Star Wars Episode IX

Red Five

9 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

She says "There was no father, I carried him, I gave birth to him, I can't explain". It's heavily implied virgin-birth in the sense of she didn't fuck some dude and get knocked up not virgin-birth in the sense she'd never had sex at all. So not really virgin-birth, just us using that term colloquially. 

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

In Phantom Menace, she's 14 and he's a person and he's 9. 

and his name is Anakin! 

and there's a storm coming.

Not sure how I feel.

Spoiler

lucasfilm-logo-split.jpg?w=1000&h=562&cr

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/lucasfilm-star-wars-rise-of-the-skywalker-producer-michelle-rejwan-1203245459/

Lucasfilm has hired “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” producer Michelle Rejwan as senior vice president of live action development and production.

Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy made the announcement Monday. Rejwan was a co-producer on 2015’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” a co-producer on JJ Abrams’ “Star Trek: Into Darkness” and an associate producer on “Super 8.”

Rejwan will oversee a new slate of feature films and episodic series for Lucasfilm and Disney Plus and continue to produce with Kennedy on the “Star Wars” franchise.

“Working with Michelle over the last seven years as a producer on both ‘The Force Awakens’ and now ‘The Rise of Skywalker,’ I have seen first-hand her skills collaborating with writers and directors, and I’ve been incredibly impressed with her creative skills and her ability to manage the complexity surrounding these massive projects,” said Kennedy. “I know the importance of building a team that you trust and have fun working with – it is paramount to our success.”

“There’s an exciting momentum building around the future of the franchise, and both myself and the Lucasfilm team look forward to working with Michelle in shaping the future in all areas of story development, from theatrical film development to live action content for Disney Plus,” she added.

Okay, here's how I feel.  The internets tell me she's in her mid-to-late 30s.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2038668/

She co-produced TFA, and is producing ROS.

The rest of her credits are really fucking thin.  Maybe she's brilliant in some way, but holy shit, putting her as senior VP of Star Wars live-action development and product, this smacks of a Kathleen Kennedy move and not a "this will be great for Star Wars" move.

And I know there has got to be some insane turf battles going on at Disney/Lucas after Solo, TLJ, and the success of Marvel.

Edit: I'm not asking for some neckbeard who has a more accurate memory than Wookipedia about what Chewbacca's wife was named or whatever, I just want somebody like a Kevin Feige who has both a deep knowledge of Star Wars lore, and who can find the people to make make good movies.  I have absolutely no confidence in a JJ Abrams/Kathleen Kennedy protege - Abrams is a gun for hire who basically remade A New Hope, and KK is coasting on fumes with the fanbase.

Edited by atomheartbevo

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting observations from the trailer they mentioned above:

Spoiler
  1. Rey has Luke's lightsaber that was supposedly destroyed in the last movie.
  2. Leia is holding the medal she presented the trio in ANH
  3. The Falcon has the round deflector/satellite dish again.

He's theorizing they could fuck with time travel, and it's the one thing Star Wars has avoided.

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hide contents

He's theorizing they could fuck with time travel, and it's the one thing Star Wars has avoided.

If they do that, this movie is going to suck for sure.  Star Wars is not a sci-fi series.  It’s a samurai film set in space.

God damn, this franchise has completely lost its way.  

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hide contents

They're not doing time travel. Good God.

Rey showed Leia the lightsaber at the end of TLJ. Not hard to think she could fix it given a year time frame between the two movies.

Medal would probably be Han's and since they were married, she had it.

The dish could just be something they picked up along the way. 

those videos are just the RLM media guys throwing cynical shit at the wall knowing that some of it will stick because it is impossible to underestimate the creative direction behind this franchise. they're not trying to accurately predict so much as get a few things right that will be amusing to point out afterwards-- they did the same thing with Last Jedi or Solo, I forget which.

also, the RLM guys know that Disney will pander to the nostalgia-addicted Gen Xers, because it's profitable to do so, so a lot of their predictions are based on that

In Star Trek, a TV and movie universe that has introduced time travel before (Star Trek IV, the Joan Collins episode from the old TV show). Not to mention wormholes, alternate realities, doppelgangers, etc. 

Edited by mdmost

In Star Trek, a TV and movie universe that has introduced time travel before (Star Trek IV, the Joan Collins episode from the old TV show). Not to mention wormholes, alternate realities, doppelgangers, etc. 

Probably right but never discount the notion of necessity being the mother of invention (though not always good invention)

The original televised Star Trek series was 79 50 minute episodes. So roughly 66 hours of content to drive. The Star Wars films by themselves probably make up half that number. Yes there is since a lot of “filmed” Star Wars content but it’s not remotely in the same universe as the amount that is out there from all the subsequent Star Trek movies, series etc etc etc.

