, there's an ignore button.

Please, don't let me live rent free, rabble rabble...

33 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Trump is a known commodity in the erroneous claim department.  I don't go around trumpeting his greatness and fawn all over his every word or stance.  AOC, on the other hand, within the confines of this site, gets spun positively no matter what dumb shit she says.  

THERE SEEMS TO BE QUITE A BIT OF EVIDENCE SHOWING THAT A LOT OF THE SHIT SHE SAYS DOES NOT GET SPUN POSITIVELY ON THIS SITE.

The rationalizations in her favor rival those of the Trump sycophants on the other side of the coin.

The Tapper and Cooper interviews weren't about them being harder and overcompensating.  She was asked to back up some wild claims and proposals and literally babbled in circles.  Each interviewer gave her a very wide berth trying to help her help herself in the crediblity department and she fell flat on her face both times.  Very awkward stuff.  

I DON'T DISAGREE. WHAT I'M FASCINATED BY IS THE SHARP & HIGHLY CRITICAL FOCUS THAT IS PLACED ON THIS PARTICULAR FRESHMAN BACKBENCHER OUT OF 435 REPS.

Link me to a thread Surly where Trump is being gushed over and given ridiculous levels of benefit of the doubt by the vast majority of posters giving the AOC treatment like on this thread and I'll have at 'em.

I'M NOT GOING TO DIG, BUT THERE ARE, ON OCCASSION, TRUMP BACKERS WHO SHOW UP IN EITHER THE INVESTIGATION THREAD OR THE TRUMP THREAD THAT WILL GO TO "RIDICULOUS LEVELS OF BENEFIT" ONLY TO BE SHOWN HOW ABSOLUTELY WRONG THEY ARE BY ANY OBJECTIVE MEASURE.

TRUMP HAS NO "VAST MAJORITY" ON THIS, OR ANY, OTHER THREAD. NOTHING HE SAYS IS DEFENSIBLE AND THE RELATIVE LACK OF "CONSERVATIVE" VOICES HERE PROVES IT. LOTS OF POSTERS HAVE VOICED SKEPTICISM OF HER NUMBERS BY SEVERAL POSTERS, (I'VE ONLY VERY RECENTLY STEPPED INTO THIS THREAD) & I SEE FAR FROM A "VAST MAJORITY" OF SUPPORT FOR HER SPECIFIC CLAIMS.

HALF OF THIS THREAD ISN'T EVEN ABOUT AOC BUT POLITICAL & ECONOMIC THEORY IN GENERAL.

Promise.

SORRY FOR THE ALL-CAPS. JUST TRYING TO DISTINGUISH MY TEXT FROM YOURS. I CAN SWITCH TO A FONT COLOR CHANGE NEXT TIME WITH A NORMAL TYPESET NEXT TIME, IF NEED BE.

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Dennis Kucinich?

dennis-kucinich-elizabeth-kucinich-2012-

Yeah I'd be smiling too

13 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You continue to attack immigrants or child of immigrants, like in my case, for hypocrisy because we don’t hold to your worldview of letting every damn illegal into this country. I’m assuming Melania was a legal immigrant to those country like my parents. What’s hypocritical is YOUR attitude towards us. I’m assuming your family has been in our country for generations. You see me, my parents and myself as some sort of monolithic entity and we are hypocritical in YOUR EYES for being against illegal immigration discounting our own experience as LEGAL IMMIGRANTS and how that might color our worldview when it comes to illegals. You’re full of shit and your attitude smacks of a white guilt Anglo guy who himself nor his family has ever had to worry about immigration issues but has a white man’s burden to tell the unwashed like myself how I should truly feel. 

My kids are the children of a legal immigrant. I have been an immigrant in another country myself. Neither my ex nor I have desires to shoot asylum-seeking children with water cannons and rubber bullets. You don't have a monopoly on this shit on here, buddy.

13 hours ago, troph said:

Cory booker is probably a decent example of a man on the left - older more experienced - but a man of color and he has some progressive chops. He’s no Senator Kaine from Virginia. He’s been on the short list for a while.

Fuck Booker. Tool of pharma and Wall Street. And a fucking vegan. 

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Devil?  LMAO

You really need to back away from the drama queen stuff tomy friend.  

Yeah, especially because I have a stalker on this board who negs me 10x a day. Not you, this piece of shit incapable of ignoring me, as I ignore him.

Anyway, what I said was what I think and feel, imbued with my version of risk taking honesty. She conveys herself similarly, so I can relate.

I can relate to the devil too btw.

Edited by ADHD
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Trump is a known commodity in the erroneous claim department.  I don't go around trumpeting his greatness and fawn all over his every word or stance.  AOC, on the other hand, within the confines of this site, gets spun positively no matter what dumb shit she says.  The rationalizations in her favor rival those of the Trump sycophants on the other side of the coin.

I'm going to give another attempt at addressing this. I want to be thoughtful and respectful here, because I know (from personal experience) you're a decent human who looks to help out others.

You are correct that you don't go around trumpeting Trump. And, yes, AOC has her fans on this site. But, please, consider the power differential and consequences of the actions from the two. AOC is an inexperienced rep amongst 435. DJT is the current office holder of the Presidency of the United State of America and the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces and apparently has no idea what he's doing.

Let's break down the priorities here on outrage: Of the above, one is a single voice amongst many; the other is the most powerful living person on the planet.

Personally, I struggle with understanding why she even deserves a thread on a Texas board. Is it because:

1. she defeated a well-established heir to the throne?
  2. she's an actual fringer & not some BS media manufactured kind? (in other words, she actually embraces the extreme?)
  3. she's wrong in a number of her claims?
  4. she's young and attractive?

