Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Are there seriously not enough videos out there to make fun of protestors without resorting to sharing the commentary of--and generating clicks/views for--the dumbest, most abhorrent piece of shit losers on Twitter? Nah?

Sure. But that’s all Captainant looks for. Ignore and discredit. It’s the tact of partisan hacks, particularly when video is involved. 

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Sure. But that’s all Captainant looks for. Ignore and discredit. It’s the tact of partisan hacks, particularly when video is involved. 

It's more that the supermajority of links being bandied about this thread are from accounts that were CERTAIN the 2020 election was STOLLEN and that COVID was fake. Idk about y'all, but I think it's important to know what sort of past reporting and inaccuracies a """citizen journalist"""" has in the same way I think it's important for credentialed journalists to stay accountable to their past reporting. 

It's a big part of why I try to link to journalistic sources and real reporting when available. Does in-the-moment Twitter reporting fill some of that breaking news gap for emergent events? Absolutely. But the folks being linked here aren't at any of the events they're """reporting""" on - they're just stoking the outrage fires to superlative effect. Especially when there's not much new being posted and it's more "RECENTLY UNCOVERED SHOCKING FOOTAGE FROM A WEEK AGO!!!" that frequently misrepresents or overstates what actually happened in the video

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's more that the supermajority of links being bandied about this thread are from accounts that were CERTAIN the 2020 election was STOLLEN and that COVID was fake. Idk about y'all, but I think it's important to know what sort of past reporting and inaccuracies a """citizen journalist"""" has in the same way I think it's important for credentialed journalists to stay accountable to their past reporting. 

It's a big part of why I try to link to journalistic sources and real reporting when available. Does in-the-moment Twitter reporting fill some of that breaking news gap for emergent events? Absolutely. But the folks being linked here aren't at any of the events they're """reporting""" on - they're just stoking the outrage fires to superlative effect. Especially when there's not much new being posted and it's more "RECENTLY UNCOVERED SHOCKING FOOTAGE FROM A WEEK AGO!!!" that frequently misrepresents or overstates what actually happened in the video

They posted video. The video speaks for itself. It cannot be discredited. Type more words. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/7/2024 at 1:00 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Bringing police in after laws have been broken is fine yes. Mass show of force before was the issue.

I find the "don't do anything until they break the law" scenario with the "stop them before something bad happens" scenario interesting.

Setting aside the Constitutional arguments for now... 

Consider the hypothetical differences between an engineer and a personal injury attorney; consider everything that might happen and have a contingency plan in place to prevent it, or call Thomas J Henry after the fact because someone did not prevent an eventuality that was conceivable and possible.

Let someone take over the Harry Ransom Center and compromise its contents, or not?

image.thumb.png.b9607a377d4849adc06118b01df865a1.png

17 hours ago, bolverk said:

I'm glad you agree we shouldn't paint protesters with a broad brush because it'd be silly to label everyone protesting the war as "pro-Hamas" or "anti-semitic."

I agree. The broad brush is inefficient, is not uniform, and wastes too much paint v. painting them with a spray wand.

17 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

The Hamas aspect is the biggest hitch in the path forward. I'm strongly convinced that descaling fighting without finding a way to remove their influence in Gaza will lead to continued attacks and more Israeli lives lost.

17 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I agree with your take on removing Hamas being the holdup in any peace talks. But I don’t see any round table being taken seriously by Israel. They see them as a deadly cancer they are cutting out. If you leave any, it can quickly resurface. 

The issues with Hamas, including colocating command and control centers under hospitals and schools, is problematic to say the least. 

"It's like deja vu all over again."

17 hours ago, bolverk said:

I agree with everything you're saying, but not all of the protests are as well organized as you suggest. Some might well be. For instance, the original one at UT on Speedway seemed super efficient and well organized (remember the leaders in yellow vests?). I think that over time, these things start to fall apart as bad actors begin to glom onto an issue/movement and cause trouble. It all just gets out of control, which is why I've been saying for a couple of weeks now that these protests have become counterproductive.

I'm all for peaceful protests, but there are huge differences between the mindset of the 1960's and today, and the 1760's and today. A time and place for everything. 

Marching up Speedway? Go on ahead. Setting up camp in front of the Tower with expressed overtures of taking over the building? Not gonna happen. You cannot allow an outside entity to take over the Tower. Period.

