The Iranian President's helicopter has crashed

Bullneck

10 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Thanks for the kind words. 

Adding a bit more color: 

- His two sons (my dad and his younger brother) were already living in the US when he died. One of my aunts and her husband were too afraid to attempt to escape Iran. They still live there but are able to visit family in the U.S.  My other aunt, her husband, and two children (5 and 3 years old, my cousins) escaped the country. They travelled at night by horseback through treacherous terrain (similar to where Raisi's helicopter crashed) and were able to avoid mercenaries with help of friends and total strangers (many of them being Muslim). They got to Turkey, eventually to Spain, and after a couple of years received their visas and moved to California.  

- My grandfather wanted to give money and flowers to his oppressors for a couple of reasons. One, he believed living a lie was far worse than death. He of course wanted to live and be with his family, but once he realized they would never release him from prison, he preferred dying to rotting in jail and being tortured/roughed up. Secondly, he believed they were just following orders from Khomeini and did not want them to feel any guilt. That is why he thanked Raisi and Co. and showed them love when they ordered his execution.

- For me, his story is a gift. I never met him and have no personal trauma as I was too young to understand what was going on. I truly feel lucky that this is part of my family background. What an incredible North Star to guide me and the principles we hold as a family and pass down to our children.

- "Take my body and bury it in Baba Salman" reads tough as fuck to me. I love it. 

Thank you for sharing. The Baha’i I have known have all been cultured, kind, smart, and tolerant. Which explains why they were targeted by one of the world’s most awful regimes.  Your grandfather’s story shows why they cannot last forever. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ever been stoned to near death while listening to Mountain?

I got stoned once on a mountain while laughing at the Lamar scene in "Revenge of the Nerds."  Is that anything?  

• Drool 1

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ever been stoned to near death while listening to Mountain?

No but I did pack my bags for the misty mountains, where the spirits go now.