Trump meets all of 1 through 3 in the above. Unfortunately, the man is an old, fat orange toad with a yellow lemur glued to his scalp, so he definitely isn't 4.

Again, I can't help but wonder why you're seemingly more concerned by the rationality of one freshman representative amongst many versus the one person who has the authority to simply end it all with the press of a single, red button by his Beetlejuice shrunken hand.

And, yes, go dip your toes in the waters of the Trump or Investigation threads. You might find it educational. And, if I find the time to do it, I'll send you links to comments from the "nothingburger" crowd that has the unfortunate experience of participating.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm going to give another attempt at addressing this. I want to be thoughtful and respectful here, because I know (from personal experience) you're a decent human who looks to help out others.

You are correct that you don't go around trumpeting Trump. And, yes, AOC has her fans on this site. But, please, consider the power differential and consequences of the actions from the two. AOC is an inexperienced rep amongst 435. DJT is the current office holder of the Presidency of the United State of America and the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces and apparently has no idea what he's doing.

Let's break down the priorities here on outrage: Of the above, one is a single voice amongst many; the other is the most powerful living person on the planet.

Personally, I struggle with understanding why she even deserves a thread on a Texas board. Is it because:

2. she's an actual fringer & not some BS media manufactured kind? (in other words, she actually embraces the extreme?)

Trump meets all of 1 through 3 in the above. Unfortunately, the man is an old, fat orange toad with a yellow lemur glued to his scalp, so he definitely isn't 4.

Again, I can't help but wonder why you're seemingly more concerned by the rationality of one freshman representative amongst many versus the one person who has the authority to simply end it all with the press of a single, red button by his Beetlejuice shrunken hand.

And, yes, go dip your toes in the waters of the Trump or Investigation threads. You might find it educational. And, if I find the time to do it, I'll send you links to comments from the "nothingburger" crowd that has the unfortunate experience of participating.

This new cajun horn sucks if he's the same. I liked that guy from the old site. He was cool. This guy? Goat rodeo. 

Everybody says they want something different and here she is and she's already as reviled and detested by the right as Hillary ever was. She's the polar opposite of Hillary. Maybe she's a young militant Hillary but not socio-economically or culturally or visually or career wise, that's for damn sure.

The right also hates Elizabeth Warren too. And Michelle Obama. And Rachel Maddow. And the Dixie Chicks, etc.

Exactly which democratic female would the right ever accept? Not a one, ever. And given the amount of females in leadership roles in their caucus, I seriously doubt they'll ever nominate a woman for president. Esp one of color.

Tis misogyny. And narrow mindedness. 

• Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, bolverk said:

Outrage?  Bolvy, I think I see where the misunderstanding may be.

The bolded part is much closer to why I choose to post.  The dissection of power differential is unnecessary with me.  I get it.  We're all impacted by Orange.  AOC is just a novelty.

Personally, anytime we (The People) turn politicians into rock stars I start to get queasy.  It's folly, irrespective of the letter in front of their name.  That's what's being done here.  I read, I comment, simple as that.  You asked about why I'm not on the Trump thread and I responded.  I can tell you that I have a special lady friend who started spouting off Hannity level talking points regarding The Donald this past weekend and I took her to task.  Ex-wife used the term "libtard" with me during the planning of our daughter's wedding and my cringing face promted her to ask me if I'd become liberal living in Austin this long.  Far from it, but that kind of low RPM "thinker" shit gives me a fucking rash and smacks of "Go Team!" jackassery.  I told her as much.  It wasn't well received.  Funny when you piss off an ex the shit they remember from a marriage.

As for "dipping my toe", I read the threads. 

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Eh you only seem to post on his thread about the scary liberal woman from New York. No bother. Get some sleep, AOC can’t hurt you, don’t worry. 

I just enjoy watching you continue to fuck that chicken Sub.

Until Season 5 of Narcos comes out it's all I got brother.

9 hours ago, bolverk said:

5. The political right is led by such dishonest and unlikable people that the right and Both-Siders are desperate to find balancing equivalents, even though they don't exist.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

5. The political right is led by such dishonest and unlikable people that the right and Both-Siders are desperate to find balancing equivalents, even though they don't exist.

Fuck that, Schumer and Pelosi are two of the biggest whores to walk the halls of Congress.

8 hours ago, ADHD said:

Everybody says they want something different and here she is and she's already as reviled and detested by the right as Hillary ever was. She's the polar opposite of Hillary. Maybe she's a young militant Hillary but not socio-economically or culturally or visually or career wise, that's for damn sure.

The right also hates Elizabeth Warren too. And Michelle Obama. And Rachel Maddow. And the Dixie Chicks, etc.

Exactly which democratic female would the right ever accept? Not a one, ever. And given the amount of females in leadership roles in their caucus, I seriously doubt they'll ever nominate a woman for president. Esp one of color.

Tis misogyny. And narrow mindedness. 

The right hates and fears every fucking person not in their "resistance".  The is no one that can mitigate their reactive hate.

9 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

This new cajun horn sucks if he's the same. I liked that guy from the old site. He was cool. This guy? Goat rodeo. 

Haden, you had plenty of disdain for my political takes on the old site, you're just getting old and the memory is slipping man.

Don't worry, Mack is back in action with the Tarheels and I'll crank up that machine big time in 2019.

Good times a'comin'!

26 minutes ago, NBMisha said:

The right hates and fears every fucking person not in their "resistance".  The is no one that can mitigate their reactive hate.

I thought it was "persistence"?

Fuck, I can't keep all these bumper stickers straight.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez