Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

44 minutes ago, mchookem said:

any surly opinions on this one yet?

i hate the title.

83% on RT but i feel like that can't be trusted anymore. 

RT is the only site you can trust. It has both critic & audience scores

12 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

audience scores are useless

You have to combine them.

High critic + High audience = must see

High critic + Low audience = don't see, will probably win awards

Low critic + High audience = probably a solid comedy

Low critic + Low audience = my wife's favorite movie

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

You have to combine them.

High critic + High audience = must see

High critic + Low audience = don't see, will probably win awards

Low critic + High audience = probably a solid comedy

Low critic + Low audience = my wife's favorite movie

Try to imagine how dumb the average person and then realize that most of the people going on rotten tomatoes to rate a movie are even dumber than that

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Wut? I trust imdb wayyyyy more than RT

I take it you enjoy the big bang theory

• Haha 1

RT audience score can be useful for certain movies that have a high self-selection audience. An example is the latest Guy Ritchie flick. People who go to see a Guy Ritchie film are generally fans who want to see a Guy Ritchie movie and all that entails. A high audience score tells you it hit the mark regardless of how the critics view the film.

I've always been a disciple of the Ebert school of review. it . I will watch anything from The Room to The Godfather and can enjoy it all with the right frame of mind. The critic and audience score combo will generally tell you what to expect as laid out by @Chuckie Finster, but I'd have different definitions.

High critic + High audience = well made, enjoyable on multiple levels. You might not like film if you don't like this.

High critic + Low audience = niche subject or plot, outside the realm of the vox populi. Possibly outstanding. Possibly horrendous.

Low critic + High audience = self-selecting audience who got what they were looking for and maker who couldn't care less about prestige. If you're one of the self-selecting, you'll love it. If not, you just don't get it, man.

Low critic + Low audience = Razzie nominee, possibly worth watching on an edible night.

• Hook 'Em 1

it was okay. lagged in the middle, i got drowsy lol. more exposition than action but the narrative didn't actually take you anywhere that interesting, there was no real climax or explanation of anything.

Caesar was missed. CGI was outstanding, but at a certain point you're just watching a cartoon. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, WBT said:

I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-a to chimpan-z

It's not hyperbole when I say, that may be my favorite Simpsons line ever.

Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Yes we finally made a monkey...

Yes, you finally made a monkey out of me!

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, mchookem said:

CGI was outstanding, but at a certain point you're just watching a cartoon. 

I liked the first two of this reboot series (the James Franco one and the Keri Russell one) but I run into problems with the CGI taking me out of them.  But I have the same issues with the Marvel movies and most current Hollywood blockbusters...the cgi just looks like cheap cartoons.

I don't think I saw the most recent one before this one.

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 4:51 PM, mchookem said:

it was okay. lagged in the middle, i got drowsy lol. more exposition than action but the narrative didn't actually take you anywhere that interesting, there was no real climax or explanation of anything.

Caesar was missed. CGI was outstanding, but at a certain point you're just watching a cartoon. 

Pretty good synopsis.

I found it to be a good, solid movie. Glad to see in theatres, doubt I'll watch it again type. Filming and scenes were great, story wasn't bad, just not overly engaging. Looking ahead I feel like the next one will be better without knowing much about it.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut