2025 Texas Baseball

petscii

• petscii changed the title to 2025 Texas Baseball build a schedule thread...

Thats a solid group. The fact that we can count on both the dallas and houston series is way underrated I feel. We always seem to play poorly in them but its still cool our team does both. Great way to start the season experience wise for both the fans and the team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, petscii said:

2/14-16: Texas, Louisville, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Clemson, Ole Miss.  GLOBE LIFE FIELD 

Well, shit. There's three losses.

Or does the Globe Life curse go away after we move to the SEC?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 9:25 PM, TrashMaster G said:

Well, shit. There's three losses.

Or does the Globe Life curse go away after we move to the SEC?

I only went back the the last few tournaments, but we can't lose to SEC teams there going forward right?

Edited by petscii

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Balcones said:

I’d imagine Tuesday games vs TCU, Tech and Baylor? 

I'm hoping for ASU and Arizona since they will be near to play their new bitches in the Big12.

Edited by petscii
  • Hook 'Em 2

• petscii changed the title to 2025 Texas Baseball
20 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

2025… 20 years since we won it all… fuck 

Well that’s kind of the pattern for Longhorn baseball.  Won the first two back to back, then a 25 year drought, then two in 8 years, then. 19 year drought, then two in 4 years, and now a 19 year drought

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I would be floored if we got more than 1 of those draft-eligible guys back. Constantine, Tole and Mercer are done (I don't think he's getting a medical redshirt) so that is 13ish guys that will be departing already before we even get into portal exits and there is a lot of fat that needs to be trimmed off the bottom of this roster. 

Honestly, outside of Gasparino, Belyeu, Galvan, Schuessler, Grubbs and Whitehead there ain't much on this roster I would lose sleep over if they left. Maybe throw Borba and Tumis in that mix but that's about it. We always get excited about young guys like Kennedy and Farmer and whatnot, but those dudes are a dime a dozen. Probably 20 dudes in the portal just like them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

HS class coming in for those interested. Rainer and Gillen will not be making it to campus. Sterling is also probably gone but there might be a small chance there. Flores/Richardson/Schwartz/DeGroat I've seen in draft lists and mocks but all were outside the top 100-150. We get 3 of 4 from that group on campus and it will be a good class.

https://www.perfectgame.org/College/CollegeCommitments.aspx?college=1829&grad=2024

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I would be floored if we got more than 1 of those draft-eligible guys back. Constantine, Tole and Mercer are done (I don't think he's getting a medical redshirt) so that is 13ish guys that will be departing already before we even get into portal exits and there is a lot of fat that needs to be trimmed off the bottom of this roster. 

Honestly, outside of Gasparino, Belyeu, Galvan, Schuessler, Grubbs and Whitehead there ain't much on this roster I would lose sleep over if they left. Maybe throw Borba and Tumis in that mix but that's about it. We always get excited about young guys like Kennedy and Farmer and whatnot, but those dudes are a dime a dozen. Probably 20 dudes in the portal just like them.

That’s an indictment if I’ve ever seen one. The cupboard will be as bare as its been in a long long time.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Assuming Whitehead regains his velo following surgery, he should at least compete for a Sunday/Tuesday role.

Which is wild, because Ace was the best starter on this staff for a large portion of the season. "Best" is relative, obviously.

Edited by MuellerHorn

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Chase Lummus has eligibility left at Texas but will not be using it, per OB. Either going into the real world or portaling down to a smaller school.

Chase graduated in May with a Communications degree.  He is almost 24.   Hope he is a late round draft choice or free agent contract if he chooses.  

14 hours ago, troph said:

That’s an indictment if I’ve ever seen one. The cupboard will be as bare as its been in a long long time.

Also means whatever CDC does, he better do it fast. Lots of work that needs to be done this offseason.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Ages, for reference and draft context:

LBJ (c/o 2020), JT and Flores (c/o 2022) are all 21-ish. 

Gage is nearly 23. Dre will turn 24 before draft day.

Unless we throw Gage's brother a spot to get Gage for another year, I'd be surprised if any are back

Edited by UnhappilyMarried

4 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Ages, for reference and draft context:

LBJ (c/o 2020!!), JT and Flores (c/o 2022) are all 21. 

Gage is nearly 23. Dre will turn 24 before draft day.

I don't think any of them will be back (except for an alumni game). 🤘

Texas will host LSU next year for a three game series in SEC play.

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/lsu/2024/05/15/lsu-baseball-2025-schedule-sec-teams-sec-baseball-jay-johnson/73688782007/

All 16 teams in the SEC will make the SEC baseball tournament starting May 20th.  Seeds 1-4 get a double-bye, seeds 5-8 get a single bye, and the tournament is single elimination. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, WBT said:

That's a lot of baseball teams in Bumfuck, AL

I'm willing to bet money that it will be at a MLB stadium within 10 years.  

Edited by petscii

If we assume Flores, Thomas, LBJ, Witt, Boehm and Duplantier are all gone, this is what the roster numbers look like for returning guys:

C (4): Galvan, Schuessler, Service, Sanders

INF (3): Borba, Kennedy, J. Duplantier

OF (5): Gasparino, Belyeu, Cummings, Farmer, Peterson (redshirted)

RHP (7): Grubbs, Howard (lol), Selvig, Hamilton, Tumis, O'Hara, Zaharias (hurt this year)

LHP (5): Whitehead, Shaw, Santos (hurt this year), Harrison, Bertsch (redshirted)

24 total. Pretty depressing.

Edited by Hookem2147

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If we assume Flores, Thomas, LBJ, Witt, Boehm and Duplantier are all gone, this is what the roster numbers look like for returning guys:

C (4): Galvan, Schuessler, Service, Sanders

INF (3): Borba, Kennedy, J. Duplantier

OF (5): Gasparino, Belyeu, Cummings, Farmer, Peterson (redshirted)

RHP (7): Grubbs, Howard (lol), Selvig, Hamilton, Tumis, O'Hara, Zaharias (hurt this year)

LHP (5): Whitehead, Shaw, Santos (hurt this year), Harrison, Bertsch (redshirted)

24 total. Pretty depressing.

2 weekend starters (both Big 12 Conference HM), Big 12 POY, 1 Big 12 All-Freshman, 5 starters (2 Big 12 HM) with total 52 HRs... 

Has it ever been this bad?

4 minutes ago, Balcones said:

2 weekend starters (both Big 12 Conference HM), Big 12 POY, 1 Big 12 All-Freshman, 5 starters (2 Big 12 HM) with total 52 HRs... 

Never better. And luckily Pierce has shown he can plug in 5 quality bats, find a Friday guy, and overhaul a bullpen in a single offseason

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Balcones said:

If you don't see the gaping holes on that roster I don't know what to tell you. Yes, I would be very pleased to welcome back Gasparino, Belyeu, Galvan and Schuessler from last year. But it gets pretty damn scary pretty damn fast after you get past those guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

If you don't see the gaping holes on that roster I don't know what to tell you. Yes, I would be very pleased to welcome back Gasparino, Belyeu, Galvan and Schuessler from last year. But it gets pretty damn scary pretty damn fast after you get past those guys. 

hopefully SeC baseball isn’t a very ride awakening for UT baseball.