I'm thinking we might need a worldwide Palestinian protest thread.  The number of (clearly of questionable origin 😁) clips coming across my feed from Europe is surprising.  

BTW protestors are  gathering in Malmo for the Eurovision contest not to celebrate the competition, but to protest because an Israeli girl is in the finals.  Does Greta think she should have been disqualified?  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/05/09/eurovision-israel-protests-eden-golan/

Fair points all, more misinformed kids as per usual.  I wonder though which passage or verse or testament in the Talmund by an American leader whom was sent by the Lord our God would quote as his favorite.  Or is it like a Michael Bolton situation where he likes them all about the same, I guess? 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/8/2024 at 9:53 PM, Captainant said:

lmfao I clicked on the profile and OF COURSE this dude on twitter is hosting tucker carlson conspiracy memes from russia

seriously dude, where the fuck do you find these people? 8chan?

He’s one of these people 

15 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

*tack

9 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

BTW protestors are  gathering in Malmo for the Eurovision contest not to celebrate the competition, but to protest because an Israeli girl is in the finals.  Does Greta think she should have been disqualified? 

It's important to remember that most activists participate as a matter of fashion, not as a matter of principle. 

8 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

It starts early for some.

It should not be a revelation to anyone that Greta was groomed by her parents, likely since childhood, to be a mouth piece for their ideologies. Her parents aren't the only ones.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Book learning is dumb. Everything you need to know you can learn on Twitter.  

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Very fine people helpfully turn it into video clips and tell me all I need to know on Twitter!

A fake news site quotes a "scholar" (photo below) making provocative claims about a topic that has absolutely NOTHING TO DO with the protests, so Galaxy Brain thought that was a newsworthy item to post here.

image.png.0d7866fb88465e38db7ec2c7d548a4a2.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

A fake news site quotes a "scholar" (photo below) making provocative claims about a topic that has absolutely NOTHING TO DO with the protests, so Galaxy Brain thought that was a newsworthy item to post here.

image.png.0d7866fb88465e38db7ec2c7d548a4a2.png

What are you talking about

23 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

It’s sad that this is very wishful thinking on your part. 

9 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Fuck my ass. 

It's sad that in your desperate attempts to get fucked in the ass, you keep showing yours.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It's sad that in your desperate attempts to get fucked in the ass, you keep showing yours.

Oh, I’m not showing my ass at all except for an embarrassing yet common grammatical error. You SO want this to be counter protestors that I can smell your patchouli through my iPhone  

“Man has assaulted students!”  Lulz. Revenge of the Nerds man. No wonder why YOU are so strongly siding with them. 

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Twitter truthers, Is visegrad24 trustworthy because its pro-ukraine or is visegrad24 untrustworthy because its pro-israel 😓

Can you explain why being pro-Palestinian is necessarily anti-Israel, as the author of the tweet frames it?

I can't speak for all the protestors, but I can say for myself:

• I'm 100% pro-Israel insofar as Israel has the right to exist as a nation within its internationally recognized borders.
  • I can also state that I'm pro-Palestine insofar as Palestinians have the right to their own sovereign and fully autonomous nation.
  • I'm pro-Israel insofar as they have the right to defend themselves from outside attacks.
  • I'm pro-Palestinian insofar as they have all the human rights afforded to them by international law.

The things that I'm opposed to are:

• Hamas/Islamic terrorism and indiscriminate killing of civilians by Israeli military forces.
  • Mistreatment of innocent hostages and detainees by both Hamas and Israel.
  • Religious extremists, whether they are by Hamas or Israeli settlers, who claim all of the Holy Land exclusively for their tribe. 

Do I expect ALL of the protesters to agree with all of the above? No, but I suspect that many, if not most, would agree with the vast majority of my bullet points. After all, they are rather mainstream positions commonly held throughout the international community and have been official US foreign policy for decades.

Should I, therefore, expect to be labeled anti-Israel for holding them? If you're talking about individuals or groups who are anti-Israel insofar as they oppose the State itself or deny its right to exist, I'll happily label them anti-Israel. If you're talking about people who are opposed to the conduct of the war or are demanding a ceasefire, then that's a bullshit smear.