At some point you run into the issue of thinking you have to come up with something new and novel to create content fill time and drive the story further.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:11 PM, ztejas said:

Sam Jackson is great, too. 

Also kind of agree with you on the script killing Hayden more than anything else. He's actually pretty serviceable imo in ROTS - too much cheese but he has some good moments, especially towards the end when everything flips. I think he's good in the scene where he saves Palpatine. 

Yeah Hayden isn't Daniel Day Lewis by any stretch.... but he's a serviceable enough actor (he's very good in SHATTERED GLASS) that his prequel version of Anakin could/would be remembered fondly if he had better material to work with.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:13 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Hide contents

Actually no.  They broached that in the last season of Rebels in a very logical, and cool way.

Of course that was helmed by Dave Filoni, the true shining light of the Disney Star Wars universe that no one outside of fans of the Clone Wars, Rebels, and Resistance, know about.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:08 AM, BrickHorn said:

If they do that, this movie is going to suck for sure.  Star Wars is not a sci-fi series.  It’s a samurai film set in space.

God damn, this franchise has completely lost its way.  

Dude that's just wrong.  It's more than that.  It's a western, samurai, space opera.

They've done time travel before in a really enclosed and well done way...not sure they could do it in the movies though.

• 1 month later...

You joke, but this is JJ Abrams. My completely uninformed opinion is that the macguffin is some kind of time travel device. 

I was watching the red letter media guys talking about about this, and their opinion is that they almost have to do some kind of time travel, because that last movie left them nowhere to go. 

They've always had time travel in the Star Wars series.  It's called the Jump to Hyperspace via Lightspeed.  You can go really fast to get from one end of the galaxy to the other in mere minutes.  What will be introduced in this final installment will be a Lightspeed system so powerful, you can travel forward in time.  I dunno.  Poster does kick ass though. 

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

[spiler] So Abrams is just going to jump ahead several years, Rey and Kylo had a kid and then they split, and that kid is the last Skywalker referenced in the title?  That's what the big battle is for - the baby great-grandchild of Darth Vader?  [/spoiler]

On 6/17/2019 at 11:38 AM, Smax said:

Ive wondered why when palpy was confronted by mace and they fought. He tells the senate the jedi attack (his lightening) deformed him yet when he unloads on Luke, he doesnt suffer the same fate

Mace deflected the force lightning.  It struck Palpatine in the face numerous times, and we saw his face becoming deformed with each blast.

It was also stray force lightning that shorted out/disabled Vader's iron lung body suit, causing his death.

Sith Rey looks interesting but is probably a Force vision. Would be a nice twist if they made her evil and have Ben pull her back. Wonder if the fleet in the lightning field is JJ's way to unwind the lack of Resistance ships. And hey, maybe we'll see a B-Wing actually fighting in this one. Always felt that was an annoying tease in ROJ. You see the B-Wing flying but never fighting. 

Edited by mdmost

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

They've always had time travel in the Star Wars series.  It's called the Jump to Hyperspace via Lightspeed.  You can go really fast to get from one end of the galaxy to the other in mere minutes.  What will be introduced in this final installment will be a Lightspeed system so powerful, you can travel forward in time.  I dunno.  Poster does kick ass though. 

Not to go all super nerd here, but... no... that's not how the concept of hyperspace works.  Technically they aren't "going really fast."  They're using the ship's hyperdrive/FTL/warp/whatever you want to call it to warp space-time in order to quickly move from one fixed point in the galaxy to another.  That's not "time travel" in the sense of being able to moved backward (or forward) in time and view/take part in events that have already happened or "will" happen. 

They are still moving forward at a fixed rate on the "time" portion of space-time.

38 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Sith Rey looks interesting but is probably a Force vision. Would be a nice twist if they made her evil and have Ben pull her back. Wonder if the fleet in the lightning field is JJ's way to unwind the lack of Resistance ships. And hey, maybe we'll see a B-Wing actually fighting in this one. Always felt that was an annoying tease in ROJ. You see the B-Wing flying but never fighting. 

IIRC, I remember reading that they had planned to make the B-wings a much bigger part of the space battle over Endor but they had problems getting them to show up/look right using the rotoscoping/motion control technology at the time.  I guess their thin profile caused problems as they layered more and more shots on top of each other to create the battle.

I mean, yeah. the Sith Rey is obviously supposed to be the big "wow" thing in this reel, but does anyone actually believe Rey is going to the dark side?

Come on. It's clearly like a dark side force vision or otherwise some kind of shot that's clearly a misdirection.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I mean, yeah. the Sith Rey is obviously supposed to be the big "wow" thing in this reel, but does anyone actually believe Rey is going to the dark side?

Come on. It's clearly like a dark side force vision or otherwise some kind of shot that's clearly a misdirection.

it's a clone, like the Luke clone at the end of the Zahn trilogy