Austin Brunch Spots besides Skrip Clubs

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You planning for 2025?  Good luck this Sunday.

Yep.  At this point, your best bet is to think of someplace unconventional -- like mexican restaurants.  They'll have great breakfast food and drinks, but won't draw the crowds that are focused on "brunch."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, nothing too fancy cuz my wallet's empty - more like a local Denny's.

Just now, Bevo said:

Well, nothing too fancy cuz my wallet's empty - more like a local Denny's.

You could stand in line at a Kerbey Lane Cafe or Magnolia Cafe.

Or, aim for dinner.

• Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  At this point, your best bet is to think of someplace unconventional -- like mexican restaurants.  They'll have great breakfast food and drinks, but won't draw the crowds that are focused on "brunch."

Yeah, I'm thinking outdoor places like Hula Hut - but the weather may not cooperate. But, a good list for future reference would be nice as well.

Does Perla's or some place similar do a brunch?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This-do you have a time machine?  I made reservations a month ago and still didn’t get my preferred option.

Your best bet is to go someplace like Paperboy or Sour Duck that either doesn’t take reservations or keep a bunch of tables available for walk-ins.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, I'm thinking outdoor places like Hula Hut - but the weather may not cooperate. But, a good list for future reference would be nice as well.

Think of classic middlebrow mexican: Maudies, Joe's Bakery, Angie's, Juan in a Million.  Breakfast/brunch at every one of those places makes people happy.  No reservations, but plenty of seating, and you'll get in without a terrible wait.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Think of classic middlebrow mexican: Maudies, Joe's Bakery, Angie's, Juan in a Million.  Breakfast/brunch at every one of those places makes people happy.  No reservations, but plenty of seating, and you'll get in without a terrible wait.

Maybe I shouldn't have eliminated Skrip Clubs. How is the Prime Rib at Palazio?

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Personally I don’t care for any of those places (my greasy spoon Mexican diner of choice was Curra’s), but all of them are pretty crowded on a normal Sunday unless you’re really early.  Mother’s Day is going to be worse…

Loro is another one that doesn’t require a reserv

And...I mean....it's like you haven't even heard of Luby's.  Also check Mi Madre's.  For nicer W. Austin type options, Santa Rita or La Mancha or El Mercado.  Again, surely there will be a wait, but you'll get in.  Vazquez mexican restaurant is awesome, but not that nice/fancy.

Posted (edited)

I planned ahead and grabbed a spot at a few locations.  My wife promised to decide this afternoon.  If @Bevo will pay attention to this thread I'll post the moment I release the other reservations.  He might be able to snag one.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I planned ahead and grabbed a spot at a few locations.  My wife promised to decide this afternoon.  If @Bevo will pay attention to this thread I'll post the moment I release the other reservations.  He might be able to snag one.

You're misplaying your hand.  Try "For a hundred bucks I'll change the name on my reservation at _______, to @Bevo."

• Haha 1

I think Nixta also still has reservations for their ridiculously over priced Persian brunch (probably because $75 for three courses of Persian food and a date tart is obscene).   

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

South Congress area. But, does Congress go past UT?

I figured that's what you meant just wanted to make sure you were aware that congress runs north south.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I figured that's what you meant just wanted to make sure you were aware that congress runs north south.

Yeah, I got it. I was thinking areas rather than streets. I still needed to say South Congress, though. I post between seeing patients so I'm often not very clear. I was about to say the lake, but I figured there were places in South Congress and Barton Springs that I would consider if not now, at a later time.

Edited by Bevo

38 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, I got it. I was thinking areas rather than streets. I still needed to say South Congress, though. I post between seeing patients so I'm often not very clear. I was about to say the lake, but I figured there were places in South Congress and Barton Springs that I would consider if not now, at a later time.

El Meson would be a thought.

https://elmesontequileria.com/

For anyone needing a brunch reservation in Austin on Sunday, I have it on good authority that the following restaurants might each have one available:

Curra's (Duval St.)

Pappasito's

Manuel's (Jollyville Road)

Cover 3 (Anderson Lane)

13 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

image.png.7a36ce5a95f6d40fdd4d6af95fae4062.png

The Austin Club downtown is starting a Sunday Brunch open to the unwashed masses every 2nd & 4th Sunday, beginning June 9th.  11 am to 1:30 pm.  Only $22.95.  Bloodys and champagne are extra, of course!

On 5/8/2024 at 11:34 AM, Bevo said:

Oh Perla's has a brunch. It's also one of the most consistently busy and best places in Austin, IMO. So, uh, good luck. Like Jimmy said, I hope you're thinking about 2025. 

I made my reservations a month ago in fucking Houston, and the first 5-6 spots I thought of were booked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's also one of the most consistently busy and best places in Austin, IMO.

We live up north and typically don't like driving into downtown - so we'll go to some place like the Clay Pit which is much easier to get to. Downtown our go to used to be Ranch 616, but we need to get a new one. Every once in awhile we will go to Perla's, but I really had no clue that it was a big deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Hanks on Berkman. Get Hanks Breakfast on the patio. 

I take the dog there once a month. Everything is made in house. No Sisco bullshit.

It's also the go to brunch spot for every sorority so lots of eye candy.

Edited by MissingInAction

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

Hanks on Berkman. Get Hanks Breakfast on the patio. 

I take the dog there once a month. Everything is made in house. No Sisco bullshit.

Man, I want to like Hank’s so much but there’s just something off about the experience.  I don’t know if it’s the space, the other diners, etc.  I like that they have really tried to create a good place for a family to go eat and not feel like an Olive Garden and be relatively affordable.  It just feels a little empty, kind of like it’s not recovered from the pandemic.  

We have a reserv at El Naranjo but now my wife wants to go Sour Duck, so maybe @HenryJames will be there and I can say “Hi!  I’m from the internet!” like a real winner.