I simply feel that Visegrad plays too fast and loose with the term "anti-Israel" in a lot of its tweets.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Should I, therefore, expect to be labeled anti-Israel

Yes. Your very essence demands it. 

22 minutes ago, bolverk said:

If you're talking about people who are opposed to the conduct of the war or are demanding a ceasefire, then that's a bullshit smear.

When combined with your posting on the matter it is most certainly not a bullshit smear. 

24 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Can you explain why being pro-Palestinian is necessarily anti-Israel, as the author of the tweet frames it?

Can you explain why its always the author of the tweet, or even the sharer of the tweet, that becomes the subject of litigation, except when its visegrad24. Is it because people find it easiet to discredit the messenger than the message?

I believe it was bill shakespeare who said “a rose by any other name would post such a tweet”

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Can you explain why its always the author of the tweet, or even the sharer of the tweet, that becomes the subject of litigation, except when its visegrad24. Is it because people find it easiet to discredit the messenger than the message?

I believe it was bill shakespeare who said “a rose by any other name would post such a tweet”

Ah, so you're not interested in an honest conversation. I took the time to answer your question with a thorough response. You just delete all that shit and then throw out more accusatorial queries. Finished engaging with you.

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

I absolutely hate pussy ass mother fuckers like this asshole.  Calls other people pussies while wearing brass knucks...take those off and see what happens bitch.

45 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I absolutely hate pussy ass mother fuckers like this asshole.  Calls other people pussies while wearing brass knucks...take those off and see what happens bitch.

That band of gypsies wasn’t going to do anything. You think the knuckles hadn’t any impact?  lol. Those idiots were scared shitless. 

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Ah, so you're not interested in an honest conversation. I took the time to answer your question with a thorough response. You just delete all that shit and then throw out more accusatorial queries. Finished engaging with you.

You have zero interest in an honest conversation. You’re interested in employing your CR tactics here, and they won’t work. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

That band of gypsies wasn’t going to do anything. You think the knuckles hadn’t any impact?  lol. Those idiots were scared shitless. 

Bullshit, the guy with the brass knucks was the biggest pussy of the bunch.  

He's clearly a graduate of the Kyle Rittenhouse school of tough guys...needs illegal weapons to feel like a real man...

Not one of the protestors budged an inch and he scurried off like the pussy he is.

Edited by DixonHur

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

Bullshit, the guy with the brass knucks was the biggest pussy of the bunch.  

He's clearly a graduate of the Kyle Rittenhouse school of tough guys...needs illegal weapons to feel like a real man...

Not one of the protestors budged an inch and he scurried off like the pussy he is.

They were very clearly scared of the guy. They only appeared as defiant as you thought they were because there were cops in the background. 

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

So apparently that dude was Rex. Good to know. 

Well, DrRexBeeperPorterKramerHouse has been raging like a roided-out asshole the past few days, so that checks out.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

So apparently that dude was Rex. Good to know. 

Yeah because a) I would ever waste time engaging these dickless nerds and b) have a Brooklyn accent. 

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Well, DrRexBeeperPorterKramerHouse has been raging like a roided-out asshole the past few days, so that checks out.

Raging?  I’ve not once even shown any emotion. You just aren’t accustomed to your narrative being challenged and your feathers are ruffled. 

Edited by Rex Kramer
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

This man is assaulting students! What are we paying you for? Bwaaaahahaa

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I was under the impression that visegrad24 was a polish state sponsored propaganda outlet. Is that not the case?

It very well could be. But that ‘baggage’ has never been dug up in the Ukraine thread while they were busy sniffing out the ‘good’ vs ‘bad’ accounts. 

The point being that people arent principled or consistent in whether they care about the message vs the messenger, they just cherry pick their vector of attack based on political alignment. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

You didnt remotely answer my question.

I asked why the people who interrogated each of pronghorns posts and sources, didnt do when it came to the visegrad24 post. All of them are inarguably the same tone — against the protestors. 

You counter-asked “why is pro-palestine framed as anti-israel”? Because greta thunberg, subject of the tweet, literally said this

Among the crowd of protesters waving Palestinian flags on Malmö’s town square was Greta Thunberg. “It is outrageous that Israel is allowed to participate”, said the environmental activist,

Not wanting Israel to have participation is not anti-israel?

Is protest “against Israel” not anti-Israel or is the guardian also wrong in its framing too?IMG_6266.thumb.jpeg.de75c9c5eb37a731955b8a2d0411f4e3.jpeg

Then you submitted a bunch of personal statements which i didnt ask for and am frankly not interested in. I dont say that to be insulting, I say that because I didnt have suspicion of your anti-whatever and dont think the honesty of your beliefs need to be brought to trial. 

59 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Because I’m making fun of cops for being stupid. 

I Don’t See Where They Were Stupid

From the article: “Three individuals, all of whom are KU students, were arrested without incident for criminal trespass at Anschutz Library when they entered and caused a disturbance as students were studying for finals.”

Good work. 

40 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Greta’s parents are anti-fascist, and some folks think that’s a bad thing?

I dont know anything about them but judging by their support for Antifa and their job raising a nutjob, I don’t want to. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

You didnt remotely answer my question.

I asked why the people who interrogated each of pronghorns posts and sources, didnt do when it came to the visegrad24 post. All of them are inarguably the same tone — against the protestors. 

That was NOT your question. This was:

image.thumb.png.cd12b3fe8ad3839b792376f3b09c24c7.png

You asked whether Visegrad was a trustworthy news source based on its editorial stance. I answered in the context of that tweet.

image.png.2770f24f82ee45ad67bee8698ffc4f33.png

Protesting Israel's participation in a silly talent contest does NOT constitute being ANTI-ISRAEL. So many fucking tweets in this thread continue to association protests about Israeli policy as meaning being against Israel as a nation or favoring Hamas.

PRO-PALESTINE =/= ANTI-ISRAEL

PRO-PALESTINE =/= PRO-HAMAS

The remainder of my answer explains why I reject that framing of the situation.

You counter-asked “why is pro-palestine framed as anti-israel”? Because greta thunberg, subject of the tweet, literally said this

Not wanting Israel to have participation is not anti-israel?

In that clip, she doesn't say she is anti-Israel, as the tweet claims. Go back and listen to the clip.

Is protest “against Israel” not anti-Israel or is the guardian also wrong in its framing too?IMG_6266.thumb.jpeg.de75c9c5eb37a731955b8a2d0411f4e3.jpeg

Where the fuck in that headline does it say "anti-Israel"? It says people are protesting the Israeli competitor's participation in a talent contest. That doesn't mean they're against Israel as a nation.

Then you submitted a bunch of personal statements which i didnt ask for and am frankly not interested in. I dont say that to be insulting, I say that because I didnt have suspicion of your anti-whatever and dont think the honesty of your beliefs need to be brought to trial. 

All of that other text you deleted explained the nuance and context that you are apparently not grasping.

Protesting AGAINST AN ACTION by an entity DOES NOT MEAN you are AGAINST THE ESSENCE of that entity.

EDIT: Let's make this very clear and simple.

I am against ketchup on steaks. I will protest you pouring ketchup on my steak.

That does not mean I am anti-ketchup. I like ketchup on french fries just fine. 

Edited by bolverk

Guys, when noted tabloid guardian writes “thousands protest against Israel”, it doesnt mean the people are “anti-israel”.

Its especially more true if you write it in bold burnt orange text.

(Will you extend this interpretive generosity towards people protesting against immigration, for example?)

Its a silly singing contest, yes. But instead of recognizing the prima facie ABSURDITY of thousands of people protesting a single 20 year old girl participating in a silly singing contest, led by a teenager otherwise known for climate activism (what a high credibility icon!)….youre contorting yourself inside out to search for the REAL nuance. 

Fella, you are lost in the sauce. 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Protesting Israel's participation in a silly talent contest does NOT constitute being ANTI-ISRAEL. So many fucking tweets in this thread continue to association protests about Israeli policy as meaning being against Israel as a nation or favoring Hamas.

While I agree with your premise, I think the folks protesting against an Israeli participating in a "silly talent contest" tip-toes the line of being anti-Israel.  

Unless I missed it, this lady didn't say anything negative about Palestine.  She's as innocent as any of us who were against the invasion of Irag/Afghanistan after 9/11, but happen to live in the US. 

How does stopping her from being in a talent show move their agenda forward?  She just wants to sing.

• Hook 'Em 1

• bolverk changed the title to Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread